What the heck is going on? | Syracusefan.com

What the heck is going on?

texascpa

Living Legend
Two more mentions of Dungey and Syracuse on ESPNU today. Once on the First Team this morning (they even through in Babers name), then on Mark Packer's show when discussing players who could be on the a new ESPN College Football game cover (if it ever happened). He was going through some of the players not named by callers, and started with Ryan Finley, then someone else and then mentioned Dungey. Could this really be the year we get back some relevance?

Two more mentions of Dungey and Syracuse on ESPNU today. Once on the First Team this morning (they even through in Babers name), then on Mark Packer's show when discussing players who could be on the a new ESPN College Football game cover (if it ever happened). He was going through some of the players not named by callers, and started with Ryan Finley, then someone else and then mentioned Dungey. Could this really be the year we get back some relevance?
Dungey is the best QB in college football, a lot of people are aware of that.

Dungey is the best QB in college football, a lot of people are aware of that.

You could have fooled me last year. Nary a mention.

Last edited:
You could have fooled me last year. Nary a mention.
I have to believe anybody who seriously follows college football saw what he did last year against real power teams and thought he is going to be even better as a senior and in Babers system for 3 years. If your looking around the country for a team that could come out of nowhere and make some noise, Syracuse with a talent like Dungey is intriguing.

I wanted to put a flyer on Dungey for the Heisman in vegas but he wasnt even an option any place I went.

I wanted to put a flyer on Dungey for the Heisman in vegas but he wasnt even an option any place I went.

I'll have to check out the action in AC now that we have sports betting in NJ.

I have to believe anybody who seriously follows college football saw what he did last year ….. If your looking around the country for a team that could come out of nowhere and make some noise, Syracuse with a talent like Dungey is intriguing.

Yet anyone who writes a pre-season magazine (presumable a serious follower) has not predicted SU making noise.
I believe we will, and Dungey is only one reason. OL has 3 seniors & more experience overall. Our senior TE will be a break-out star. Our top 2 RBs, now a senior & junior, have starting experience and have grown into their roles. Babers believes our defense will be better than our offense -- let that sink in.

Yet anyone who writes a pre-season magazine (presumable a serious follower) has not predicted SU making noise.
I believe we will, and Dungey is only one reason. OL has 3 seniors & more experience overall. Our senior TE will be a break-out star. Our top 2 RBs, now a senior & junior, have starting experience and have grown into their roles. Babers believes our defense will be better than our offense -- let that sink in.
I think there is an awareness by those people that Syracuse is a live wire but the recent history has been bad so they are hesitant to make a bold prediction. By talking about Dungey they are really talking about the team overall in a back door way that doesn't tie them to a win-loss prediction. The writers have a reputation to protect. I think as summer practice progresses word will hit the street, and maybe Dino doesn't want it to, that Syracuse is looking like a threat in the ACC.

That says more about bias in the voting than it does anything else.
Are you saying you can't see what kind of talent Dungey is? If he had a running game that those teams have and he doesn't have to go and get ground yardage and first downs by himself, he would would be much more effective as a passer. And if opposing defenses had to really bite on the run and dedicate more coverage to stop a better passing game he could pick up easy yardage on the ground when it was there to be had.

Are you saying you can't see what kind of talent Dungey is? If he had a running game that those teams have and he doesn't have to go and get ground yardage and first downs by himself, he would would be much more effective as a passer. And if opposing defenses had to really bite on the run and dedicate more coverage to stop a better passing game he could pick up easy yardage on the ground when it was there to be had.

No. I was in agreement that if Bama or Ohio State had him on their roster he’d be higher profile and be up for more awards.

I think he’s poised to have a very good season and like last year - will give us a chance against every team on our schedule.

He’s in the top tier of QB and will put up the numbers. I think we get 6 or 7 wins.

No. I was in agreement that if Bama or Ohio State had him on their roster he’d be higher profile and be up for more awards.

I think he’s poised to have a very good season and like last year - will give us a chance against every team on our schedule.

He’s in the top tier of QB and will put up the numbers. I think we get 6 or 7 wins.
I'm projecting more in the 8-10 win range.

Say whaa???

If there isn't even any people on the Syracusefan board that want to stick their neck out and project the Orange to have a break out year, why would anyone think writers in the national media would? Syracuse will run the table at the Dome and go 4-2 on the road. Having said that, the WMU game worries me. No brain farts against Lester, he's just another coach of another team that that needs an L.

These preseason magazines, particular Phil Steele (because he's the most thorough and I actually bought it and read some stuff) like Syracuse ...the problem is they still play the 34th toughest schedule. So Steele still has them last in the division (which, admittedly, he says is "scary")

The one shining light of good news is that Cuse actually played the 3rd toughest sched last year and was dealt a number of injuries, and based on that Steele has them in a small group of teams that have an 81% chance of having the same or better record this year

I think the road to 6-6 involves us beating Pitt, Wake, and NC State. None of which will be easy, if history tells us anything about playing in the ACC

Unfortunately I've been beaten down to the point where I believe we'll have a plus .500 record when we actually achieve a plus .500 record.

I believe we are going to win every game prior to it. But big picture, I'm where you are.

Things need to go right, we need some key injuries and weird turmoil in some of our bigger games. We can't afford a let down in the 3 winnable OOC games. And we need to win some of the gritty games vs Pitt, NC State, Wake and BC. History says we'll win one of those - I'd like to only lose one of those ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom