What to expect from Marek Dolezaj next season (Syracuse basketball player forecasts) | Syracusefan.com

What to expect from Marek Dolezaj next season (Syracuse basketball player forecasts)

In my mind, what Marek does well, and this article mentions, is he just finds a way to contribute, and he's savvy enough and athletic enough to pull it off.

I wish there was a stat called "contribution index" because Marek would fill it consistently. He's a player that's easy to like!

I think CJ is a stretch. I'd love for Marek to get to that level, but the feeling on both guys was a little different for me during their first year. I saw Marek as the grind-it-out type who played hard and made some good things happen, but I was rarely wowed by any plays in particular. Fair was different. You could see the glimmers of a really good basketball player early in his career. He was a tough player for his weight, like Marek, and aggressive on offense. I know some might think that I'm conflating upperclassman CJ with Frosh CJ, but I'm not. As a Freshman, when he got the ball within 12 feet of the rim, he was looking to score, preferably with a dunk. Marek, by comparison, was much more tentative with the ball in his hands.

CJ put up better number in half the minutes Marek played. I also don't think Marek has the full 2 inches over CJ that Waters asserted.

Not disputing those contributions, but what Marek does well is passing, blocking shots, getting out on wing shooters, and being that third rebounder that we need. His "jump shot" is actually a push shot or floater, but it became effective in March. The development of Marek and Hughes might be the keys to how far this team can go. In Marek's case, a lot depends on how much strength he can add.

I think CJ is a stretch. …. You could see the glimmers of a really good basketball player early in his career. He was a tough player for his weight, like Marek, and aggressive on offense. ….. As a Freshman, when he got the ball within 12 feet of the rim, he was looking to score, preferably with a dunk. ….. I also don't think Marek has the full 2 inches over CJ that Waters asserted.

To my eye, Marek has at least 2 full inches over CJ, but I agree with your main points. CJ was a natural SF with a range of skills on offense. He did not get much opportunity in the first half of the season, before Sutherland was injured, but you could see the SF skills.
Marek is a special case -- trying to play PF while rail thin, and he might have a ton of upside as he gets stronger and adds to the range on his shot. Upside might be similar to CJ, but for different reasons.

As a Freshman, when he got the ball within 12 feet of the rim, he was looking to score, preferably with a dunk. Marek, by comparison, was much more tentative with the ball in his hands.

I think we saw a different Marek in the tourney. He was aggressive with the ball and it finally looked like his teammates trusted him with it. I don't know what changed, but his basketball IQ and court vision are are best on the team if he plays like he did at the end of last year.

I think CJ is a stretch. I'd love for Marek to get to that level, but the feeling on both guys was a little different for me during their first year. I saw Marek as the grind-it-out type who played hard and made some good things happen, but I was rarely wowed by any plays in particular. Fair was different. You could see the glimmers of a really good basketball player early in his career. He was a tough player for his weight, like Marek, and aggressive on offense. I know some might think that I'm conflating upperclassman CJ with Frosh CJ, but I'm not. As a Freshman, when he got the ball within 12 feet of the rim, he was looking to score, preferably with a dunk. Marek, by comparison, was much more tentative with the ball in his hands.

CJ put up better number in half the minutes Marek played. I also don't think Marek has the full 2 inches over CJ that Waters asserted.

The main similarity is not in style of play, but in their hoops IQ, in my opinion. Both CJ and Marek have really, really good feel for the game, which isn't true of many [most?] frosh.

You're right on about the differences in their offensive games. I would have never thought of comparing CJ and Marek, but what they did seem to share in their freshman years was good athleticism and high basketball IQ. I really like watching both of them play.

Edit: I hate it when I see that someone posted a reply while I'm typing and it's exactly the point I'm trying to make. Good post RF2044.

I still think Damone Brown is a potentially apt comparison with Marek. Damone was a better athlete, but their styles of play are very similar. Both very wiry guys with solid medium range jumpers and crafty finishers around the hoop. Damone slowly progressed into an excellent player and team leader as a senior, which I think Marek could do as well.

I guess for me I expect a line from him is 12pts 7reb 3ast maybe 2stl etc. But it's the when all of it happens. That key offensive rebound. That big steal. To me he makes the right play when it matters most. He's going to win/secure games for SU this coming season like that.

Have you seen him since he came back? Waters did.

You’d think he’d be working starting the very day after the duke game. I understand he’s a kid but he has a shot at a professional NBA career if he adds strength and adjusts his shot to it.

This kid has intangibles. Things kids do that don’t show on a stat sheet. Has a great sense of himself and what he can do. Not big but big enough. Out hustles anyone and loves the game. I’m excited this year and future years. Let’s get going early and often.

my sense of upside for MD this year... Shaun Livingston with lotsa rebounds...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom