What's better than 1 jersey retirement ... 2 jersey retirements | Syracusefan.com

What's better than 1 jersey retirement ... 2 jersey retirements

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
The jerseys of former Syracuse greats Don McPherson and Donovan McNabb will be raised to the Carrier Dome rafters to join the likes of Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, John Mackey and Larry Csonka. Syracuse University will honor the Orange quarterbacks in ceremonies during the 2013 football season. McPherson will return to campus on October 5 to be recognized when the Orange hosts Clemson and McNabb will take center stage on November 2 when Syracuse faces Wake Forest.

http://www.suathletics.com/news/2013/5/17/FB_0517131050.aspx

942711_449256365166723_372300209_n.jpg

SU is holding out on the roommates. Moten is overdue, and Graves should be included if the other two great SU QBs are.

I agree that Graves should be recognized also. I'm thrilled McPherson is being recognized. To me he really started our run of success in the late 80s and 90s plus I like the work he has done since graduating. Great representative of Syracuse!

I'm sorry but McPherson deserves his own day. He did just as much for SU as McNabb did and I think he will be overshadowed with McNabb on the field. Plus, is comes off looking kind of cheap. How many times have teams retired two players jearsy's at the same time that were from different times.

I'm sorry but McPherson deserves his own day. He did just as much for SU as McNabb did and I think he will be overshadowed with McNabb on the field. Plus, is comes off looking kind of cheap. How many times have teams retired two players jearsy's at the same time that were from different times.
How many undefeated seasons did #5 deliver?

Totally agree.

They are on different days!

How many undefeated seasons did #5 deliver?

In defense of McNabb, the opponents he faced from 1995-98 were much more challenging than the Charmin Double Ultrasoft schedule we had in 1987.

In defense of McNabb, the opponents he faced from 1995-98 were much more challenging than the Charmin Double Ultrasoft schedule we had in 1987.
In no way was I taking a shot at McNabb. I, like others, did not look closely enough to notice that the jersey retirements were on two separate days. My point was that Donnie had earned his own day.

The jerseys of former Syracuse greats Don McPherson and Donovan McNabb will be raised to the Carrier Dome rafters to join the likes of Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, John Mackey and Larry Csonka. Syracuse University will honor the Orange quarterbacks in ceremonies during the 2013 football season. McPherson will return to campus on October 5 to be recognized when the Orange hosts Clemson and McNabb will take center stage on November 2 when Syracuse faces Wake Forest

http://www.suathletics.com/news/2013/5/17/FB_0517131050.aspx

942711_449256365166723_372300209_n.jpg
I do not like retiring jersey numbers. Just think it is stupid. Honor them in some way but not that.

I do not like retiring jersey numbers. Just think it is stupid. Honor them in some way but not that.
I understand and agree with not wanting to retire numbers but I like retiring the jerseys with the names on them. The numbers are still in circulation and can be used. That's what they are doing with the 2 Dons.

Read it again.

hopefully SU isn't getting its ass kicked leading up to the McPherson ceremony.

And you get a jersey retired, and you get a jersey retired , and you get a jersey retired...

I understand and agree with not wanting to retire numbers but I like retiring the jerseys with the names on them. The numbers are still in circulation and can be used. That's what they are doing with the 2 Dons.
I am okay with that if true. Not that the powers that be care what I think.

Trouble is, it wasn't the challenging opponents that caused the most trouble during the McNabb era.

Don't want to get ding either deserving player, but the 1987 quarterback was able to beat all of his mid-level opponents. It wasn't usually McNabb's fault, but our very capable and talented 1995-1998 teams couldn't say the same about East Carolina et al.

Apology accepted.

McPherson will return to campus on October 5 to be recognized when the Orange hosts Clemson and McNabb will take center stage on November 2 when Syracuse faces Wake Forest.

McPherson will return to campus on October 5 to be recognized when the Orange hosts Clemson and McNabb will take center stage on November 2 when Syracuse faces Wake Forest.
An no more of this talk about turning Puerto Rico into a Steak!

With the defending national champions and a West Virginia team that was already playing the sort of ball that would give them an 11-0 season the next year.