What worries me the most... | Syracusefan.com

What worries me the most...

Crusty

Living Legend
This is not meant to be a slam on Dino. I am not a fan of changing coaches over and over as I think it can make matters worse. There are few miracle workers out there and even fewer we can hire. We have a quality coach fighting an uphill battle and we should stick with him.

That said, I don't see a turnaround anytime soon. We simply don't have the guys in the trenches and this recruiting class is not the cavalry. They are years away from making any real difference even if they are somewhat more talented.

At some point, we have to stop rationalizing last in conference classes. They are what they are and our record proves it. We can't compete with this level talent unless they have serious experience.

The results don't reveal Dino as the difference maker recruiter we hoped he would be. I had hoped that system would make up for some of the talent gap, but now that doesn't seem so either.

I fear that we're in for a long tough slow climb. We have probably seen our ceiling, which will be sporadic at best, and our floor is about to be exposed this year. It seems to me that our history over the last 15 years shows that our few good seasons required heavy experience combined with a few NFL level players. That means winning seasons every one of four or maybe two of five years.

I don't see what will cause a paradigm shift - wish I did. Someone please show me where I am wrong!

Myself, I am lowering expectations until we can at least string 2 winning seasons together. Let's hope that starts next year.

This is not meant to be a slam on Dino. I am not a fan of changing coaches over and over as I think it can make matters worse. There are few miracle workers out there and even fewer we can hire. We have a quality coach fighting an uphill battle and we should stick with him.

That said, I don't see a turnaround anytime soon. We simply don't have the guys in the trenches and this recruiting class is not the cavalry. They are years away from making any real difference even if they are somewhat more talented.

At some point, we have to stop rationalizing last in conference classes. They are what they are and our record proves it. We can't compete with this level talent unless they have serious experience.

The results don't reveal Dino as the difference maker recruiter we hoped he would be. I had hoped that system would make up for some of the talent gap, but now that doesn't seem so either.

I fear that we're in for a long tough slow climb. We have probably seen our ceiling, which will be sporadic at best, and our floor is about to be exposed this year. It seems to me that our history over the last 15 years shows that our few good seasons required heavy experience combined with a few NFL level players. That means winning seasons every one of four or maybe two of five years.

I don't see what will cause a paradigm shift - wish I did. Someone please show me where I am wrong!

Myself, I am lowering expectations until we can at least string 2 winning seasons together. Let's hope that starts next year.
The QB's Morgan and Markewicz are out of the norm for Syracuse QB recruits. Morgan is tall and quite mobile and the other kid probably is too, and they both come from places where high school football is a passion bordering on a religion. It all starts with quarterback play and so far I liked what I've seen from the new OC. So I would give Sterlin a big thumbs up for getting these guys. White needs a nose tackle and I think he'll get one in the offseason, a real good one. That would solve a lot of problems on defense. I think he's a solid hire with real good previous positions.

I’ve really started to value Steven Godfrey’s viewpoints on coaching. Seriously, it’s worth the $3 a month to get access to the Moon Crew discord.

He’s said that Dino’s scheme can’t work here because we’ll never get the speed to do it.

So what can he do to make it work? That’s the big question.

Morgan’s play in his first start, as a true frosh, can give us some hope. QB is the most important position, but we also need solid lines to run the ball and defend the run.
Will Dino and staff be aggressive in the transfer market? We aren’t going to get back to back winning seasons unless White lands a NT and a safety and Gilbert adds at least one OT and a weapon or two for his offense.

I’ve really started to value Steven Godfrey’s viewpoints on coaching. Seriously, it’s worth the $3 a month to get access to the Moon Crew discord.

He’s said that Dino’s scheme can’t work here because we’ll never get the speed to do it.

Where is this

We have seen the scheme work with the speed of Riley, combined with Custis, and Taj (not an overwhelming trio) — while we had a dual QB to provide the running threat and capable OTs. It comes down to having a running attack to keep the defense honest and OTs to handle the talented DEs that ACC opponents can roll out.

The floor was last season. This years results should be tossed in the ocean

If a guy like Fickel can do it at Cincinnati no reason Dino can’t do it here, enough of the excuses

I realize UC doesnt play in Power 5 conference and have the competition of the ACC but he has an American Conference school in the top 10 while pulling in 4* recruits from across the country.

Dino is going to have to go the Juco route to fill many of the holes on both sides of the trenches and hope a QB pans out sooner than later.

The current status of the program relies on HCDBs shoulders and it’s up to him to fix this fast.

As a fan base I don’t think we have unreal expectations, finish .500 and take us to a bowl. No reason this program can’t do that on an annual basis

It all depends on if Dino can get a couple transfers in next year and convince a few seniors to come back next year. Next year looks good to deliver a winning season and maybe 8 or 9 wins.

There's also things happening that will help SU recruit better and make Dino's job easier.

If a guy like Fickel can do it at Cincinnati no reason Dino can’t do it here, enough of the excuses

I realize UC doesnt play in Power 5 conference and have the competition of the ACC but he has an American Conference school in the top 10 while pulling in 4* recruits from across the country.

Dino is going to have to go the Juco route to fill many of the holes on both sides of the trenches and hope a QB pans out sooner than later.

The current status of the program relies on HCDBs shoulders and it’s up to him to fix this fast.

As a fan base I don’t think we have unreal expectations, finish .500 and take us to a bowl. No reason this program can’t do that on an annual basis

Not JUCO - regular transfers will work in the new era. Fickell is a good comp - he’s killing it there.

Agreed 100%. There is 0 reason it can't be done here. I'm not sure Dino is the guy that can do it, but it without question can be done.

A previous post said he will never be able to get speed here. Why is that? What is it that prevents fast kids from coming to Syracuse? Do fast kids not like running on new turf in a climate controlled building?

I get it, it's easy to say that things can't happen when they aren't happening at that time, but there is no reason things can't change and get better. There is nothing about Syracuse University that makes it an unwinnable circle of hell. Dino or whomever the coach is going forward just needs to get it done.

If they don't get it done, bring in a new guy with a new plan and let him execute that plan. It's the guy not the location.

Maybe it is harder to win at Syracuse than it is at Clemson? So what? Winning isn't easy, if it was everyone would win. If it was proximity to recruits Texas would win every year. No one likes losing, but many people accept that it's just the way it is and that nothing can be done about it.

I sat in Jacksonville 25 years ago and watched us kick Clemson's a$$. I watched us beat them 3 years ago. So it can be done. We just need the right guy to do it, be that Dino or whomever.

If we take what you said as true, what is our course of action? Any guy who is a slam dunk recruiter AND a great overall coach will be here for two years and dip.

If we take what you said as true, what is our course of action? Any guy who is a slam dunk recruiter AND a great overall coach will be here for two years and dip.
How do you know they'd only stay two years? How long has Luke Fickel been at Cincinnati?

Look at the run of coaches that have gone through there in the last 20 years, but someone keeps making the right hiring decisions.

Agreed 100%. There is 0 reason it can't be done here. I'm not sure Dino is the guy that can do it, but it without question can be done.

A previous post said he will never be able to get speed here. Why is that? What is it that prevents fast kids from coming to Syracuse? Do fast kids not like running on new turf in a climate controlled building?

I get it, it's easy to say that things can't happen when they aren't happening at that time, but there is no reason things can't change and get better. There is nothing about Syracuse University that makes it an unwinnable circle of hell. Dino or whomever the coach is going forward just needs to get it done.

If they don't get it done, bring in a new guy with a new plan and let him execute that plan. It's the guy not the location.

Maybe it is harder to win at Syracuse than it is at Clemson? So what? Winning isn't easy, if it was everyone would win. If it was proximity to recruits Texas would win every year. No one likes losing, but many people accept that it's just the way it is and that nothing can be done about it.

I sat in Jacksonville 25 years ago and watched us kick Clemson's a$$. I watched us beat them 3 years ago. So it can be done. We just need the right guy to do it, be that Dino or whomever.

I don’t think you can say it’s all “the guy” and none of the location. It’s obviously harder to win here for a lot of reasons.

I do think we’re glossing over the things that Wildhack and Dino have done to mitigate some of the negatives from when we first entered the ACC. Salaries competitive with our peers, more recruiting positions, private jet access, etc. all help. The Dome roof and improvements there will help too. Just have to keep chipping away.

SU fans are by nature pessimists, although I'm an optimist. I believe we were positioned to have a decent season until op-outs and injuries, and Covid. Lat years recruiting class is a good one and the next will be even better. Ratings matter, but they are not the end all. We have to accept that our guys will not be the size they need to be as freshman (typically) and will need a year or two on development before we see what they are. When it gets to the point where we are playing mostly Jr and Sr, we will be good.

I don’t think you can say it’s all “the guy” and none of the location. It’s obviously harder to win here for a lot of reasons.

I do think we’re glossing over the things that Wildhack and Dino have done to mitigate some of the negatives from when we first entered the ACC. Salaries competitive with our peers, more recruiting positions, private jet access, etc. all help. The Dome roof and improvements there will help too. Just have to keep chipping away.
Our location never changes but our results do.

Not JUCO - regular transfers will work in the new era. Fickell is a good comp - he’s killing it there.

Yeah, people need to move on from the JUCO idea. We're in the era of everyone can transfer and everyone can get a waiver to play immediately.

Well, except one school.

I just don't agree with this. Certainly sounds good and want to believe it but it's just not true, IMO. We can have some good seasons and consistent 7-5 seasons which would be great, IMO but I think that's about the ceiling here. It would take a truly special special coach to do anything better than that over a long period of time. The odds are he won't be here that long to find out either. Can only bring a knife to a gun fight so many times and get away with it.

People should look at the old rosters of when we were really good, NYS football has gone in the dumps, NJ/PA/ Florida are being recruiting by everyone. It's just such a different game ( recruiting) than it was 30 years ago and we have pretty much been left behind. Lucky to be in the ACC and try to play catch up

I don't see why many people think that another head coach and choose anyone within reason could recruit circles around Dino, sorry I just don't see it. Not going to happen, IMO. It's about the product you have to sell. Posts like " the new roof should help!!" Really? Come on!

Sure we can find another head coach, but we will still be right where we are now, rebuilding a roster. I look at it this way, Dino shot and missed on what he thought would work at Syracuse for sure with regard to a ton of stuff.. He also had a great 10-3 season and some good wins, He also has lost a ton of games and this year has been nothing short of a disaster. That said, I would like to think he's learned something in his time here. We shall see over the next few years.

Again, NO COACH WHO HAS TAKEN THIS JOB THE PAST 20 YEARS HAS BEEN PREPARED FOR IT. It is a very very difficult task to win at Syracuse consistently let alone to recruit here and by the time most realize that they have been fired or moved on

In addition, most posters here were SCREAMING for an extension for Dino in 2018. ( Including myself) I hope Wildhack knows what he is doing etc was posted everywhere. Well he got the extension now we have to live with it, for now. There was a reason for that though too, the extension that is.

IMO, there is no quick fix and that includes a new head coach.

Last edited:
SU fans are by nature pessimists, although I'm an optimist. I believe we were positioned to have a decent season until op-outs and injuries, and Covid. Lat years recruiting class is a good one and the next will be even better. Ratings matter, but they are not the end all. We have to accept that our guys will not be the size they need to be as freshman (typically) and will need a year or two on development before we see what they are. When it gets to the point where we are playing mostly Jr and Sr, we will be good.

And when those teams have great senior leaders we will be very good. Curious who the senior leaders on this team are right now?? I'll hang up and wait...

I just don't agree with this. Certainly sounds good and want to believe it but it's just not true, IMO. We can have some good seasons and consistent 7-5 seasons which would be great, IMO but I think that's about the ceiling here. It would take a truly special special coach to do anything better than that over a long period of time. The odds are he won't be here that long to find out either. Can only bring a knife to a gun fight so many times and get away with it.

People should look at the old rosters of when we were really good, NYS football has gone in the dumps, NJ/PA/ Florida are being recruiting by everyone. It's just such a different game ( recruiting) than it was 30 years ago and we have pretty much been left behind. Lucky to be in the ACC and try to play catch up

I don't see why many people think that another head coach and choose anyone within reason could recruit circles around Dino, sorry I just don't see it. Not going to happen, IMO. It's about the product you have to sell. Posts like " the new roof should help!!" Really? Come on!

Sure we can find another head coach, but we will still be right where we are now, rebuilding a roster. I look at it this way, Dino shot and missed on what he thought would work at Syracuse for sure with regard to a ton of stuff.. He also had a great 10-3 season and some good wins, He also has lost a ton of games and this year has been nothing short of a disaster. That said, I would like to think he's learned something in his time here. We shall see over the next few years.

Again, NO COACH WHO HAS TAKEN THIS JOB THE PAST 20 YEARS HAS BEEN PREPARED FOR IT. It is a very very difficult task to win at Syracuse consistently let alone to recruit here and by the time most realize that they have been fired or moved on

In addition, most posters here were SCREAMING for an extension for Dino in 2018. ( Including myself) I hope Wildhack knows what he is doing etc was posted everywhere. Well he got the extension now we have to live with it, for now. There was a reason for that though too, the extension that is.

IMO, there is no quick fix and that includes a new head coach.
I'm not saying Dino is or isn't the guy. I do think we can do better than 7-5 though at this point I'd be happy with 7-5.

Some people are born to rich parents, most aren't, but that doesn't mean they can't succeed. The same is true of an organization, which is what an athletic department is.

Sometimes you get lucky and your athletic department is in the heart of football country, sometimes you have to work a little harder.

9 times out of 10 it comes down to hiring the right people.

How do you know they'd only stay two years? How long has Luke Fickel been at Cincinnati?

Look at the run of coaches that have gone through there in the last 20 years, but someone keeps making the right hiring decisions.

How much longer will Fickel be at Cincy is the real question

I know I’m in the minority here but why is everyone so down on a triple option style offense? It has proven to be effective for teams who are not able to compete at the same talent level as their opponents. In my opinion Syracuse will always be behind the eight ball when it comes to acquiring talent, especially versus our southern ACC peers. Finishing in the bottom 3 in ACC recruiting every year will never give us a legitimate chance to be consistently good, let alone occasionally great.

Wildhack has the most important job here. He needs to pick and support a winner and then do it again after his first pick moves on. I don't think Dino is the answer but he is the demo for long term stay. So so record, older, and not a hot candidate.

We have seen the scheme work with the speed of Riley, combined with Custis, and Taj (not an overwhelming trio) — while we had a dual QB to provide the running threat and capable OTs. It comes down to having a running attack to keep the defense honest and OTs to handle the talented DEs that ACC opponents can roll out.
A decent WR output all comes down to QB play, and there's a reason Dungey staying healthy in 2018 made all of the difference. That's really the only time the Babers offense worked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom