When does Coach K retire and who replaces him? | Syracusefan.com

When does Coach K retire and who replaces him?

supgs

Walk On
I used think Mike Brey was the obvious choice, but he's now 59yo. IMHO Gotta believe Duke will be looking at young-ish candidates, with a diversity fill a major goal. Frontrunners would then seem to be Alums.

Hop, Hurley (asu), Brey.

Yes, I said Hop. Does not mean he’ll want it, as he’d surely be coaching in a shadow. But he’s at that level of recruiting, or near, and should be taking UW to the tournament this year after a crazy two year turnaround.

I was thinking of Few, & recently Hop... but thinking now that the longer K coaches the more likely Duke opts for a K alum.

I think it will be either the alum at Northwestern [Chris Collins] or the alum at Marquette [Steve Wojciechowski].

Proven commodities, young, were both at Duke a long time as ACs, both have had success leaving the nest, both would maintain Coach K continuity after he's gone.

Hop, Hurley (asu), Brey.

Yes, I said Hop. Does not mean he’ll want it, as he’d surely be coaching in a shadow. But he’s at that level of recruiting, or near, and should be taking UW to the tournament this year after a crazy two year turnaround.
Hurley has gotta be a top candidate. His legacy, familiarity of philosophy and structure, dads coaching legacy and the grooming that comes along with it, already in Doke family and lastly, not least, he’s a damn good coach taught by blue bloods.

Starting to wonder if this may be his last year.

They are missing on a lot of targets.

Paulus would be wise to replace pat Beilein at Lemoyne when he moves on after this year.

Duke is losing recruits this year because their bag guy is now coaching Pitt.
I think K's replacement is either Woj or Collins whoever is hotter at the time. I give the edge to Collins may be OK as well. If those two flame out then and Duke needs to replace them then a guy like Hop or whoever is the HOT HC at the time

Last edited:
Nobody thinks Johnny Dawkins or Jeff Capel has a shot? They’ve both got quite a bit of head coaching experience, at high major programs too.

Can you imagine - CAN YOU JUST IMAGINE - playing against Hop coaching DUKE?????!!
Hop playing for Duke would be like Favre playing for the Vikings. That caused full scale rioting in Wisconsin, brother against brother, sister against mother, dogs and cats living together . . .

I can’t imagine Hop would “do” this to us.

Capel (pending his results at Pitt) is probably the favorite now.

But can't ignore Tommy Amaker...although he's in his 50's. Didn't do wonders at Seton Hall or Michigan. But he's done a great job at Harvard. And as they say in Durham, Harvard is the Duke of the north.

(Of course also can't ignore Collins, Wojo and both Hurleys as possibilities).

Last edited:
Zombie Boeheim will be hooked up to a Vader suit by then
So Boeheim will kill Hopkins in front of Buddy? If anything happens to Buddy's hand, I imagine all the redshirt talk will start up on the board again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom