Votes: 58 76.3%
  • A back and forth game where Syracuse pulls it out in the end

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • Syracuse goes down big but claws back to win it

Votes: 5 6.6%

• Total voters

twinight

Walk On
I'm curious what type of game people prefer to see from Syracuse. Of course, it may depend on who the opponent is. So for the sake of the poll, assume it's an evenly matched team that we have no great rivalry with.

twinight

Walk On
Is this for real?

Yes, it's for real. And I'm kind of surprised by the results. In my opinion, a huge comeback is the most exciting thing to witness, followed by a back and forth game. A blowout is fun, but there's no real drama to it. A third of the crowd leaves before the end of the game. That's really what people like the most? I'm genuinely surprised.

jdubs30

Living Legend
Yes, it's for real. And I'm kind of surprised by the results. In my opinion, a huge comeback is the most exciting thing to witness, followed by a back and forth game. A blowout is fun, but there's no real drama to it. A third of the crowd leaves before the end of the game. That's really what people like the most? I'm genuinely surprised.
With a blowout the result isn’t in doubt

Cuse1055

SU Video Maven

As a general fan of basketball I get what you’re saying but if Syracuse is playing then I want a convincing, comfortable and dominating win.

Eric15

Living Legend
I like them all. You need a mix of all of them for sports to be fun.

Marty McFly

Resident Lurker
Just give me the W, I don't care if the score is 2-0 and we look like UC Irvine out there, (side burn Anteaters).

Tom K.

2nd String
Complete dominance. Every game.
It means we are that much better than our opponent. And isn't that what everyone here wants?

Save the theatrical buzzer-beaters for teams I have no rooting interest in.

MaxwellCuse

All Conference
I hate drama. Give me a good old-fashioned blow-out every time.

twinight

Walk On
It means we are that much better than our opponent. And isn't that what everyone here wants?

Is it? Well, then we should move the court to the 50-yard-line for what will most certainly be the most popular game of the year: SU vs. Marathon Oil.

(I'm kidding. I know what you mean.)

I'm still surprised that—given a guaranteed SU win—80% would rather see a blowout than a great back and forth game, or a big comeback. I feel like all my best SU memories fall into the latter categories. I can rewatch comebacks over and over. I especially enjoy a good situation where the other team is up 20, their bench is laughing and having a good time, doing little dances, talking smack. Cut to the end of the game, guys are crying, someone has a towel over his head. Fun stuff!

SWC75

Bored Historian
You want two things from each game: to win and to emerge with a feeling of optimism that you are going to win future games. Blow-out wins produce the most optimism.

There are no "guaranteed wins". Any guaranteed win isn't going to have any drama. Actually, watching a replay of a game you won on a buzzer beater is more fun that watching the actual game in real time was.

twinight

Walk On
You want two things from each game: to win and to emerge with a feeling of optimism that you are going to win future games. Blow-out wins produce the most optimism.

There are no "guaranteed wins". Any guaranteed win isn't going to have any drama. Actually, watching a replay of a game you won on a buzzer beater is more fun that watching the actual game in real time was.

There are certainly "guaranteed wins" in a hypothetical that had three choices and all were wins.

Tom K.

2nd String
Is it? Well, then we should move the court to the 50-yard-line for what will most certainly be the most popular game of the year: SU vs. Marathon Oil.

This went way, way, way over my head.

SWC75

Bored Historian
There are certainly "guaranteed wins" in a hypothetical that had three choices and all were wins.

But not in reality. And wins that aren't real aren't very exciting, either.

twinight

Walk On
But not in reality. And wins that aren't real aren't very exciting, either.

Huh? Not sure why you're stumbling over how questions works.

Are you incapable of answering any question about a preference in something?

Me: "Do you prefer chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry ice cream?"
You: "There is no guaranteed ice cream."
Me: "Yes, but if you were to have ice cream, which would you prefer?"
You: "Unreal ice cream isn't very exciting."

You can, of course, put the same question in "reality" with a modicum of brain power.

Let's say a game occurred. You couldn't watch it live for whatever reason. You're going to watch it when you get home. You know SU won, but that's all you know. Would you prefer to go home and watch a great back and forth game, a great comeback, or a big SU blowout? (Assuming two evenly matched teams. No one wants to see a "great game" agains the Clarks Summit University Defenders)

DNABB5

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Frosh Scorer
I always root for a 20 point win but the huge comebacks and close games are more memorable.

Except that time Wes Johnson killed UNC. Man that was like 10 years ago ya.

Chip

Creature of Bad Habits
I voted for Syracuse to keep it close in the first half so I could feel morally victorious.

B

Brooky03

A blowout. I also enjoy putting Madden on Rookie difficulty and trying to score 100 points.

SWC75

Bored Historian
Huh? Not sure why you're stumbling over how questions works.

Are you incapable of answering any question about a preference in something?

Me: "Do you prefer chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry ice cream?"
You: "There is no guaranteed ice cream."
Me: "Yes, but if you were to have ice cream, which would you prefer?"
You: "Unreal ice cream isn't very exciting."

You can, of course, put the same question in "reality" with a modicum of brain power.

Let's say a game occurred. You couldn't watch it live for whatever reason. You're going to watch it when you get home. You know SU won, but that's all you know. Would you prefer to go home and watch a great back and forth game, a great comeback, or a big SU blowout? (Assuming two evenly matched teams. No one wants to see a "great game" agains the Clarks Summit University Defenders)

The excitement of a close game is that you could have lost it but you've won it. You've declared that your question involves "guaranteed wins". That's not the same thing.

And again, the blow-out produces the most optimism for future games, so i'd still choose that one in the taped game scenario. The most fun I've ever had watching an SU game was when we blew out Bobby Knight's Indiana team in the first Big Apple NIT, 102-78.

kcsu

Living Legend
Is this for real?

Twinight, do collect Hummels?

kingtidge

All Conference
I like games when we have a legit top 25 team with some top tier talent that plays hard and is fun to watch.

It would appear those days are a thing of the past.

But moreover, a brand of basketball that is watchable.

These blowout losses are by and large unwatchable and no fun for anyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusenj

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom