What's more Impressive? | Syracusefan.com

What's more Impressive?

RandomGuy

All American
"The offense, or the defense?"

Best comment from the announcers.

Skipping penalties.

White has had a HUGE impact on our DEF, despite being undersized up front.

Schmidt has delivered a well coached line, that can FINALLY excel at fundamentals. (-need to fix miscues)

We've finally seen what a proper QB coach can do by maximizing a QBs skill set...

Most importantly? I just watched a Cuse team with an offensive philosophy and purpose for the 1st time in FOREVER. Its almost like the players arent going to youtube for coaching.

I like this.

Last edited:
I couldnt be more happy that we've finally come off Gimmick football. (Tempo)

If you know of a HS freshman football team that runs spread, or veer, that doesn't have a blitz pick up session? I'LL wait...

Deepite the miscues, I finally saw the line focuusing on the stuff they learned when they were 12. Long time coming... the line is in good hands.

Apparently, Garret can throw when we have an actual QB coach.

Best coached team I've watched under Babers. ...

If you know of a HS freshman football team that runs spread, or veer, that doesn't have a blitz pick up session? I'LL wait...

Deepite the miscues, I finally saw the line focuusing on the stuff they learned when they were 12. Long time coming... the line is in good hands.

Gilbert was a terrible hire and everyone seemed to know we were in trouble. Anae and White are home run hires. I've seen more from Anae tonight to know that Gilbert couldn't carry his water.

As thrilled as I am with the offense, there's a whole lot to fix on that side of the ball still.

The defense was amazing. You're going to give up yards and scores in college football. They played about as clean a game as a defense could. Goal line stand was amazing. Picks and the sack fumble were all amazing. Cunningham was shook. Pretty impressive considering on the ACC pregame show they said he was a beast that couldn't be stopped.

He got stopped.

As thrilled as I am with the offense, there's a whole lot to fix on that side of the ball still.

The defense was amazing. You're going to give up yards and scores in college football. They played about as clean a game as a defense could. Goal line stand was amazing. Picks and the sack fumble were all amazing. Cunningham was shook. Pretty impressive considering on the ACC pregame show they said he was a beast that couldn't be stopped.

He got stopped.
Lol - yes, yes he did.

We didn’t Tom Savage him but we were starting to get close

“Look at that 3 on 3 punishment!!”
The call when Mikel sacked Malik.

Linton’s strip-sack and recovery was a thing of beauty!
(And Mikel was right there too)

And we forced another fumble that they were able to recover.

Caleb O’s sack off the Freeney-esque spin move was just nasty.

He got stopped.

Ya. Defense is too hard in CFB for them to not get the game ball. This was a 17-7 game pretty late. The takeaways were also more "take the ball away" than lucky gifts that sometimes happen.

Cunningham, idk. He's not the only qb to defer to running when his 1st read isn't immediately there, but I've never seen a more transparent thought bubble thru the tv. Just looked clueless.

Ya. Defense is too hard in CFB for them to not get the game ball. This was a 17-7 game pretty late. The takeaways were also more "take the ball away" than lucky gifts that sometimes happen.

Cunningham, idk. He's not the only qb to defer to running when his 1st read isn't immediately there, but I've never seen a more transparent thought bubble thru the tv. Just looked clueless.
Even the ACC play by play guys were saying it… those weren’t easy turnovers, they were great plays by Syracuse players.

I said in the game day thread and I’ll say it here… we have been absolutely gashed by running QBs since Dwight Freeney was here. Last night the d had a plan to contain Cunningham by maintaining gap discipline to take away his running lanes and not crashing too far up field… even when we had jail breaks, it was clear the defender was coached to slow Cunningham down and let help get there to minimize the risk of a missed tackle. We turned Cunningham into a pocket passer and he had know answer. Normal cuse Ds try this and we get shredded because the back 7 or usually slow and undersized… not this year! we have nfl athleticism and talent all over the back 7 and Cunningham isn’t a good enough qb to throw in tight windows. He needs dudes to be 5 yards open. That was the story of the night for me:

Gilbert was a terrible hire and everyone seemed to know we were in trouble. Anae and White are home run hires. I've seen more from Anae tonight to know that Gilbert couldn't carry his water.
At any level coaching is critical. At SU coaching is the one area that i have felt we have been missing the boat on. Im glad JW put his foot down and also opened his wallet up. We can get good enough talent to compete if we have excellent coaches.
This staff is as good as we have had since P. Dougs staff was good but top to bottom our current staff is excellent and it showed last night.

If we played last nights game with last years staff i would bet we lose. Gilbert was God awful. Mcf level bad. Dr. Bob on the other hand is exceptional. Hopefully we can keep this gang together for a long time.

Even the ACC play by play guys were saying it… those weren’t easy turnovers, they were great plays by Syracuse players.

I said in the game day thread and I’ll say it here… we have been absolutely gashed by running QBs since Dwight Freeney was here. Last night the d had a plan to contain Cunningham by maintaining gap discipline to take away his running lanes and not crashing too far up field… even when we had jail breaks, it was clear the defender was coached to slow Cunningham down and let help get there to minimize the risk of a missed tackle. We turned Cunningham into a pocket passer and he had know answer. Normal cuse Ds try this and we get shredded because the back 7 or usually slow and undersized… not this year! we have nfl athleticism and talent all over the back 7 and Cunningham isn’t a good enough qb to throw in tight windows. He needs dudes to be 5 yards open. That was the story of the night for me:

Great post.

At any level coaching is critical. At SU coaching is the one area that i have felt we have been missing the boat on. Im glad JW put his foot down and also opened his wallet up. We can get good enough talent to compete if we have excellent coaches.
This staff is as good as we have had since P. Dougs staff was good but top to bottom our current staff is excellent and it showed last night.

If we played last nights game with last years staff i would bet we lose. Gilbert was God awful. Mcf level bad. Dr. Bob on the other hand is exceptional. Hopefully we can keep this gang together for a long time.
The defense would have been exhausted. The long offensive drives give the defense a chance to shine.

Get to a bowl this year, and it is not difficult to envision this staff / team being able to string together 3, 4, or 5 in a row.

Especially now that the QB room is stacked, for years to come [with Shrader, CDRW, Lamson, and Sellars].

And winning gives the staff something extra to sell on the recruiting trail. Clearly, we've been recruiting well, even with a losing product. Games like last night could help tip the scales in our favor even more.

LGO!!!

Agree. Offensive coaching was better. They still are a tempo team (they can go fast medium or slow). The execution is just much better.

Last edited: