When you don’t have elite talent you need to adjust what you do depending on the matchup | Syracusefan.com

When you don’t have elite talent you need to adjust what you do depending on the matchup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alsacs

Living Legend
JB’s refusal to do anything but 100% zone defense barring the press is just not smart.

Don’t give me our players can’t play man to man defense or practicing it requires all this time.

The fact we don’t change against a team like UNC which KNOWS how to beat this zone is maddening.

I can’t wait to beat the 11 seed with North Carolina as the 2 seed and our potential sweet sixteen matchup.

Playing the zone 95% of the time isn’t a lot to ask. The refusal to adjust is what cost us that game. We couldn’t rebound in the zone. We couldn’t stop White and did we change? No and we lost a game our offense played well enough to win.

Although I take no objection to your post, if we beat the 11 seed, we'd be a 6 (?1?!) seed, meaning that we'd get a 3/14 in the Round of 32.

I think we have the talent, the zone just has us so out of place on the defensive boards though its embarrassing.

I actually don’t know whether to blame the zone for the lack of rebounding or our on players.

Chukwu, Marek, Buddy and even Bourama.. great effort on the boards. It’s visible.

Tyus, Frank, Oshae and Elijah.. inconsistent to very poor. They have the size. I see tyus and frank kick out to perimeter players or even the outlet when the shot goes up. This would be nice if 4/5ths of the offense wasnt crashing the boards. Elijah will jump into the 2nd level of the dome for a block, but doesnt move on boards. Oshae is just inconsistent and its puzzling.

JB’s refusal to do anything but 100% zone defense barring the press is just not smart.

Don’t give me our players can’t play man to man defense or practicing it requires all this time.

The fact we don’t change against a team like UNC which KNOWS how to beat this zone is maddening.

I can’t wait to beat the 11 seed with North Carolina as the 2 seed and our potential sweet sixteen matchup.

Playing the zone 95% of the time isn’t a lot to ask. The refusal to adjust is what cost us that game. We couldn’t rebound in the zone. We couldn’t stop White and did we change? No and we lost a game our offense played well enough to win.
Agreed. It would also be nice to make foul shots.

I think we have the talent, the zone just has us so out of place on the defensive boards though its embarrassing.

I actually don’t know whether to blame the zone for the lack of rebounding or our on players.

Chukwu, Marek, Buddy and even Bourama.. great effort on the boards. It’s visible.

Tyus, Frank, Oshae and Elijah.. inconsistent to very poor. They have the size. I see tyus and frank kick out to perimeter players or even the outlet when the shot goes up. This would be nice if 4/5ths of the offense wasnt crashing the boards. Elijah will jump into the 2nd level of the dome for a block, but doesnt move on boards. Oshae is just inconsistent and its puzzling.

when the center is asked to contest 3 point shots in the corner, because our forwards are expected to cover well past top of the key out to the sideline, it has to be expected that grabbing rebounds is a next to impossible task.

Although I take no objection to your post, if we beat the 11 seed, we'd be a 6 (?1?!) seed, meaning that we'd get a 3/14 in the Round of 32.
I said Sweet Sixteen matchup.
This team could easily win 2 tournament games and then like last year the committee literally gave us the worse sweet 16 matchup it could with Conference rival Duke.
It will do the same this year and have us in North Carolina’s bracket.

when the center is asked to contest 3 point shots in the corner, because our forwards are expected to cover well past top of the key out to the sideline, it has to be expected that grabbing rebounds is a next to impossible task.

Fact.

Last night it didnt help that White was hitting shots 10 ft off the perimeter. Im just sick of seeing contested rebounds fall into the offenses hands essentially uncontested.

while i totally agree that sometimes we should be playing man, that ship has sailed years ago and is now somewhere off the coast of australia

so we have to look for answers inside of the zone. nc shot 31% from trey range. maybe we could have packed the zone more. maybe move oshae, our best rebounder, to the middle. maybe see what bras could do.

point is, we were ahead at the half on unsustainably hot shooting. the lead was phantom.

something else had to be tried.

Fact.

Last night it didnt help that White was hitting shots 10 ft off the perimeter. Im just sick of seeing contested rebounds fall into the offenses hands essentially uncontested.

Just once I'd love to see our guards start off the defensive possession, and not at the end of the game when we are desperate, a full two steps out from the three point line. Frank and Tyus with their feet on the 3 line are already beat by some kids today. 3-pointers are practically layups to kids these days. Need to get in their shorts early.

i hope Carey’s preparing mentally and physically. It’s a shame he’s getting Boeheim’d but I can tell it’s a play away from him having to jump in during March like Frank had to during his freshman year.

What good does switching to man defense do against a team that plays against it 90 percent of the time? its not like Man D is some magic answer to all you problems.

Just once I'd love to see our guards start off the defensive possession, and not at the end of the game when we are desperate, a full two steps out from the three point line. Frank and Tyus with their feet on the 3 line are already beat by some kids today. 3-pointers are practically layups to kids these days. Need to get in their shorts early.
I despise Roy but before every game he writes those three dumb words on the team’s whiteboard “sense of urgency”. I loathe UNC, but guess what? Their guards play like they’re on fire and hos forwards pick away at defenses like vultures.

while i totally agree that sometimes we should be playing man, that ship has sailed years ago and is now somewhere off the coast of australia

so we have to look for answers inside of the zone. nc shot 31% from trey range. maybe we could have packed the zone more. maybe move oshae, our best rebounder, to the middle. maybe see what bras could do.

point is, we were ahead at the half on unsustainably hot shooting. the lead was phantom.

something else had to be tried.
The fact we have to look answers in the middle of the zone is a COACHING PROBLEM.
The coach has to adapt if we won’t adapt we aren’t going to win these games.
It’s that simple. The zone wins us games but it loses us these games.

What good does switching to man defense do against a team that plays against it 90 percent of the time? its not like Man D is some magic answer to all you problems.
Lol.
You watched the game last night right?
This was UNC’s philosophy take whatever shot you want as we will just get the offensive rebound and get a closer shot.
We couldn’t rebound. Man to man allows each person the responsiblilty of boxing out there own guy. Which makes it easier to rebound.
If we rebound we win that game.

The fact we have to look answers in the middle of the zone is a COACHING PROBLEM.
The coach has to adapt if we won’t adapt we aren’t going to win these games.
It’s that simple. The zone wins us games but it loses us these games.

The zone relies on offenses missing low percentage shots in bulk. That will win us many games alone vs teams that’ll fall into that built in trap.

Roy, Buzz, and K are not falling into that trap anymore. We’re just not really adjusting and our players sag at the first chance during the second half.

Also, Luke Maye’s passes from the stripe downlow were so crisp and on target it gave me ptsd to Dejuan Blair and old Dixon teams.

I admit its easy for me to coach from my keyboard, but my simple response would be because what we were doing was clearly not working.

Maybe BC should switch to zone because they give up a lot of points and rebounds playing M2M

Two things - Roy is criminally underrated by this board. Some still get a lot of traction from his Kansas days. Frankly his kids play harder and execute better than we have since we have joined the ACC.

Two - IMHO rebounding out of the zoen requires a 3 that can board - Melo, Wes, even C, we have had smaller guys back there and they get chowed on. It is impossible for PC to have to challenge the corners and the top of the key and rebound - our forwards need to be better and quite frankly they are not. Hughes is good for a blind side block every game but he is dreadful in the zone.

Maybe BC should switch to zone because they give up a lot of points and rebounds playing M2M
Don't give up the zone, nobody is saying that. But to sprinkle some m2m in for a few minutes when what we were doing was ineffective, I don't see why we wouldn't try. Even to get them out of their rhythm for two minutes, just to change it up.

They should adjust. If you are getting torched any smart coach would change just to force the opponent to switch.
Coach K has switched between zone and man to man since working with JB.

Two things - Roy is criminally underrated by this board. Some still get a lot of traction from his Kansas days. Frankly his kids play harder and execute better than we have since we have joined the ACC.

Two - IMHO rebounding out of the zoen requires a 3 that can board - Melo, Wes, even C, we have had smaller guys back there and they get chowed on. It is impossible for PC to have to challenge the corners and the top of the key and rebound - our forwards need to be better and quite frankly they are not. Hughes is good for a blind side block every game but he is dreadful in the zone.

Hughes is actually much more athletic and a better rebounder than he gets credit for. We need a center who is physically strong enough and athletic enough to get each and every rebound and not get tied up by the opposing teams PG.

The zone relies on offenses missing low percentage shots in bulk. That will win us many games alone vs teams that’ll fall into that built in trap.

Roy, Buzz, and K are not falling into that trap anymore. We’re just not really adjusting and our players sag at the first chance during the second half.
Those guys can plan all they want but the players have to execute. Maye is a veteran who’s seen this zone before. Barrett is top 2 pick who was very comfortable at the foul line. However look at Louisville - I’m sure Mack had a great game plan but not every team has a player that they can put at the ACC logo and can make a split second decision with all of our length. You see a lot of guys panic there . Look at MSU last year.

The zone makes people uncomfortable. Sure UNC kills us every time but do we really think going M2M would slow them down? You want Tyus guarding White and Frank on Cam?

The last 2 games we did a good job on Reddish, Tre Jones, Cam Johnson and Luke Maye. Barrett and White hurt us. We lost the Duke game because we couldn’t score and we lost the UNC game because of free throws. Neither was a zone issue

They should adjust. If you are getting torched any smart coach would change just to force the opponent to switch.
Coach K has switched between zone and man to man since working with JB.
UNC let up 85 last night and switched to zone for I think 2 possessions . Teams stick with their philosophies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom