What is wrong w ppl saying Mintz is completely fine? | Syracusefan.com

What is wrong w ppl saying Mintz is completely fine?

FutureCuse

Walk On
I'm listening to these ppl on ESPN radio, Steve Infanti who is a good guy, and clueless SU and Boeheim cheerleader Pauly on the SU payroll. These guys, despite witnessing what Mintz has done in multiple backbreaking-loss games, seem to think that no adjustment is needed where Mintz is concerned at the end of these crucial games that will decide our fate in March. Nope, all these airballs/misses, charges, fouls, turnovers etc etc to seal our losses to the likes of St John's, Pitt, Miami, UNC etc are AOK in their book. One of the callers pointed out that Symir +/- was +9 last night (best in game) and Mintz was -5 (worst!), and for the rest of the show Pauly was using sarcasm to poke fun at that stat because I guess that kind of reaction is all you can do when you're immature and wrong.

Someone help me. What am I missing here? Are we all blind to what Mintz has done at the end of these games? Is it because he's the sexy top 35 recruit and gets a pass on everything? Can you imagine what JG3 would be dealing with if he had this Mintz-end-of-game track record this season? He'd have to go into the witness protection program!

I'm listening to these ppl on ESPN radio, Steve Infanti who is a good guy, and clueless SU and Boeheim cheerleader Pauly on the SU payroll. These guys, despite witnessing what Mintz has done in multiple backbreaking-loss games, seem to think that no adjustment is needed where Mintz is concerned at the end of these crucial games that will decide our fate in March. Nope, all these airballs, charges, fouls, turnovers etc etc to seal our losses to the like of St John's, Pitt, Miami, UNC etc are AOK in their book. One of the callers pointed out Symir +/- was +9 last night (best in game) and Mintz was -5 (worst!), and for the rest of the show Pauly was using sarcasm to poke fun at that stat because I guess that kind of reaction is all you can do when you're wrong.

Someone help me. What am I missing here? Are we all blind to what Mintz has done at the end of these games? Is it because he's the sexy top 35 recruit and gets a pass on everything? Can you imagine what JG3 would be dealing with if he had this Mintz-end-of-game track record this season? He'd have to go into the witness protection program!
He’s also a good reason even as a freshman that we’re in a position to even argue about the outcome of these close games.

I'm listening to these ppl on ESPN radio, Steve Infanti who is a good guy, and clueless SU and Boeheim cheerleader Pauly on the SU payroll. These guys, despite witnessing what Mintz has done in multiple backbreaking-loss games, seem to think that no adjustment is needed where Mintz is concerned at the end of these crucial games that will decide our fate in March. Nope, all these airballs/misses, charges, fouls, turnovers etc etc to seal our losses to the likes of St John's, Pitt, Miami, UNC etc are AOK in their book. One of the callers pointed out that Symir +/- was +9 last night (best in game) and Mintz was -5 (worst!), and for the rest of the show Pauly was using sarcasm to poke fun at that stat because I guess that kind of reaction is all you can do when you're immature and wrong.

I'm not happy with it but at the same time I'm hoping the freshmen-itus is gone soon. There's a lot of pressure on Mintz. He made some mistakes. I still like is overall play though. I think he has great potential to be outrageously great!

The alternative is Symir Torrence. Symir plays hard and seems well liked. I’d have a beer with Symir. His talent level is not close to Judah’s.

He’s also a good reason even as a freshman that we’re in a position to even argue about the outcome of these close games.
The +/- stat really sticks out to me. Symir's was the best out of any Syracuse player (+9) while Mintz's was the worst at -5. You're assuming that Mintz wasn't the reason Syracuse didn't take a big lead (instead of just "keeping us in the game"). Isn't it possible with all of his missed shots and mistakes that he prevented us from taking control of the game and building a lead? With such a disparate 14 point difference in their +/-, I think that what I'm saying is a very fair point to make.

Last edited:
The +/- stat really sticks out to me. Symir's was the best out of any Syracuse player (+9) while Mintz's was the worst at -5. You're assuming that Mintz wasn't the reason Syracuse didn't take a big lead (instead of just "keeping us in the game"). Isn't it possible with all of his missed shots and mistakes that he prevented us from taking control of the game and building a lead? With such a disparate 14 point difference in their +/-, I think that what I'm saying is a very fair point to make.
Yes, fair point -- for this one game. Symir had a good game.
Symir does not do a lot on his own, but he might set up others, or defer to Girard -- where Mintz tries to make thing happen on his own. Some of that +/- comes from the final two minutes - a questionable charge call that took away an and-one situation and the second charge call where Mintz had to make something happen in short order and he almost did.
For the season, Mintz is right there with Edwards & Girard as our best player. ACC frosh of the week 3 times. So maybe this is part of the equation?

The alternative is Symir Torrence. Symir plays hard and seems well liked. I’d have a beer with Symir. His talent level is not close to Judah’s.
The ORtg on cbb reference doesn't estimate talent but it does estimate team points per possession by player. Torrence isn't a better talent but he's a better college point guard. If there is a problem with Torrence it's on defense but the offense more than offsets it

Last two years have been made worse with him on the bench so much

Last edited:
I mean, can't really complain since we basically had Mintz gift wrapped to us; very late in the cycle to boot. Having said that, he has significant warts in his game, that quite frankly, explain why he was rated where he was. Tweener guard that can't shoot from range; and, is somewhat out of control running an offense.

Heard the same things. The local media here is straight up trash.

Well your first problem is listening to Espn Radio, listening to Pauly and Jordan is literal torture. And Brent is mister high horse know it all.

So we've had game results that weren't what we hoped and Judah has been in the middle of not making some key plays.

But the thing is, you can see what he's trying to do. He doesn't have the finishing instincts yet. He's not experienced enough to know how to make the best play. But he is trying to make a play and is capable of getting in position for the play.

I don't know that we've had a lot of guys recently that even make it that far.

Syracuse is barely a top 100 market, you aren’t exactly getting the cream of the crop. Most good Newhouse alum end up in top 30 markets or cable broadcasting, not local drive time radio.

Not to mention you’re taught not to rock the boat because there are far more fans who will turn off the radio during negative coverage of a team versus positive coverage.

The ORtg on cbb reference doesn't estimate talent but it does estimate team points per possession by player. Torrence isn't a better talent but he's a better college point guard. If there is a problem with Torrence it's on defense but the offense more than offsets it

Last two years have been made worse with him on the bench so much

Judah and Symir have very similar AST% and Judah has the significantly better TOV% (twice as good).

Usually the better guard is going to be the one who finds others and takes care of the ball. That’s Mintz according to the advanced stats. And Mintz’s passing has markedly improved in December and January. His AST% now is better than the 25.6 number posted for the season.

So, ‘what accounts for Symir’s ORtg advantage?’, one might ask. It’s his artificially inflated and unusual FG% this year which I’ll say confidently would not hold up with more volume and higher usage. He is not a 3pt shooter (neither is Mintz). Both 3pt percentages can be thrown in the trash and lit on fire. Neither shoots with enough volume, minutes and possessions considered, for it to matter. Both can make a wide open one. Great.

Advanced stats can take you so far, then you have to use your eyeballs. Symir cannot create separation with his dribble and cannot put pressure on a defense. His stats mostly came in big minutes against lesser competition earlier in the season. When you look at the game logs against better competition, he’s done very very little. Judah is the much better defender at the top of the zone (again, minutes against poop teams skews Symir’s DRtg).

I just don’t see how Symir playing more helps us. It doesn’t improve the scoring from the PG position and it would make us too one dimensional with him in for Girard. It also doesn’t improve the scoring of those around him.

all im gonna say is the 2nd half of the miami game was the most selfish basketball ive seen from a cuse player maybe ever. he single handedly lost that game for us by repeatedly playing hero ball. hed get frustrated and have terrible body language, then go 1 on 5 again. and the last play last nite gave me similar vibes. gets the ball and wants to be the hero, doesnt look to pass. the other 4 guys could have just stayed on the bench, he wasnt giving it up under any circumstance. you just cant play that way, and he should know that whether hes a freshman or not.

Judah and Symir have very similar AST% and Judah has the significantly better TOV% (twice as good).

Usually the better guard is going to be the one who finds others and takes care of the ball. That’s Mintz according to the advanced stats. And Mintz’s passing has markedly improved in December and January. His AST% now is better than the 25.6 number posted for the season.

So, ‘what accounts for Symir’s ORtg advantage?’, one might ask. It’s his artificially inflated and unusual FG% this year which I’ll say confidently would not hold up with more volume and higher usage. He is not a 3pt shooter (neither is Mintz). Both 3pt percentages can be thrown in the trash and lit on fire. Neither shoots with enough volume, minutes and possessions considered, for it to matter. Both can make a wide open one. Great.

Advanced stats can take you so far, then you have to use your eyeballs. Symir cannot create separation with his dribble and cannot put pressure on a defense. His stats mostly came in big minutes against lesser competition earlier in the season. When you look at the game logs against better competition, he’s done very very little. Judah is the much better defender at the top of the zone (again, minutes against poop teams skews Symir’s DRtg).

I just don’t see how Symir playing more helps us. It doesn’t improve the scoring from the PG position and it would make us too one dimensional with him in for Girard. It also doesn’t improve the scoring of those around him.
It's not about the game logs. Mintz is a better shot scorer for sure. The gap between Torrence and Mintz in conference games gets bigger

Mintz takes so many bad shots that could be good shots by any of the other guys

Mostly agree. Symir looks up the court better though. Pass up to Girard for a layup in the first half was beautiful and is not a play Mintz would’ve made.

Very much agree. On this latest occasion he was out of control with ample time left. He put himself in a position where he had only one option - to shoot - himself. That is what he wanted - you have to have peripheral vision in case you get stuck like he did. Court awareness needs a lot of work. He has the talent but it is a team game and four guys standing around while you ignore them is never a winning scenario..

If there was a way to perform some type of brain surgery where you gave Symir a chunk of Judah's offensive aggressiveness (therefore making Judah less aggressive and Symir more aggressive), it would make both players better.

I think Symir is way too tentative offensively. I know it's a small sample size but Symir has made 6 out of 13 three-point attempts this year (46%). And he has an effective floater in the lane. He needs to shoot more and stop being so darn hesitant all the time.

It's not about the game logs. Mintz is a better shot scorer for sure. The gap between Torrence and Mintz in conference games gets bigger

Mintz takes so many bad shots that could be good shots by any of the other guys

So, Symir’s value over Judah isn’t in creating for others or scoring. It’s in giving up the ball and getting out of the way.

That’s interesting, if nothing else.

If there was a way to perform some type of brain surgery where you gave Symir a chunk of Judah's offensive aggressiveness (therefore making Judah less aggressive and Symir more aggressive), it would make both players better.

I think Symir is way too tentative offensively. I know it's a small sample size but Symir has made 6 out of 13 three-point attempts this year (46%). And he has an effective floater in the lane. He needs to shoot more and stop being so darn hesitant all the time.
If Benny/bell were scoring more, I think you could get away with symir but he’s not really that good he’s just older and the game is slower for him

Totaly agree

well doesnt the media have a vested interest in keeping fans engaged???

if yes, shouldnt they push whatever narrativ keeps the most possible people engaged?

isnt it exactly the trash you cite?

fair enough, the program is on the precipice of irrelevance and losing a lot of fans, most likely...

generally, humans in 2023 are living within a giant war of attention grabbage...which has many poor side effects on all of us...but there isnt really any way to stop it...other than education...and changing people's behavior and awareness of what is going on...but the problem with that is getting eveyone's attention long enough to transmit the message, obviously.

It would be interesting to know what - if anything - Boeheim isntructed Judah to do before his mad dash upcourt and offensive foul with plenty of time left.
Yeah, that and wasn’t there an inbound play where Benny had the ball for most of the possession before he passed to someone too late for a chuck at the hoop as the clock had run down? That huddle should have included a reminder about the clock. Our staff… does not inspire confidence in any aspect.

Yeah, that and wasn’t there an inbound play where Benny had the ball for most of the possession before he passed to someone too late for a chuck at the hoop as the clock had run down? That huddle should have included a reminder about the clock. Our staff… does not inspire confidence in any aspect.
You have to assume it was mentioned

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom