Class of 2016 - What is the likelihood we add anyone in addition to Thompson for next year? | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 What is the likelihood we add anyone in addition to Thompson for next year?

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
I realize that if we did add Thompson, it would mean someone would leave our team unexpectedly.

There are a couple candidates to do so - Joseph & potentially Coleman, with his injuries, being the most likely. As of right now, it seems to me that Coleman is doing OK physically so I can't really see him leaving early unless he just doesn't want to play anymore, or doesn't want a reduced role on the team.

Anyone have any other thoughts/insight on this? We could definitely use another guard, IMO. Although Battle/Richardson/Howard isn't a bad trio to have I don't think.

SUFan44 said:
I realize that if we did add Thompson, it would mean someone would leave our team unexpectedly. There are a couple candidates to do so - Joseph & potentially Coleman, with his injuries, being the most likely. As of right now, it seems to me that Coleman is doing OK physically so I can't really see him leaving early unless he just doesn't want to play anymore, or doesn't want a reduced role on the team. Anyone have any other thoughts/insight on this? We could definitely use another guard, IMO. Although Battle/Richardson/Howard isn't a bad trio to have I don't think.

We have a scholarship available for Thompson. No one has to leave.

I would hope we're looking for some to replace Joseph if he leaves.

Yeah, my post is a little unclear at the beginning. I implied if we add Thompson, we would be at our limit. Adding one more would mean someone leaving that has eligibility left.

Would Quade Green make too much sense?

Isn't he class of 2017?
Man what a bummer, so aren't in on any 2016 pgs?
Going into next season without at least one true ball handler is asking to ruin a potentially great season... imo...

We have one scholarship, and Thompson appears to be the staff's priority.

That could change if we have a transfer after the season, but that would probably be difficult timing to get involved with any top caliber recruits. On the other hand, it might make us an attractive option for a 5th year senior transfer.

Howard.

Going into next season without at least one true ball handler is asking to ruin a potentially great season... imo...

Dear Mr. Battle: I know we promised that you would play point guard, but we changed our mind.

Bad form

Dear Mr. Battle: I know we promised that you would play point guard, but we changed our mind.

Bad form
We can still let Battle play PG but it would be nice to have another ball handler in place of Joseph who I really can't see staying. He's a great kid with some talent to play the game but its become obvious (to me) he's not going to play at SU. He's only getting time with the walk ons now. A 5th year senior PG to relieve Battle would be a great addition to next years team (along with Thompson). If he can hit the 3 even better. Coleman is a tricky situation. He's finally rounding into form. I hope we get to benefit from the hard work he has put in but I couldn't blame him if he left. He hasn't had the type of season that makes the NBA a reality but if he has a chance to play for pay over seas he might jump while he is healthy. I hope he stays. A front line with Coleman, Roberson, Chukwa, Thompson, Moyer and Lydon could stand up to any team in the country. Add in a backcourt of Battle, Richardson and Howard and SU could be scary good.

We can still let Battle play PG but it would be nice to have another ball handler in place of Joseph who I really can't see staying. He's a great kid with some talent to play the game but its become obvious (to me) he's not going to play at SU. He's only getting time with the walk ons now. A 5th year senior PG to relieve Battle would be a great addition to next years team (along with Thompson). If he can hit the 3 even better. Coleman is a tricky situation. He's finally rounding into form. I hope we get to benefit from the hard work he has put in but I couldn't blame him if he left. He hasn't had the type of season that makes the NBA a reality but if he has a chance to play for pay over seas he might jump while he is healthy. I hope he stays. A front line with Coleman, Roberson, Chukwa, Thompson, Moyer and Lydon could stand up to any team in the country. Add in a backcourt of Battle, Richardson and Howard and SU could be scary good.
Howard is the back up point guard. He shows point guard instincts and with Battle and Moyer to go with the rest of the returning cast, we have a very good passing team. It should be a fun team to watch next year.

Howard is the back up point guard. He shows point guard instincts and with Battle and Moyer to go with the rest of the returning cast, we have a very good passing team. It should be a fun team to watch next year.
Best returning passer may be Lydon. He should have had a few more assists last night but Roberson (love him as I do) still struggles to finish.

Should be interesting to see, should Richardson return (fingers crossed), whether he'll play in the backcourt or front court, or more likely both. Imagine he may start in the backcourt with Tyus Battle, and have F. Howard coming off the bench (similar to the Triche, Rautins, Jardine year when they brought the most true PG off the bench). All 3 with excellent size and athleticism for the top of the zone. I think the zone could be a real force next year, with a more average offensive team, trying to keep three shooters on the floor at all times.

Richardson is gone next year. No ifs ands or buts.

Battle at PG, Howard at SG, Moyer/Lydon at SF, Thompson/Roberson at PF and Chukwu/Coleman at Center. Joseph would have a role in the guard rotation. That's my call.

Battle at PG, Howard at SG, Moyer/Lydon at SF, Thompson/Roberson at PF and Chukwu/Coleman at Center. Joseph would have a role in the guard rotation. That's my call.
:eek:

Orijinal said:
Richardson is gone next year. No ifs ands or buts. Battle at PG, Howard at SG, Moyer/Lydon at SF, Thompson/Roberson at PF and Chukwu/Coleman at Center. Joseph would have a role in the guard rotation. That's my call.

Howard at SG?

Really?

You've seen him shoot, right?

We'd be among the worst shooting teams in the ACC.

On the other hand, it might make us an attractive option for a 5th year senior transfer.

I just hope we don't leave any open scholarships. It sucks being shorthanded every year. These 5th year seniors seem to be prospering all over the country. Seems like the Cuse could benefit. And I didn't realize this but we could even get a grad transfer from another ACC school. I guess there are no rules against it as Adam Smith from Georgia Tech played his undergrad at Va Tech and then did the 5th year thing. Hopefully our staff is already laying some foundation down for any potential transfer. One guy I thought of but I don't think he would be eligible until next year would be Tyler Cavanaugh.

Joseph won't be here. That's my call.
MR stays to show his stuff as a 2G.

I don't see a 5th year coming in as a back up

That's how I'm feeling. Ive heard people throwing around the 5th year transfer possibility a lot. But assuming everyone returns, we would have to find somebody who is willing to come off the bench AND compete with Howard if a guard, Moyer if a forward, and Coleman if a center, just to get any playing time at all. Seems unlikely to me.

I don't think Howard should be pencilled in as a guarantee for playing time next year. He has great vision and passing ability but needs to develop a jumpshot & scoring ability.

Assuming Mali comes back, he and Lydon with both be fringe lottery picks and the focus of our offense. That means scoring chances for Battle and whoever backs him up.

Roberson won't be a having the offense run through him. Pick and rolls, rebounding etc.

Chukwu will play the Fab Melo role

Moyer and Thompson and/or DC is great depth.

Howard is solid but I'd love a 5th year transfer who can drill the 3 ball coming off the bench.

I can see a 5th year coming in as a back up for sure. Look at the kid at George Washington from Dartmouth. Same type of situation.

TT seems like a high priority for the staff but how does he feel about SU? Is there a good chance he will be Orange?

I realize that if we did add Thompson, it would mean someone would leave our team unexpectedly.

There are a couple candidates to do so - Joseph & potentially Coleman, with his injuries, being the most likely. As of right now, it seems to me that Coleman is doing OK physically so I can't really see him leaving early unless he just doesn't want to play anymore, or doesn't want a reduced role on the team.

Anyone have any other thoughts/insight on this? We could definitely use another guard, IMO. Although Battle/Richardson/Howard isn't a bad trio to have I don't think.
I think they to this the word "IF" THAT WORD in regards to Thompson is the difference between a very good team next year and a big run to the FF IMO.We could use a shooter from the arc but so could every team in the NCAA.
Thompson gives solid depth in the foul troubles our big men suffer going back to Rak and prior. No reason to think that Chukwu will be any different at this point. I like Lydon at the wing with Roberson on the other.Add Battle and even the remote possibility that Malachi stays there is a very good back court hellp on the boards.