What postition does BJ Johnson play | Syracusefan.com

What postition does BJ Johnson play

3, all the way.

Expecting him to play 2 was 100% wishful thinking on the part of some posters. I doubt he will play 1 minute of meaningful game time at the shooting guard spot all year long.

Last edited:
3, all the way.

Expecting him to play 2 was 100% wishful thinking on the part of some posters. I doubt he will play 1 minute of game time at the shooting guard spot all year long.
Thinking he will play at all this year is wishful thinking

Really think he should have redshirted.

I have a different opinion. For the record, I think that Patterson will be a solid contributor before his career is over at SU. I just think that he's not going to get a ton of run until his junior year or so, at which point he'll be a solid, experienced contributor. I view him as a one-year starter type, but a very good system guy down the road.

You win having role players like Ron Patterson.

I have a different opinion. For the record, I think that Patterson will be a solid contributor before his career is over at SU. I just think that he's not going to get a ton of run until his junior year or so, at which point he'll be a solid, experienced contributor. I view him as a one-year starter type, but a very good system guy down the road.

Agree about Patterson .. not too sure about BJ though. His last few outings have been awful.

I actually hope JB occasionally uses Buss situationally this year. He could employ him in our press. His length is a huge asset when we pressure teams. I doubt it will happen but it's an intriguing idea.

I was talking about BJ...I think deano was too

I was referring to BJ not RP.

If there ever was a kid pressing offensively, it's BJ.

I thought his defense was better tonight, and it think he went at the glass well.

He just has to relax on the offensive end, and let the game come to him. He is so tense when he touches the ball, it looks like he is having a mini panic attack in his head "can't miss this one, gotta force this one down"

Donna Diota answered the question. She has seen him practice some days with the forwards and some days with the guards.

I thought his defense was better tonight, and it think he went at the glass well.

He just has to relax on the offensive end, and let the game come to him. He is so tense when he touches the ball, it looks like he is having a mini panic attack in his head "can't miss this one, gotta force this one down"

Spot on. Roberson is the same way. They're both trying too hard to impress, so every time they get the ball, they try to score right away. BJ needs to take a deep breath and remember it's legal to dribble or pump fake or...even...pass the ball. And he needs to get off the Ghandi Workout Plan.

Donna Diota answered the question. She has seen him practice some days with the forwards and some days with the guards.

And yet... he hasn't played any appreciable minutes at 2G all season long. As multiple preseason reports indicated would be the case.

I get it. When you're the go-to-guy at every level it's weird NOT to be able to score at will. It's not just BJ that goes through this; his talent is obvious and I think he'll be really good for us. But I don't anticipate him doing much this year. But that's fine, we've proven the past couple of years that if you wait your turn your time will come.

And yet...he hasn't played at all at 2G all season long.

As multiple prognostications suggested would play out.

I'm pretty sure he played some 2g in the very early season, pre-Maui.

I get it. When you're the go-to-guy at every level it's weird NOT to be able to score at will. It's not just BJ that goes through this; his talent is obvious and I think he'll be really good for us. But I don't anticipate him doing much this year. But that's fine, we've proven the past couple of years that if you wait your turn your time will come.

With BJ, I think in general it is way more of a physical maturity thing than a skill thing. In fact, I love his skill set. He's my favorite recruit from the incoming class of 2013. I want to restate that for dramatic effect: BJ Johnson is my favorite recruit in this class. Love his potential. And I fully believe that he'll be an impact player for us down the road, and possibly a guy who could lead us in scoring.

Here are the issues: he's "young" for his class. He's also--despite already showing an impressive work ethic--physically underdeveloped right now. He is the type of kid who would really benefit from a redshirt--not because he lacks skill, but because it would afford a year to bring his physical maturity up to the level of his skill set on the developmental curve.

Last edited:
He's not the first and won't be the last freshmen to struggle. His day will come, just hope that he stays positive and plays through the tough times. Has potential to be a rotation guy next year so his time will come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom