What rushing to judgement can do | Syracusefan.com

What rushing to judgement can do

CNY in Miami

Walk On
First post in about five years.

I left Syracuse about 30 years ago and moved to Miami. I was part owner od two rehab clinics in Upstate NY with two other partners . When I was down here about a year I made some connections and found a location on Miami Beach to open a clinic with my partners from Syracuse.

We spent close to $50,000 for office buildout and equipment, a lot of money 30 years ago. Hired a physical therapist with great experience as director of the clinic, hired the support staff, spent at least another $50,000 to carry the practice until it carried itself.

About a year after opening the practice is doing well, I wake up, get the Miami herald, I'm eating my wheaties, read the head lines, big bold letters, Miami Beach Physical Therapist charged with child molestation. It's the director of my clinic, he was charged by a parent when he was a staff therapist at a hospital 5 years earlier.

Turns out the charges where false, made by a parent looking to sue the hospital, it took about 3 years to work itself out. The result, my business collapsed immediately, even though I hired I new therapist the clinic was stigmatized. We lost a great deal of money. The therapist that was charged lost his license to practice while the investigation was going on, the stress caused his marriage to fail, since he could not work in PT he went from a $40,000 a year salary to working part time in a store just to try to make ends meet, eventually had to leave town to start over.

The ESPN story is extremely damaging, If Bernie is innocent his life will still change forever, people will always have doubts about him, in the short term the great name of SU will be tarnished, recruiting may suffer. ESPN's rush to judgement and shoddy journalism should be exposed.

Thanks for sharing. Your post underlines why ESPN needs to be held accountable.

If Fine is innocent of all counts, ESPN needs to held liable, and I'm not sure what that would entail

Could SU sue bobby davis for defameing the university if it is found he lied?

Won't happen, but I'd love someone like Costas to have a story that really digs into journalism ethics. And please touch on other things like ESPN and conference realignment.

If this is BS, which I'm pretty convinced it is, I don't want it to just go away. I want heads to roll. I want the good name of Bernie Fine and my alma mater restored.

Maybe we leave a flaming bag of dog poop on their doorstep?

Won't happen, but I'd love someone like Costas to have a story that really digs into journalism ethics. And please touch on other things like ESPN and conference realignment.

If this is BS, which I'm pretty convinced it is, I don't want it to just go away. I want heads to roll. I want the good name of Bernie Fine and my alma mater restored.
I want Schwarz fired on the spot when this clears

IF it turns out that Bernie Fine is innocent his reputation will still be permanently tarnished. SU will still be viewed with suspicion in some quarters and we will have lost at least one recruit, probably more. How to hold ESPN accountable? That's laughable. However, I would hope Mark Schwarz and his boss, at the very least, would be given their walking papers. If this story is BS I hope Mark likes Minot, North Dakota.

If Fine is innocent of all counts, ESPN needs to held liable, and I'm not sure what that would entail

I can only think of one way Fine is found innocent. That is if the accusers come out and say that were lying for money. Other than that, damage is done.

44cuse

I can only think of one way Fine is found innocent. That is if the accusers come out and say that were lying for money. Other than that, damage is done.

44cuse

Sadly, think so too. And the only way to accomplish that would be to threaten to counter sue, which they won't have any evidence for.

You should send your story to Mark Schwarz. If Bernie is cleared, Schwarz should be fired, just like the guy from YNN who moved ahead with an unsubtaniated story about Scoop.

...unfortunate as it is...if found innocent, Bernie, and 'Cuse will take a hit. Until the final saga is written...it is probably best to wait and to prepare our strategy and tactics to turn this around

Unless his two accusers admit lying...which they won't... Bernie won't be declared innocent. Most likely the police investigation will just say there is insufficient evidence to file charges. There is no proof to prove the allegations one way or the other. That is terrible and unfair to Bernie and SU. Nothing will likely happen to either ESPN or Schwarz. Perhaps SU could file a libel suit against ESPN but that is almost impossible to win. The goal would be to get a settlement where ESPN issues an apology and terminates Schwarz rather than incur the cost of defending the suit. But SU would have to be willing to incur considerable cost to press the suit long enough to make ESPN uncomfortable. Don't know if they have the desire or pockets to do that.

44cuse

Or if the SPD/D.A. flat out calls their plan a scam.

I think we will be fine. Winning causes people to have short memories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom