What to expect from Frank Howard next season (Syracuse basketball player forecasts) | Syracusefan.com

What to expect from Frank Howard next season (Syracuse basketball player forecasts)

All in on Frank this year. Less pressure to score, but a slightly shorter leash. Has 2 proven scoring options, 2 more potential scoring options, a freshman scoring pg to give him breathers and a healthier pair in chukwu and sidibe.

All in on Frank this year. Less pressure to score, but a slightly shorter leash. Has 2 proven scoring options, 2 more potential scoring options, a freshman scoring pg to give him breathers and a healthier pair in chukwu and sidibe.

Frank not having to shoulder as much of the load could help his efficiency go WAY up. Was really surprised to see that his final shooting % from three was only ~32% for the season.

Less = more with a player like Frank. Wouldn't be surprised to see him have a big year.

Last edited:
Frank not having to shoulder as much of the load could help his efficiency go WAY up.

Less = more with a player like Frank. Wouldn't be surprised to see him have a big year.
Rest, this summer, and next season with Carey coming in, will make a big difference. Last year he wore down as the tip of the spear .. with constant ball pressure, limited bench and few scoring options. This year will be a smorgasbord in comparison.

Last edited:
Surprised at how weak these write-ups are. No discussion of his improvement over the course of the year, especially when you consider that's basically all PCs write up was.

I think Frank is going to be very good this year.

Surprised at how weak these write-ups are. No discussion of his improvement over the course of the year, especially when you consider that's basically all PCs write up was.

Agree. From where he was a couple years ago, struggling to learn the zone, to one of the ACC's top defensive guards (led the league in steals) is pretty amazing.
Atlantic Coast Conference Statistics - College Basketball - ESPN

In addition to getting steals, Howard (with Battle) prevent opposing guards from penetrating, make it difficult to pass into the high post, and prevent open 3 point shots. Not much of that shows up in stats -- except for opponent's three point shooting percentages. Top of the zone is going to be a force for this team.

It is similar with Chukwu. Stats show blocks and defensive rebounds, but not the effect of deterring opponents from getting inside shots.

Howard has a lot of upside on offense -- can get stronger, can improve his shooting.

Quite frankly, I don't care about Mike Water's opinion. I just want to read what the coaches and players are observing and thinking. Every reporter wants to be the next Lois Lane.

If Frank improves his shooting (his j’s perty) and gets above yhat 2:1 assist:to he may sneak into the second round. Size is there. I believe athleticism and speed improvements will surprise many on this board next year. Amazing how much better running and jumping feels when you’re not battered, bruised and playing 38 mins straight.

Rest, this summer, and next season with Carey coming in, will make a big difference. Last year he wore down as the tip of the spear .. with constant ball pressure and limited bench and scoring options. This year will be a smorgasbord in comparison.

Yup. Having complimentary players in the lineup to help take some of the ball handling pressure off of him [Carey / Hughes] and chip in on the playmaking will go a LONG way. Too often last year, we went iso and ran the shot clock down to near the end, settling for Battle and / or Frank taking contested shots late in the shot clock. Even so, Frank showed marked improvement. Not having to do so much will do wonders for his efficiency. Especially as he continues to mature as a now veteran, experienced player.

Yup. Having complimentary players in the lineup to help take some of the ball handling pressure off of him [Carey / Hughes] and chip in on the playmaking will go a LONG way. Too often last year, we went iso and ran the shot clock down to near the end, settling for Battle and / or Frank taking contested shots late in the shot clock. Even so, Frank showed marked improvement. Not having to do so much will do wonders for his efficiency. Especially as he continues to mature as a now veteran, experienced player.

Teams often put their very best defender on Battle and face guarded the heck out of him, denying him the ball which kept the ball in Frank's hands way too long. Will be fun to see Frank with more than one option.

Quite frankly, I don't care about Mike Water's opinion. I just want to read what the coaches and players are observing and thinking. Every reporter wants to be the next Lois Lane.
Surely not every reporter wants to be the next Lois Lane.

Also, does that make Boeheim from Krypton?

It seemed to me that Frank tried very hard to force the ball into Chukwu, even though Chukwu turned over a lot of those passes. I think this desire to get his roomie some easy buckets led to the higher turn over rate. IF Pascal improves and collects the ball better, Frank will have a lower turn over rate and, possibly even a higher assist rate.

I wouldn't be surprised at all seeing Frank drafted ahead of Battle if he has a solid year.

I wouldn't be surprised at all seeing Frank drafted ahead of Battle if he has a solid year.
How well would this post had been received in early 2016?

Now I’ll throw my hat in the ring and say it’s a possibility

Agree. From where he was a couple years ago, struggling to learn the zone, to one of the ACC's top defensive guards (led the league in steals) is pretty amazing.
Atlantic Coast Conference Statistics - College Basketball - ESPN

Agree but I’d love to see him making shooters move their feet a bit more. Too many deep threes over the top when he was flat-footed. Yes they are deep shots but kids make those now. Ultimately that’s a fairly minor tweak however.

Of course the reporter is the only one who at least potentially is unbiased, which makes his opinion at least somewhat relevant.

It seemed to me that Frank tried very hard to force the ball into Chukwu, even though Chukwu turned over a lot of those passes. I think this desire to get his roomie some easy buckets led to the higher turn over rate. IF Pascal improves and collects the ball better, Frank will have a lower turn over rate and, possibly even a higher assist rate.

Not sure the motivation but he efforts to get the ball to chuckwu yielded more positive results as the year went on. Not crazy to think he’s at least better as a catch and finish guy this year. Not going to be elite but hopefully solid.

Agree but I’d love to see him making shooters move their feet a bit more. Too many deep threes over the top when he was flat-footed. Yes they are deep shots but kids make those now. Ultimately that’s a fairly minor tweak however.
175 assists is actually not bad at all when you consider that we didn't get good offensive movement most of the year and our inside guys had trouble catching it and scoring. If Sid's healthy ... and Hughes is half as talented as reported .. this team could be top 2-3 in the ACC and make a deep run.

Was really surprised to see that his final shooting % from three was only ~32% for the season.
he got off to a terrible start from the arc - he was just 11/44 through the first ten games. over the rest of the season, he hit 31 of 73 threes - .425.

i think (hope) that's more indicative of his true shooting prowess

he got off to a terrible start from the arc - he was just 11/44 through the first ten games. over the rest of the season, he hit 31 of 73 threes - .425.

i think (hope) that's more indicative of his true shooting prowess

Thanks -- that view of the data actually makes a lot of sense, and certainly fits with my visceral impression of him being a fairly reliable threat from distance.

I'm envisioning him getting a lot more open looks / spot-up catch and shoot opportunities this year, which should also help drive those percentages up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom