What is the process - or who is our NIL GM? | Syracusefan.com

What is the process - or who is our NIL GM?

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
I'm sure it is posted in the 85 page Jesse thread but can I get a Cliff notes version of how the process works.

People without the initials AW give money to the 315 fund. From there who decides who gets what and who puts a value on a player? Red has to be included in any offers no? Just curious and sorry if already asked and answered.

I'm sure it is posted in the 85 page Jesse thread but can I get a Cliff notes version of how the process works.

People without the initials AW give money to the 315 fund. From there who decides who gets what and who puts a value on a player? Red has to be included in any offers no? Just curious and sorry if already asked and answered.
I have one scenario to inquire about. And let's use Weitsman in this example, even though he is stepping aside.

Red and staff identify players they like. They then begin prioritizing/recruiting as they've always done (or remarkably similar). At what point does the NIL package get floated from someone like Weitsman to the player and how does he know the staff's priority list?

How does the NIL group (or individual) know exactly which player(s) to engage with to make sure they are not offering a package to someone that is not our primary target for a certain position?

With recruiting being so fluid, sometimes evolving/devolving by the hour, I wonder how this process flows. And it makes me warry of "the program is not involved with the NIL" storyline.

Any help on understanding this? Thanks.

I'm afraid Red is in a really tough spot. Jesse was asking for a very reasonable number given his talents, and if Cuse couldn't meet his demand, there's no way they ever get the players necessary to resurrect the program. Jesse will get far more than what he was asking for from Cuse in the portal. Hopefully Red is doing everything he can to let leadership know he's dead before he even started unless they procure boosters with a sutiable amount of NIL.

I'm afraid Red is in a really tough spot. Jesse was asking for a very reasonable number given his talents, and if Cuse couldn't meet his demand, there's no way they ever get the players necessary to resurrect the program. Jesse will get far more than what he was asking for from Cuse in the portal. Hopefully Red is doing everything he can to let leadership know he's dead before he even started unless they procure boosters with a sutiable amount of NIL.
The number being reasonable is open for interpretation.

What was the number he was asking for?

I have one scenario to inquire about. And let's use Weitsman in this example, even though he is stepping aside.

Red and staff identify players they like. They then begin prioritizing/recruiting as they've always done (or remarkably similar). At what point does the NIL package get floated from someone like Weitsman to the player and how does he know the staff's priority list?

How does the NIL group (or individual) know exactly which player(s) to engage with to make sure they are not offering a package to someone that is not our primary target for a certain position?

With recruiting being so fluid, sometimes evolving/devolving by the hour, I wonder how this process flows. And it makes me warry of "the program is not involved with the NIL" storyline.

Your questions are at the core of what is acceptable process according to the NCAA, and if your questions are answered honestly then it opens pandora's box to potential violations.

People here will argue the NCAA is meaningless and toothless in today's environment, but the reality is it still exists and the threat is there. Until schools and universities officially proclaim there is no need (or at least a very minimal need) for it to exist in the name of "amateurism" the NCAA continues to be a governing body that has to be addressed.

Last edited:
If that's true, and they're saving up for, say, Hunter Dickinson, they better not swing and miss. Bold strategy. Bird in the hand etc. etc.

But my fear is they simply don't have the booster money.
Not Hunter. Every team is going to have a cap and they need to be prepared to tell someone no if the ask is excessive. This isn't a blank check situation. At some point there's a limit and if someone else wants to be a reckless spender because they've had three losing seasons and fewer sweet 16 appearances than SU has in the last decade, well, bye.

Much better wording on what I was trying to ask - thank you.

Not Hunter. Every team is going to have a cap and they need to be prepared to tell someone no if the ask is excessive. This isn't a blank check situation. At some point there's a limit and if someone else wants to be a reckless spender because they've had three losing seasons and fewer sweet 16 appearances than SU has in the last decade, well, bye.
Saving up for Judah? He'll probably need a good sum of money. Someone better be ready with a check if he's returning to college. Without Judah or someone like Judah, and Jesse or someone like Jesse, this team is in trouble.

so what changed in his visa status that allows him to get NIL money?

I’m also curious about this. Maybe he wants to go to a team that’s playing a game outside the US so he can do that loophole thing and grab a check when he steps off the plane?

I’m also curious about this. Maybe he wants to go to a team that’s playing a game outside the US so he can do that loophole thing and grab a check when he steps off the plane?
if thats a thing, then why couldnt he just fly home and get a check?

So I see vague references to a high number but does anyone actually know what the number was? To be clear I am not saying it was or wasn't, just trying to firm up a fact here is all.

Or Cuse ponied up to the value that they thought he was worth and Jesse disagreed.
Well, yes. The offer didn't meet the demand, which is how deals die. But if the demand is far less than what he'll get in the open market portal, that indicates trouble on the horizon unless the war chest grows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom