What would you do if you were | Syracusefan.com

What would you do if you were

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Doug Marrone

With all of the BCS coaching jobs open, let's just say one logical school, Tennessee had SUHCDM on it's short list along with a former NFL Super Bowl champion coach. In the process, UT is told by the NFL coach that he isn't interested.

UT then starts the interviewing process and has HCDM in and he blows them away, much as he did TGD four years ago. Tennessee, makes a tentative offer of say $3.1 million per year for three years with bonus' & incentives.

Being that DM has already coached there, his wife Helen is from the area and one of his current staff worked there too, would he take the job? Would he let his alma mater make a counter offer? After all he has stated many times that SU was his dream job?

Looking down the road, 2013 will be a challenge in that he'll be losing his star QB and his two top wide receiver's. The opportunity to advance himself monetarily may never be better. In his fourth year as head coach he has captured a tie for the conference championship and gotten his school into it's 2nd bowl in three years.

Does he take a chance on a school like Tennessee who showed little patience with it's last coaching hire, firing him after just 3 seasons?

What would you do if you were Daryl Gross?

Would you go to bat for Doug and try to elevate his pay & incentives to be somewhat competitive with what he is being offered from UT? With Nancy being lame duck, TGD would probably have to solely seek the approval of TBOT's.

Would you start lining up candidates just in case and would Steve Addazio be in the mix? Would you look to someone already on the staff such as Donnie Henderson or Scott Schafer? Who else might be in Plan B?

What would you do if you were on the BOT's?

Would you look at the direction the program is headed? Take into account that in 2013 you will be in the ACC and your $$$ resources will be increased. Would you then spend some of those $$$ to retain the coach who has led the university out of a decade of darkness?

There may be some tough decisions for all involved.

If Doug did leave for money would he be viewed as RRod was at WVU when he left his alma mater?

Orangeyes, I think he stays here. Perhaps he gets a big bump in salary.

But if he were to go, I don't think he'd be viewed like RRod. DM has returned us to relevancy. That Gameday reminder of where we were that was posted yesterday is fresh in our minds.

At this stage, Doug's next choice will help define his legacy at SU. But whatever that choice is, I doubt it is a negative one.

If he left than everything he ever said about SU was BS and i would never believe any word out of his mouth.

Then I would be glad that no one ever bought a season ticket that didnt buy one...but if he signs an extention of lets says 5yrs, 10mil then I would believe he thinks CUSE is a legit job and has some respect.

If I were Doug, I'd eat an entire package of bologna, because damnit, he's earned it.

And I'd also stay at SU and get a long term deal. He'd be on much shakier footing at UT since there's so much more pressure there than at SU. If he can keep getting us to bowls he's golden.

If I were Doug, I'd eat an entire package of bologna, because damnit, he's earned it.

And I'd also stay at SU and get a long term deal. He'd be on much shakier footing at UT since there's so much more pressure there than at SU. If he can keep getting us to bowls he's golden.

This. The pressure of being an SEC team (even if those expectations aren't fair at UT) are massive. The adoration he will receive from SU fans if this progress continues is also massive, but in a good way. I'd stay.

Orangeyes, I think he stays here. Perhaps he gets a big bump in salary.

But if he were to go, I don't think he'd be viewed like RRod. DM has returned us to relevancy. That Gameday reminder of where we were that was posted yesterday is fresh in our minds.

At this stage, Doug's next choice will help define his legacy at SU. But whatever that choice is, I doubt it is a negative one.

Wrong. Doug would be viewed as Rodriguez on steroids. Rodriguez never made all the remarks, repetitively, that Doug did about this being his dream job etc. Rewatch the video of his speech at that hoops game - the highlights of which were Jake here's signature for a very long time. Unless SU has something to do with his departure (a big unless), he would and should be blacklisted extraordinaire.

If the money was too much to pass up, I couldn't hate him for doing it, but that's a big risk. The pressure at UT is huge, and that's a really tough job right now.

If the money was too much to pass up, I couldn't hate him for doing it, but that's a big risk. The pressure at UT is huge, and that's a really tough job right now.

A 3 year deal with a guaranteed salary 2-3 times greater than his salary here would be tough to pass up. He would be set for life, even if he fails. Even Coach Mac couldn't resist this type of offer.

Doug Marrone

With all of the BCS coaching jobs open, let's just say one logical school, Tennessee had SUHCDM on it's short list along with a former NFL Super Bowl champion coach. In the process, UT is told by the NFL coach that he isn't interested.

UT then starts the interviewing process and has HCDM in and he blows them away, much as he did TGD four years ago. Tennessee, makes a tentative offer of say $3.1 million per year for three years with bonus' & incentives.

Being that DM has already coached there, his wife Helen is from the area and one of his current staff worked there too, would he take the job? Would he let his alma mater make a counter offer? After all he has stated many times that SU was his dream job?

Looking down the road, 2013 will be a challenge in that he'll be losing his star QB and his two top wide receiver's. The opportunity to advance himself monetarily may never be better. In his fourth year as head coach he has captured a tie for the conference championship and gotten his school into it's 2nd bowl in three years.

Does he take a chance on a school like Tennessee who showed little patience with it's last coaching hire, firing him after just 3 seasons?

What would you do if you were Daryl Gross?

Would you go to bat for Doug and try to elevate his pay & incentives to be somewhat competitive with what he is being offered from UT? With Nancy being lame duck, TGD would probably have to solely seek the approval of TBOT's.

Would you start lining up candidates just in case and would Steve Addazio be in the mix? Would you look to someone already on the staff such as Donnie Henderson or Scott Schafer? Who else might be in Plan B?

What would you do if you were on the BOT's?

Would you look at the direction the program is headed? Take into account that in 2013 you will be in the ACC and your $$$ resources will be increased. Would you then spend some of those $$$ to retain the coach who has led the university out of a decade of darkness?

There may be some tough decisions for all involved.

If Doug did leave for money would he be viewed as RRod was at WVU when he left his alma mater?

1. I'm not sure what he has accomplished to date is going to get him an SEC job.

2. Unless you are willing to cheat big time taking a job at Tennessee is signing up to get fired.

Tenn Fans would go crazy he is not a big enough name yet. He would be set up to fail.

It's a fickle lover that coaching profession...I'd be happy for him with whatever decision he and his bride made. I DO NOT WANT HIM TO LEAVE...but let's face it, if he went 5-7 or 3-9 this year there would be a huge amount of posters demanding he be fired so he has to do what is best for his family.

Tenn fans, like us after robinson don't need a big splash, they need quality. Hopefully they are doppy enough to look for a flashy name and not substance. Let me also add if Marrone turns them down and if a huge deal is turned down, this will say volumes about his feelings for Syracuse University and the true direction we are going.

If I were him. I'd go. That's a lot of money and let's face it, upstate NY isn't a tropical paradise. Neither is Tennessee, but the money and prestige of coaching in the SEC would make the decision easy for me.

That said, I hope DM doesn't have my view of the world.

1. I'm not sure what he has accomplished to date is going to get him an SEC job.

2. Unless you are willing to cheat big time taking a job at Tennessee is signing up to get fired.
I agree. You need a Petrino type to win big at UT. Cheating works. Hire the best cheater available. Honest guys finish last, at least they do in the SEC.

He isn't going anywhere and if he did money is a non factor. Too many people focus on the money aspect. Marrone already donates a large percentage of his salary back to the university and he already feels that he is set financially.

If I were him. I'd go. That's a lot of money and let's face it, upstate NY isn't a tropical paradise. Neither is Tennessee, but the money and prestige of coaching in the SEC would make the decision easy for me.

That said, I hope DM doesn't have my view of the world.

So what you're saying is that it's Dino BBQ vs memphis bbq?

I said this last year, I said this when we were 1-3 and people were piling on Doug and were posting possible coaching candidates and I know I was as frustrated with marrone at the end of last year as anyone, and was pissed off but I truly believe he made a lot of changes in the off season on approach, etc. Doug is not going anywhere for the forseeable future. Like him, love him, question him, whatever but he will be the Syracuse football coach for the forseeable future. 4-8 or 9-3 he wasn't going anywhere despite what people post. He isn't perftec, nobody is but he is a great fit for Syracuse football and if you can make a good buck in Upstate NY it isn't a bad place to raise a familiy either. In addition, I still think Marrone has plenty of unfinished business here and truly believes that 4 years of busting his ass is JUST starting to pay off, why leave now? the future is bright no doubt. It may not be lined with gold but he will put a solid product on the field for years to come, it may not always be 10-2 or 9-3 but we will put a respectable product out there and have some great wins and yes he will have job sercurity as good as you can as a BCS football coach. It's a two way street

I wonder how many of the people that wanted him fired back in October would be pissed now if he left for another coaching gig. Probably a whole bunch. Which is why if I was a coach, I wouldn't give a flying f**k about the fans or their feelings...because most fans suck. I'd take the money and run.

3 years of Tennessee money and he'd be set for life???

With the extension the guy's probably going to bank at least $6-7 million from SU. He lives in CNY. Unless he spends like Antoine Walker he's already set for life.

He isn't going anywhere and if he did money is a non factor. Too many people focus on the money aspect. Marrone already donates a large percentage of his salary back to the university and he already feels that he is set financially.

Does he really donate money back every year?

If I am HCDM and have actually meant everything about SU being my dream job then I would never leave for another college job. I would lose respect for him if he did. If he eventually leaves for an NFL job I'd have no problem with it. Butch Jones at Cincy is says similar things about the Cincy job. But despite my respect for Jones, since he is not a UC grad I don't believe a word he says and fully expect him to take the next higher level job offered to him (especially since UC is gettign left behind at the realignment altar so far). I won't blame Jones, I will blame Marrone. Mostly because I believe what Marrone says.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom