What will Syracuse look like in the New Meadowlands? | Syracusefan.com

What will Syracuse look like in the New Meadowlands?

Dddd

Walk On
Hey everybody!

I've been looking at our schedule (PSU fan) and I'm really excited to start off the season against the Orange. I remember watching you against West Virginia in the bowl game last year and the Orange looked really good.

How do you think you will be this year? Better or worse than last year? What parts of the offense/special teams/defense are you expecting to look good? Bad? What are you expecting in the New Meadowlands?

I know we're months away, but it's something to think and talk about. Again, good luck, and I look forward to meeting a bunch of you in East Rutherford.

We Are!

What are you expecting in the New Meadowlands?

To kick mangey Nittany Lion ass!!!

Hey everybody!

I've been looking at our schedule (PSU fan) and I'm really excited to start off the season against the Orange. I remember watching you against West Virginia in the bowl game last year and the Orange looked really good.

How do you think you will be this year? Better or worse than last year? What parts of the offense/special teams/defense are you expecting to look good? Bad? What are you expecting in the New Meadowlands?

I know we're months away, but it's something to think and talk about. Again, good luck, and I look forward to meeting a bunch of you in East Rutherford.

We Are!

Not sure yet...I think we'll be around 6-7 wins. The game with PSU should be good. I expect you to outnumber us 2 to 1 at the stadium. Hopefully a full house.

The 200 level sideline seats are the best...you might consider popping the $115 or so for one of them.

Hey everybody!

We Are!

SU will look great. McNabb is ready to take this team all the way this year. The running game is loaded with the three 44s. The defense is as hardnosed as ever. With Freeney and Jones applying pressure on the outside, I expect your frosh qb to toss many picks in his college debut.

We are, SU. It seemed you were cut off at the end of your post and didn't get to finish your last sentence.

Here's back and forth emails I've already been having with a friend that is a die hard Penn State fan recently. Feel free to add, correct or elaborate:

Me -Figure we could sit them (somewhat neutrals colleagues) between us during the game so we aren’t at each other’s throats for 4 quarters.

Him - You mean at each others throats for the one quarter that the game is close. (he was obviously implying Penn State would crush Syracuse)

Me (knowing what he meant) -You think Penn State will be that bad? I know you lost a lot on defense but you have a stud RB it appears and both teams will have first time QB’s. Figure play calling will be pretty vanilla as the teams feel each other out.

Him - We could run old Zack up the middle 50 times at six to eight yards a pop, tell you in advance that was what we were going to do, and you still wouldn’t be able to stop it.

Me - LOL. I hope they put you in charge of game planning. Our DT’s are solid, your best bet would be to go off tackle and try and take advantage of our green DE’s. DE and Safety are our big ?’s marks. DT, LB, and CB are all set with good size, skill and depth. It won’t be like 4 years ago when our DT’s were 6’0 270 lbs and our LB’s were painfully slow. Our starters are 6’4 300lbers @ DT and they aren’t fat boys. The next 4 in rotation are well over 300 as well. If your o line gives Hackenberg time he may be able to find guys over the middle.

What’s your scouting report on Penn State? What’s your pass rush look like since we lost a stud LT and solid LG to the nfl. How solid are your CB’s? Presume you’ll just be reloading at LB.

Him - GLEN CARSON TAKES OVER AS “THE GUY” AT LINEBACKER. WE STILL GO FIVE OR SIX DEEP THERE. WE WILL GET PASSED ON, THOUGH, 3 OUT OF FOUR NEW STARTERS AT DB. GOOD THING IS WE WILL GET TO THE QB, BARNES AND DAQUON JONES ARE SOLID. I’M VERY NERVOUS ABOUT STARTING HACKENBURG,I WOULD HAVE RATHER HE REDSHIRTED, 18 YR OLD KIDS CAN BE FLAKY SOMETIMES. FERGUSON, THE JUCO GUY, IS SOLID IF NOT SPECTACULAR. WE HAVE WEAPONS, PROBABLY THE BEST SET OF OFFENSIVE TIGHT ENDS IN THE COUNTRY, TWO REALLY GOOD WRS, BUT NOT A LOT OF DEPTH AT RB. OL IS SENIOR DOMINATED AND WILL BE A PLUS.

Me - Yeah I’m aware of Jones being a NYC kid that we recruited hard. Would be nice to redshirt Hackenberg but may not have that luxury if Ferguson doesn’t own the position outright or can’t stay healthy. Heard Akeel Lynch had a great Spring game at RB (another NY kid that we wanted at LB) and obviously you have RB’s returning so should be set there. Are your TE’s big or are they speedy, h back style guys which is what we’re trending towards?

Looking into it far too early here but appears PSU and SU have the same strengths and question marks. The kids stepping in will be upperclassmen but have yet to see significant/meaningful playing time at DE and Safety for us. QB play and turnovers will be the deciding factor. Terrel Hunt has the QB job now and did well in the Spring but we’ve also got a transfer coming in from Oklahoma that could end up winning the job for 1 year giving Hunt another year of grooming. If Cuse can generate a pass rush I feel pretty good but given what you have returning on the O Line that may be a pipe dream. Do they have any issue picking up blitzing linebackers since we like to bring it at times?

Feel free to pick up from here in response to my last question to him and/or ask questions or comment on anything I've written thus far. FWIW he loathes all things Syracuse which I think stems from him being a student in 1987 when the game's result had a decidedly orange outcome.

Here's back and forth emails I've already been having with a friend that is a die hard Penn State fan recently. Feel free to add, correct or elaborate:

Me -Figure we could sit them (somewhat neutrals colleagues) between us during the game so we aren’t at each other’s throats for 4 quarters.

Him - You mean at each others throats for the one quarter that the game is close. (he was obviously implying Penn State would crush Syracuse)

Me (knowing what he meant) -You think Penn State will be that bad? I know you lost a lot on defense but you have a stud RB it appears and both teams will have first time QB’s. Figure play calling will be pretty vanilla as the teams feel each other out.

Him - We could run old Zack up the middle 50 times at six to eight yards a pop, tell you in advance that was what we were going to do, and you still wouldn’t be able to stop it.

Me - LOL. I hope they put you in charge of game planning. Our DT’s are solid, your best bet would be to go off tackle and try and take advantage of our green DE’s. DE and Safety are our big ?’s marks. DT, LB, and CB are all set with good size, skill and depth. It won’t be like 4 years ago when our DT’s were 6’0 270 lbs and our LB’s were painfully slow. Our starters are 6’4 300lbers @ DT and they aren’t fat boys. The next 4 in rotation are well over 300 as well. If your o line gives Hackenberg time he may be able to find guys over the middle.

What’s your scouting report on Penn State? What’s your pass rush look like since we lost a stud LT and solid LG to the nfl. How solid are your CB’s? Presume you’ll just be reloading at LB.

Him - GLEN CARSON TAKES OVER AS “THE GUY” AT LINEBACKER. WE STILL GO FIVE OR SIX DEEP THERE. WE WILL GET PASSED ON, THOUGH, 3 OUT OF FOUR NEW STARTERS AT DB. GOOD THING IS WE WILL GET TO THE QB, BARNES AND DAQUON JONES ARE SOLID. I’M VERY NERVOUS ABOUT STARTING HACKENBURG,I WOULD HAVE RATHER HE REDSHIRTED, 18 YR OLD KIDS CAN BE FLAKY SOMETIMES. FERGUSON, THE JUCO GUY, IS SOLID IF NOT SPECTACULAR. WE HAVE WEAPONS, PROBABLY THE BEST SET OF OFFENSIVE TIGHT ENDS IN THE COUNTRY, TWO REALLY GOOD WRS, BUT NOT A LOT OF DEPTH AT RB. OL IS SENIOR DOMINATED AND WILL BE A PLUS.

Me - Yeah I’m aware of Jones being a NYC kid that we recruited hard. Would be nice to redshirt Hackenberg but may not have that luxury if Ferguson doesn’t own the position outright or can’t stay healthy. Heard Akeel Lynch had a great Spring game at RB (another NY kid that we wanted at LB) and obviously you have RB’s returning so should be set there. Are your TE’s big or are they speedy, h back style guys which is what we’re trending towards?

Looking into it far too early here but appears PSU and SU have the same strengths and question marks. The kids stepping in will be upperclassmen but have yet to see significant/meaningful playing time at DE and Safety for us. QB play and turnovers will be the deciding factor. Terrel Hunt has the QB job now and did well in the Spring but we’ve also got a transfer coming in from Oklahoma that could end up winning the job for 1 year giving Hunt another year of grooming. If Cuse can generate a pass rush I feel pretty good but given what you have returning on the O Line that may be a pipe dream. Do they have any issue picking up blitzing linebackers since we like to bring it at times?

Feel free to pick up from here in response to my last question to him and/or ask questions or comment on anything I've written thus far. FWIW he loathes all things Syracuse which I think stems from him being a student in 1987 when the game's result had a decidedly orange outcome.

F Penn State.

(This coming from a former Pennsylvanian.)

I mean this in the best possible way, and this is not directed at you personally.

But I really believe your program warranted the Death Penalty, and I hope we administer it.

Hey everybody!

We Are!

Our defense should be our strength. If it isn't we may have some problems.

Offensive is tough to gauge since we aren't sure who the qb will be yet. Either way we should have a strong run game, with solid O-line play.

I pray our special teams are improved from last year. We do have some young guys/jc coming in that should be able to improve that area.

Good luck and I luck forward to reigniting our rivalry.

I'm a current PSU student, so I have absolutely no bad feelings towards Syracuse - we've hardly played at all in my lifetime. And, I'm much more of a college football fan than a Penn State fan, but since Penn State is where I go to school, it's also who I root for and follow the most.

Anyways, I'll begin with a very long response to what your friend said:
________________________________________________________________________________________
"Him - GLEN CARSON TAKES OVER AS “THE GUY” AT LINEBACKER. WE STILL GO FIVE OR SIX DEEP THERE. WE WILL GET PASSED ON, THOUGH, 3 OUT OF FOUR NEW STARTERS AT DB. GOOD THING IS WE WILL GET TO THE QB, BARNES AND DAQUON JONES ARE SOLID. I’M VERY NERVOUS ABOUT STARTING HACKENBURG,I WOULD HAVE RATHER HE REDSHIRTED, 18 YR OLD KIDS CAN BE FLAKY SOMETIMES. FERGUSON, THE JUCO GUY, IS SOLID IF NOT SPECTACULAR. WE HAVE WEAPONS, PROBABLY THE BEST SET OF OFFENSIVE TIGHT ENDS IN THE COUNTRY, TWO REALLY GOOD WRS, BUT NOT A LOT OF DEPTH AT RB. OL IS SENIOR DOMINATED AND WILL BE A PLUS."

He is 100% wrong that we go "5 or 6 deep" at LB. We have two solid proven starters (Hull and Carson) and another guy who we really think will be good if he stays healthy (injury-redshirt frosh Nyeem Wartman). That's the starters. After that, we only have one scholarship and competent backup, Ben Kline. That's it. We are tissue-paper thin at LBU.

We only have 1-2 new starters at DB. Last year Obeng-Agyapong, Willis and Amos all started, and they're all returning. However, they're all natural safeties, so we might move Amos (who played CB last year) to safety, sit one of the other two, and play converted WRs at CB (we're getting desperate on defense due to the sanctions.)

I disagree on Jones. He has yet to live up to his hype, IMO.

I don't know how Ferguson can be "solid, if not spectacular", considering he has never played.

I agree that we have the best TEs in the country. You asked about them, so here's what I'll say:
Gilliam plays OT and TE, so he's a great blocking TE. But, he also comes out of the backfield as a fullback to catch passes.

Lehman can block as well as a lot of guys, and is a good route runner. I don't know that he is elite at anything, but he's good at everything.

Wilkerson is a catch-passing, smaller but very fast TE. He didn't play last year, but figures to see some action this year.

Carter is a tall TE with great blocking skills, but he's used mostly to stretch the field with good speed and elite hands. He has made some of the best grabs I've ever seen a TE make, and will easily be going pro.

James is the other bona fide NFL TE on the roster. He's a 6'7" guys with long arms and good hands. He's quick and runs great routes, but also plays blocking TE fairly often. He and Carter can and will do everything.

Breneman is the guy everybody is excited about. He'll be a true freshman and a receiving TE, and he'll also play some WR. He has tons of speed for a guy his size (6'4"/6'5").

As for his "2 really good WR", I only know of half of them. Allen Robinson was voted as the best WR in the conference last year, and he's a monster of a man. He might not be too quick, but he is very strong and runs great routes.

I agree with his OL assessment.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, I'm still not sure what you guys think about your team, but this is what I'm understanding. Feel free to correct/agree/add to it yourselves:

Overall, your defense should be your strength. Your DLine and LBs are experienced and good, and your DBs are at least good enough, even if they may be the weakness in your defense (specifically safeties).

On offense, you'll have a new starting QB but a decent running game with a veteran OL. But, your defense will definitely be the strength?

What kind of offense/defense do you expect the Orange to run? How successful do you expect to be?

I saw one person post that they're expecting 6-7 wins this year. I really hope you're right, because I think we're closer to 7-8 wins.

Last thought for now: It will be interesting to play a defensive team, because we figure to be the complete opposite. We expect a lot of 42-45 games this season. Our offense should put up points with a veteran OL, lots of 3 TE sets, a 1,000 yard bruising rusher returning and the top WR in the conference. But, our defense will struggles with no proven DT or DT depth, no LB depth and converted WRs at CB. Our DE situation is good, though, with lots of depth and experience, and our safeties are good, assuming that's where Amos ends up. Special Teams sucks.

So, I'm still not sure what you guys think about your team, but this is what I'm understanding. Feel free to correct/agree/add to it yourselves:

Overall, your defense should be your strength. Your DLine and LBs are experienced and good, and your DBs are at least good enough, even if they may be the weakness in your defense (specifically safeties).

On offense, you'll have a new starting QB but a decent running game with a veteran OL. But, your defense will definitely be the strength?

What kind of offense/defense do you expect the Orange to run? How successful do you expect to be?

I saw one person post that they're expecting 6-7 wins this year. I really hope you're right, because I think we're closer to 7-8 wins.

Last thought for now: It will be interesting to play a defensive team, because we figure to be the complete opposite. We expect a lot of 42-45 games this season. Our offense should put up points with a veteran OL, lots of 3 TE sets, a 1,000 yard bruising rusher returning and the top WR in the conference. But, our defense will struggles with no proven DT or DT depth, no LB depth and converted WRs at CB. Our DE situation is good, though, with lots of depth and experience, and our safeties are good, assuming that's where Amos ends up. Special Teams sucks.
It's really hard to say with the offense as all of the offensive coaches save WR have moved on to the Buffalo Bills. The new guys kept it pretty simple in the spring game, so it's hard to judge and we really aren't sure exactly what SU is getting with the 5th year senior QB from Oklahoma arriving this summer. New OC is going to be running a form of 'pistol' offense from what I gather - an it will be similar to the up tempo offense SU employed with success last season. OL should be solid and this is the best collection or RBs at SU I can remember in my 25+ years following the program.

Defense is definitely high pressure and Hackenburg better be really poised because he will have guys coming at him from all over the place. Rutgers freshman all-american Savage (now at Pitt) was never the same after facing a Scott Shafer defense a couple years back and they made Geno Smith look silly three years running. SU DTs should be very good this year and for once there is quality LB depth (they're smallish, but can really fly). I really like the depth in the defensive backfield - especially at corner.

I'm more inclined to think 8 wins again for the 2013 Orange. I think the D is legit and the running game will be good enough that it will allow whichever QB wins the starting job to get comfortable and not need to do too much.

Karma gave PSU a pass last year. For what reason? I have no idea. But I have a feeling Karma is coming for PSU this year.

I'm a current PSU student, so I have absolutely no bad feelings towards Syracuse - we've hardly played at all in my lifetime. And, I'm much more of a college football fan than a Penn State fan, but since Penn State is where I go to school, it's also who I root for and follow the most.

Anyways, I'll begin with a very long response to what your friend said:
________________________________________________________________________________________
"Him - GLEN CARSON TAKES OVER AS “THE GUY” AT LINEBACKER. WE STILL GO FIVE OR SIX DEEP THERE. WE WILL GET PASSED ON, THOUGH, 3 OUT OF FOUR NEW STARTERS AT DB. GOOD THING IS WE WILL GET TO THE QB, BARNES AND DAQUON JONES ARE SOLID. I’M VERY NERVOUS ABOUT STARTING HACKENBURG,I WOULD HAVE RATHER HE REDSHIRTED, 18 YR OLD KIDS CAN BE FLAKY SOMETIMES. FERGUSON, THE JUCO GUY, IS SOLID IF NOT SPECTACULAR. WE HAVE WEAPONS, PROBABLY THE BEST SET OF OFFENSIVE TIGHT ENDS IN THE COUNTRY, TWO REALLY GOOD WRS, BUT NOT A LOT OF DEPTH AT RB. OL IS SENIOR DOMINATED AND WILL BE A PLUS."

He is 100% wrong that we go "5 or 6 deep" at LB. We have two solid proven starters (Hull and Carson) and another guy who we really think will be good if he stays healthy (injury-redshirt frosh Nyeem Wartman). That's the starters. After that, we only have one scholarship and competent backup, Ben Kline. That's it. We are tissue-paper thin at LBU.

We only have 1-2 new starters at DB. Last year Obeng-Agyapong, Willis and Amos all started, and they're all returning. However, they're all natural safeties, so we might move Amos (who played CB last year) to safety, sit one of the other two, and play converted WRs at CB (we're getting desperate on defense due to the sanctions.)

I disagree on Jones. He has yet to live up to his hype, IMO.

I don't know how Ferguson can be "solid, if not spectacular", considering he has never played.

I agree that we have the best TEs in the country. You asked about them, so here's what I'll say:
Gilliam plays OT and TE, so he's a great blocking TE. But, he also comes out of the backfield as a fullback to catch passes.

Lehman can block as well as a lot of guys, and is a good route runner. I don't know that he is elite at anything, but he's good at everything.

Wilkins is a catch-passing, smaller but very fast TE. He didn't play last year, but figures to see some action this year.

Carter is a tall TE with great blocking skills, but he's used mostly to stretch the field with good speed and elite hands. He has made some of the best grabs I've ever seen a TE make, and will easily be going pro.

James is the other bona fide NFL TE on the roster. He's a 6'7" guys with long arms and good hands. He's quick and runs great routes, but also plays blocking TE fairly often. He and Carter can and will do everything.

Breneman is the guy everybody is excited about. He'll be a true freshman and a receiving TE, and he'll also play some WR. He has tons of speed for a guy his size (6'4"/6'5").

As for his "2 really good WR", I only know of half of them. Allen Robinson was voted as the best WR in the conference last year, and he's a monster of a man. He might not be too quick, but he is very strong and runs great routes.

I agree with his OL assessment.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good stuff. Obviously you're a PSU fan but not a brainwashed, homer like my buddy is. I think having a strong hatred in the PSU v Syracuse rivalry requires being of a certain vintage beyond my years. Recent iterations involved the worst Syracuse teams possibly ever and when we were pretty good in the 90's we never played.

Kind of odd that "linebacker U" has more depth at TE than at LB. Did you lose some recruits there when the duke hit the fan?

Best case, our defense will be a big strength. Worst case, our defense will simply be slighlty above average.

Our DT's are big kids with the smallest, Jay Bromley 6'4 293, also being the best. Zian Jones had the other spot in the Spring and did very well there by all accounts and is a house at 6'4 as well although down to a svelte 303lbs. Behind them is Iowa transfer Jon Raymon (6'5 319) who may also get some run at DE, Eric Crume (6'0 325) who's played well in a limited role but sat out the Spring and Ryan Sloan (6'2 330) who has shown signs of life in the Spring game after being quiet prior. If you want to run up the middle you're going to have a bad time.

LB spots are a bit undecided yet but more due to so many options vs lack thereof. Spruill played MLB in the Spring after starting at OLB last year after starting at MLB the year prior. He's good wherever he plays and was penciled in at MLB after our starter last year graduated but he's got 2 or 3 guys pushing him and if someone steps up he may move back outside. We have 2 JUCO's, and return 2 other LB's that played significant minutes last year and played them well. They can all run but are on the smaller side (220ish) sans a JUCO that is 245 which is more like you're used to in the B1G.

We return 3 CB's that have started games for us. Keon Lyn, and Brandon Reddish are the 2 best cover corners IMO but Rishard Anderson is a capable vet and actually was ahead of Reddish in the Spring. Lyn is 6'1 200lbs and will likely play on Sundays. He tackles well and can also hit:

Allen Robinson is solid but after seeing Marquise Lee, DJ Woods, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, and others last year our corners won't be awestruck by his talent or physical abilities.

At safety we lost Shamarko Thomas (one of my all time favorites) to the Steelers so those will be tough shoes to fill. We've got physically capable guys but at his point I'm not sure which will separate and earn the starters roles. We've got 4 or 5 guys that could all do well there but are green for the most part.

DE will likely be by committee. We have couple of upperclassmen, Welsh and Robinson, that looked good in Spring with some young guys pressing behind them. IF we can get a solid pass rush off the edges our defense could be great, if not that's when the average part comes into play. This spot is the key IMHO and could struggle vs a veteran Oline like yours.

On offense our running backs will be our strength if our oline allows as much. We've got high level talent at RB and we've got a lot of it. Jerome Smith ran for 1171 yards last year, is solid in every facet of the game and is a big dude. Your front 7 better be ready for him. Behind him is Prince Tyson Gulley who is the lightening to Smith's thunder. He ran for 883, had 282 receiving, multiple plays of 50+ yards and was last seen lighting up WVU for 262 yards and 3 td's. Behind him is Adonis Ameen Moore who is our short yardage back at 5'11 240, George Morris who redshirted last year but was electric in the Spring, and Devante Macfarlane who had a very good Spring as well. In short, there is more talent at RB then spots to play them. We may run the ball 50 times if your dline isn't up the the task and I expect 2 or 3 of these guys on the field at the same time a fair amount.

At WR names to watch are Jarrod West (big, good routes, good hands) as the clear cut #1, and Jeremiah Kobena has game breaker speed among others.

The wild card you may see anywhere on the field is Ashton Broyld a 6'4 225lb athlete that came in as a qb but is big/fast/strong enough to play rb/te/wr/?. He doesn't have a set position to call home at the moment but he's a play maker and will be on the field and probably at multiple spots on it.

At TE we've got a solid returning starter in Beckett Wales, along with Ron Thompson and Josh Parris who both look the part but both redshirted last year. Thompson looked great last Spring as a true frosh but got injured and Parris had a really solid Spring this year. Wales is the smallest at 6'3 240 but also the most established with 35 catches last year. Thompson is a man child at 6'4 256 and can run well, and really go get the ball. Parris isn't far behind at 6'2 252 and was one of our new OC's favorites in the Spring.

Needless to say I feel good about our players and overall talent level. Not sure what, if any hiccups we'll have given the coaching staff turnover but the new guys haven't seemed to skip a beat from those that left for the NFL. Obviously the Penn State game is huge and will go a long way towards shaping our season but we should be in a bowl at the very least and capable of a high level bowl.

I think it will come down to who is more effective running the ball. Old school.

I'd guess both O's come out tentative, looking to run or short little swing passes.

Low scoring, 17-10 - something like that. I expect a good game from both teams. If the score gets too wild, it will be because one of the 1st year starting QB's imploded and gave up the ball a couple of times.

Cusian, I probably disagree. It sounds like Syracuse can run like the wind, and PSU simply doesn't have much on defense. They have Deion Barnes who is a great pass rusher and DE and solid starting LBs, but PSU is very weak at DT, which plays right into Syracuse's hands (it seems).

Also, Bill O'Brien doesn't believe in tentativeness on offense. He will throw on first, run on second and never kick on fourth (seriously, unofficial stat is that PSU went for 2 times more fourth downs last year than anybody else.)

Personally, I think if the score is 17-10, Penn State is in for a very, very long season. The offense will need to score 28+ in every game, in my humblest of opinion.

"Kind of odd that "linebacker U" has more depth at TE than at LB. Did you lose some recruits there when the duke hit the fan?"

Somewhat. I think the biggest difference is that Bill O'Brien is the head coach, not Joe Paterno. Paterno believed in having LBs that could control a game, and O'Brien believes in TEs that can control a game. He did it with Hernandez and Gronkowski in New England, and he's trying to do it in State College. However, we did lose a guy who would have started this year (Khairi Fortt) to the sanctions (he bolted to Cal), and we lost some of our LB recruits when the sanctions were handed out last summer. Another commit (Zayd Issah) had his scholarship revoked after a shady relationship to a counterfeit scheme. He was eventually let off the hook legally after helping cops catch the ring leader of the scam, but as you could probably guess, PSU cannot afford any bad publicity, so they asked him to go to military school for at least a year.

Thanks for the football dialogue. ImperialOrange, your summation was on point; I'd be interested to hear where other agree/disagree.

I tend to root for all the regional teams (PSU, Pitt, Syracuse, Temple and Rutgers), so I hope you guys go 11-1 this year (sorry.) Hopefully you let me hang around the board to keep talking Orange football, or college football in general.

Cusian, I probably disagree. It sounds like Syracuse can run like the wind, and PSU simply doesn't have much on defense. They have Deion Barnes who is a great pass rusher and DE and solid starting LBs, but PSU is very weak at DT, which plays right into Syracuse's hands (it seems).

Also, Bill O'Brien doesn't believe in tentativeness on offense. He will throw on first, run on second and never kick on fourth (seriously, unofficial stat is that PSU went for 2 times more fourth downs last year than anybody else.)

Personally, I think if the score is 17-10, Penn State is in for a very, very long season. The offense will need to score 28+ in every game, in my humblest of opinion.

"Kind of odd that "linebacker U" has more depth at TE than at LB. Did you lose some recruits there when the duke hit the fan?"

Somewhat. I think the biggest difference is that Bill O'Brien is the head coach, not Joe Paterno. Paterno believed in having LBs that could control a game, and O'Brien believes in TEs that can control a game. He did it with Hernandez and Gronkowski in New England, and he's trying to do it in State College. However, we did lose a guy who would have started this year (Khairi Fortt) to the sanctions (he bolted to Cal), and we lost some of our LB recruits when the sanctions were handed out last summer. Another commit (Zayd Issah) had his scholarship revoked after a shady relationship to a counterfeit scheme. He was eventually let off the hook legally after helping cops catch the ring leader of the scam, but as you could probably guess, PSU cannot afford any bad publicity, so they asked him to go to military school for at least a year.

Thanks for the football dialogue. ImperialOrange, your summation was on point; I'd be interested to hear where other agree/disagree.

I tend to root for all the regional teams (PSU, Pitt, Syracuse, Temple and Rutgers), so I hope you guys go 11-1 this year (sorry.) Hopefully you let me hang around the board to keep talking Orange football, or college football in general.

That sounds too good to be true. Our secondary should be pretty good too. Question marks at S, but solid corners. Might come down to your TE vs our S.

Interesting.

I have a sister and brother-in-law who are graduates - and if I'm going to root for a B1G school, you guys are it. (I'm young enough to not be caught up in the rivalry days of old, though I hope one develops).

Best of luck after your first game - it's tough to start off with a loss ... But it builds character ;).

Very cool that you root for "regional" teams but you might want to reconsider the inclusion of the zombies from New Brunswick/Piscataway on your list. Completely delusional fan base.

Very cool that you root for "regional" teams but you might want to reconsider the inclusion of the zombies from New Brunswick/Piscataway on your list. Completely delusional fan base.
Come on now RMH44, I could have sworn I read that Rutgirls is now PSU's biggest rival due to their proximity. Surely that wasn't just some delusional bravado! :rolling:

I feel pretty good about the PSU game simply because they are not the traditonal power they always were in the past. As ALL4 stated karma was good to PSU last year but I think the talent base is down and less experienced this year. I really hope OB keeps recruiting TE's instead of LB's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom