What is the Team Doing Between Now and Fall Practice? | Syracusefan.com

What is the Team Doing Between Now and Fall Practice?

CA Monk

I'm Woke, But I'm Very Groggy.
Maybe y’all can help me with this.
Fall practice starts in early August right?
OK then, what are the players all doing between now and then?
Are they all on campus?
Are there unstructured workouts without coaches or something like that?
Are they working on drills on their own?

Are they all on campus?
Wolverine Time.

Are they all on campus?

Many are at home doing individual private workouts and getting some much needed rest and relaxation

While most players went home after finals and have been training, fishing, or relaxing there, a few never left campus and have been in town the entire time. Returning players and some transfers or freshmen are scheduled to report next week (Tuesday?), that’s about three weeks off. Following the 4th of July I think the final group of new players (transfers and freshman) will arrive on campus.

The summer strength and conditioning program probably starts on Wednesday and will run until the end of July with a small break around the 4th of July. The team will take about a week to ten days off before they return in early August for fall camp. Once fall camp opens the team will be together and grinding until they win the bowl game in December or January. Depending on when the bowl game is played, the team might get a week or so off following the end of the season (less if we play in the ACC Championship game, Dec. 2nd) before they start practice for the bowl game.

May 30th to January 1st with two one-week breaks is a 31 week grind and takes a ton of commitment. On top of the football related activities most of these guys are also taking summer classes (some summer classes started this week) and everyone will take a full academic load in the fall.

Last edited:
You'll know when fall camp starts in August. Who looked like they put time in the weight room? I know prior to the 2021 season, it was Garrett Shrader who came in looking the part and it's no surprise he wrestled the job away from TD.

I don't know if it's still true, but players used to take classes in summer school so they could have a lighter schedule during the fall semester.

Here's a high-level overview of the current requirements.

I suspect that most football players only enroll for 12 credits in the Fall semester. Likely true for hoops in the Spring semester as well.

NCAA Academic Eligibility Standards​

FULL TIME ENROLLMENT​

To be eligible to participate in organized practice sessions, compete, and receive an athletics scholarship a student-athlete must be enrolled in at least 12 units.

NCAA Academic Eligibility Standards​

FULL TIME ENROLLMENT​

To be eligible to participate in organized practice sessions, compete, and receive an athletics scholarship a student-athlete must be enrolled in at least 12 units. (If participating as a graduate student, the individual must be enrolled in a minimum of 9 units.) While remedial credit may satisfy enrollment requirements, student-athletes must be aware that these units do not count as credit towards degree (except for up to 6 units during his/her freshman year). Transfer student-athletes who are required to take English 99 and/or Math 40 must enroll in at least 15 units.

CREDIT HOUR REQUIREMENT​

Each year, all student-athletes must earn at least 18 units that count toward degree progress during the fall and spring semesters combined. Intercession units may also be used to meet this requirement, while summer units cannot.

SUMMER CREDIT HOURS​

Six summer credit hours may be used to satisfy the 24-credit-hour requirement when certifying a student-athlete entering his or her second year of collegiate enrollment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom