What's the profile of a player who stays 3+ years at this point? | Syracusefan.com

What's the profile of a player who stays 3+ years at this point?

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
I was thinking about this earlier.

• A player who doesn't play enough is going to go to the portal to try to find more playing time.
  • A player who plays a lot likely plays a lot because he is pretty good. If that player is TOO good that player is likely to enter the portal because he wants a higher profile program and more NIL.
  • A player who plays REALLY well may leave for a better NFL jumping off point, or even to go to the draft directly.
  • A player whose positional coach or primary recruiter leaves may leave too.
  • A player who doesn't like his role in the offense may leave too.

This isn't a gripe, its just a realization that to truly feel confident a player will stay, it's almost like Goldilocks.

They need to be just good enough, but not too good. Enjoy their role in the offense just enough, but not so much they get gaudy stats they think can transfer. Be just satisfied enough w their NIL role. Be just happy enough with their progression that they feel it will allow them to achieve their goals here.

It just feels like an insanely high number of things can get in the way of it all. I'm mentally prepared to accept that in modrn college football many kids will be one year players. Maybe 2. Root for the helmet I guess.

It's the SMV of the dating game made manifest in college football:

Everybody holds on to their current situation while keeping one eye on the horizon for a better deal. They only stay if they think they are getting a more value than they are worth.

Most of your points were happening before NIL became a thing.

Your 2nd point is happening more frequently since NIL became a thing, but not every player is going to leave to seek the money. Otherwise guys like Bergeron, Tucker, G Williams would've left before this season no?

So far we haven't lost a starter to a bigger school. Hopefully we can keep that going. We need to get good so we become the higher profile school guys jump to. At one time not all that long ago, pre-Dabo, Clemson wasn't the Clemson we know today.

MV5BYzlkNjUzM2EtMGEwNi00ZGRhLWI5ZjQtNzFmYWMwNTViZTY5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDc2NTEzMw@@._V1_.jpg

• A player who doesn't play enough is going to go to the portal to try to find more playing time.
  • A player who plays a lot likely plays a lot because he is pretty good. If that player is TOO good that player is likely to enter the portal because he wants a higher profile program and more NIL.
  • A player who plays REALLY well may leave for a better NFL jumping off point, or even to go to the draft directly.

This isn't a gripe, its just a realization that to truly feel confident a player will stay, it's almost like Goldilocks.

They need to be just good enough, but not too good. Enjoy their role in the offense just enough, but not so much they get gaudy stats they think can transfer. Be just satisfied enough w their NIL role. Be just happy enough with their progression that they feel it will allow them to achieve their goals here.

It just feels like an insanely high number of things can get in the way of it all. I'm mentally prepared to accept that in modrn college football many kids will be one year players. Maybe 2. Root for the helmet I guess.

Enrique Cruz is the profile

Btw, Fine Mess is always taking donations to help fund its NIL venture.

The more money raised the better

Gotta show these kids why Syracuse is different and better

The kid who chose his school for academics, and is a good enough football player to actually get a college degree out of it. That’s your program kid.

Want players to stick around? Push academics and support their ability to succeed on a career path. Recruit smarter kids. You will lose more games, but man will it be worth it.

A lot of the kids that have left thus far, not all, were B list recruits. They were thrust into action because of injuries. These B listers then became starters and thus think they deserve playing time when the starters return, when in fact they need more time to develop. Which is why only 54% of the players who enter the portal end up playing D1 football again. The balance of the players play FBS or stop all together.
The argument I’ve read here and heard from other SU supporters is that we can’t or won’t recruit locally because it takes too much time to develop athletes from NY.
Guess what, more often than not if you recruit locally, the kids want to be here. They won’t be 4 year starters but the will be B list, loyal recruits, that will develop to contribute by year 3 or 4. They will redshirt for a year and be good depth players. And more often than not, they will stay. Some will become studs, others will be what we have now. End of my rant.

The kid who chose his school for academics, and is a good enough football player to actually get a college degree out of it. That’s your program kid.

Want players to stick around? Push academics and support their ability to succeed on a career path. Recruit smarter kids. You will lose more games, but man will it be worth it.
Not as a football fan. I see this a lot re Syracuse. I am not buying tickets to watch kids take exams. Give me a program full of C+ students who win 8+ every year over B+ students who win 4.

For me it's about finding an incentive whether through NFL pathway, NIL ...something, that gives kids a good feeling about the program as a long term destination. I've always felt that the one bullet we always leave in the chamber involves using the Dome to build out an unrivaled aerial attack that skill players would want to compile NFL level numbers in. But we always go dual threat and on the ground.

Just my 2 cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom