What is there to look forward to? | Syracusefan.com

What is there to look forward to?

Cuse House

All American
With this program? I am disheartened by the product. In all honestly, I love the way this team competes, and I like some of the pieces. Think Girard will be good and I believe Edwards will also be a solid player. Buddy is what he is, a really good shooter but lacking everywhere else.

Reality is that we may not be at rock bottom yet. Hughes is likely gone next year. Our recruiting has failed us (for the most part). I’m not a chicken little the sky is falling person but I just don’t see this being any better in the next 2-3 years. Then we go into the Uncertainty of replacing JB and who is going to coach next. Will they be able to draw players to Central N.Y.?

We may only be in the middle of our downward spiral. I don’t want to be Indiana or UCLA. Winters suck around here and a bad SU b-ball program makes them suck so much worse.

We didn't get our ass kicked or anything.

We should be back to a bubble team next year. Lowered expectations for the next coach are probably not the worst thing. Look how ready everyone was to drive out Hop back in 2016 for Jay Wright or whatever stupid ideas they preferred.

We didn't get our ass kicked or anything.

We should be back to a bubble team next year. Lowered expectations for the next coach are probably not the worst thing. Look how ready everyone was to drive out Hop back in 2016 for Jay Wright or whatever stupid ideas they preferred.
We’ve been competitive with the middle of the pack, but slowly getting worse the past few years. I hear what you’re saying but if we’re holding onto the fact we didn’t get blown out by ND or Vtech at home and that we can be a bubble team next year... kind of my point.

We’ve been competitive with the middle of the pack, but slowly getting worse the past few years. I hear what you’re saying but if we’re holding onto the fact we didn’t get blown out by ND or Vtech at home and that we can be a bubble team next year... kind of my point.

Yup. We play both again soon I don't know if we win either road rematch.

UVA and BC before those games won't be easy either but I think we will play well against both UVA and BC. I could see ND and VT both picking up right were both games ended but us struggling on the road badly.

Each time i watch Jim coach this year it reminds me of going to a concert to see someone like Paul Simon or The Stones. You appreciate the fact that the still have the energy to get out there but after a few songs it starts to feel strange as you remember seeing them at their prime and the reality of their decline and to a degree your own sets in.
Jim needs to retire.

It’s been the same story for years now. No substitutions, no real offensive game plan, hope other teams miss shots.

The only reason it’s worse this year is we don’t have the offensive talent (Battle) to single handedly win a few more games for us

It’s been the same story for years now. No substitutions, no real offensive game plan, hope other teams miss shots.

The only reason it’s worse this year is we don’t have the offensive talent (Battle) to single handedly win a few more games for us
Hughes is a better offensive player than battle.

The difference this year is the defense is much worse and that alone has caused a few more losses.

This hurts because i like the players on this team but Im done with the coaching staff. I understand only playing your best players and give JB a pass for the most part on that. But when your best players play like ( shoot like?) crap there is no excuse to only play 6 players. Coach your whole FN team. They may be SUs best players but 4 of them should be coming off the bench. Then when your best player struggles like Eli someone else can step up. You cant expect 4 should be bench players to step up every game. The coaches have to own this. They brought the players in and either they horribly misjudged the talent or they missed on the players they actually wanted. Buddy should not be starting as a sophmore and JGIII should not be starting as a frosh. They would give SU a very good bench...if they werent starting. JB has to do better. It is his responsibility. Nit is a pipe dream imo.

Quincy is going to be very good. I'm just afraid it will be in the G League.

I really expected him to be more advanced in his development this year.

But you can see things starting to click and that is the biggest potential upside for this team.

Renovations should keep attendance up for the next two years.

It's bad and not going to get better until a coaching change happens. It might hurt at first and we might wiff on a coach but it's beyond time to start that process.

Thanks, JB. It's been a great ride.

If we had next year's Edwards and Ajax at this point where would we be sitting?

I think there is a good chance we only have 2-4 losses and maybe get a look at being ranked, because we certainly have the offense.

With this program? I am disheartened by the product. In all honestly, I love the way this team competes, and I like some of the pieces. Think Girard will be good and I believe Edwards will also be a solid player. Buddy is what he is, a really good shooter but lacking everywhere e

disheartened too. Things to look forward to:
tracking transfer portal
jimmy and Roy matching up, limping on sidelines and seeing which team finishes over 500

Completely disagree. Hughes isn’t even close to the iso player Battle was.
There is not a right answer I guess. You are definitely not wrong Battle had a great talent when it came to hitting big shots off the 1 on 1 in close games. Battle was superb at getting into the paint and finishing tough shots. Hughes can score from more places on the floor and is clearly a better pure shooter. Battle also played on a better defensive team but worse offensive team, where rock fight iso ball was almost the strategy.

There is not a right answer I guess. You are definitely not wrong Battle had a great talent when it came to hitting big shots off the 1 on 1 in close games. Battle was superb at getting into the paint and finishing tough shots. Hughes can score from more places on the floor and is clearly a better pure shooter. Battle also played on a better defensive team but worse offensive team, where rock fight iso ball was almost the strategy.
I think Hughes is far and away a more complete player. Tyus has the athleticism and was more valuable in the zone. Was also clutch when we needed him. Hughes can shoot, pass, and get to the rim. He’s a better player right now.

Wow. I've not seen you this down on the squad, like ever. It's really bad if you've been infected as well.

Look, I love JB, and I'm highly appreciative of his incalculable contributions over the years. I think he is a top 10 all time great in college basketball. He's been the coach for my entire life, and it is difficult in that respect to envision what comes next.

But I can acknowledge BOTH his unparalleled past success / accomplishments AND the fact that the program has slipped into a sustained period of mediocrity. We are no longer an elite program -- the status quo has become the new normal -- and it won't change until there IS change.

When JB hangs 'em up, I will applaud him for his success, revel in all of his accomplishments, and salute him for the years of joy he's brought me as an SU fan. But I'll also look forward to the future and a new beginning.

It's beyond time.

Look, I love JB, and I'm highly appreciative of his incalculable contributions over the years. I think he is a top 10 all time great in college basketball. He's been the coach for my entire life, and it is difficult in that respect to envision what comes next.

But I can acknowledge BOTH his unparalleled past success / accomplishments AND the fact that the program has slipped into a sustained period of mediocrity. We are no longer an elite program -- the status quo has become the new normal -- and it won't change until there IS change.

When JB hangs 'em up, I will applaud him for his success, revel in all of his accomplishments, and salute him for the years of joy he's brought me as an SU fan. But I'll also look forward to the future and a new beginning.

It's beyond time.

As typical, we are on the same page and you express my thoughts much better than I probably would have said it.

If we had next year's Edwards and Ajax at this point where would we be sitting?

I think there is a good chance we only have 2-4 losses and maybe get a look at being ranked, because we certainly have the offense.

Lol these hypotheticals are hilarious to me. Not trying to pick on you.
You are saying taking a hypothetically developed year 2 Edwards and Ajak and placing them on this year's team?

This is what we've become. Thinking up absurd scenarios different from the reality and just day dreaming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom