Whens the last time a Syracuse Athlete | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Whens the last time a Syracuse Athlete

Had as much pressure on him going into the season as Joe? Honest question, the fanbase seems heated right now.

I have faith in him and think he rises to the occasion. Think it’s time people rally behind the kid a bit rather than be overly critical and negative towards him because we’re fed up with the boss.
The second he jacks up a shot with 25 seconds left on the shot clock with a guy in his grill, picks up his dribble 2 steps in from half court and loses it, or drives into 3 guys with his head down he loses that good will.

I’m fed up with his game, fed up with his decision making but yes also fed up with JBs unconditional love for him.

Had as much pressure on him going into the season as Joe? Honest question, the fanbase seems heated right now.

I have faith in him and think he rises to the occasion. Think it’s time people rally behind the kid a bit rather than be overly critical and negative towards him because we’re fed up with the boss.
Michael Edwards, Andrew Robinson,

Our football team’s starting quarterback?

Good players put pressure on themselves, they could give two s about pressure from fans and the media. Hope Joe ignores the haters on the board, in the coomunity and any inn the media. i hope he is the best Joe he can be, not try to be Kadary.
Besides, we have Symir too. Interested to see how he does under the shot Dr. McNamara by next March.

Our football team’s starting quarterback?

Biggest pressure is on you guys. How are you gonna sustain this level of crazy over an entire off-season and be game ready early in the season?

I think Joe is the kind of young man that is going to work his butt of this offseason and come back much better equipped to handle the pressure. That being said, I would love to land another ACC starting caliber PG and let the best player win the starting job...this time.

Most of the "fan" base think Kardary is a backup who left for greener pastures. We were a streaky sweet 16 team, and likely will play at about the same level next season. i dont see all the added pressure.

And to just answer the question, Devito came in with a lot more pressure the year after Dungey graduated. What was that, two falls ago?

Buddy Boeheim last season probably

Joey Spallina. February 2023.

If by pressure you mean expectations for him to be great ... anyone that is holding him to that standard is an idiot

I love Georgetown and UConn fans more than Cuse basketball only’s

Can’t be mad at Joe (except his shot selection at times), he’s giving his all.

Can question the roster management and in-game management by JB. There’s the issue. Right now, we have a SG ticketed to play 30+ at PG again, and 1 other guard that has consistent enough ability to handle ball pressure (hopefully). The lack of handlers and athleticism in on team construction.

With that said, Joe has a major opportunity ahead of him. We can all see his issues, so I’m sure the staff can too. Work on his body/quickness over the next 6 months and come back t athlete. He’ll never be Jonny Flynn but he can certainly get stronger and improve his agility. And if he works on his handle and being better on the ball alongside that, he can certainly transform his game. The D will never be good in combo w/Buddy but can be improved and passable. All of these are areas he CAN improve to make himself and the team better. Hope he can do so, as we definitely will need it.

First let me go on record as betting that JGIII will bounce back and have a very good coupla years in this program, and that eventually we will look back on some of these takes and marvel at how many got it wrong. More often than not that has been the pattern w/ most players in our program.
Secondly, has it ever occurred to folks that maybe JB wants JGIII to be that gunslinger, because he believes he can make those shots on a regular basis?
I think JB wants the most effective version of JG3 on display & in his opinion, for better or worse, a high level shot-making Girard was more valuable than an offensively limited, pure facilitator PG like Kadary. The key being “right now”- because eventually Kadary could’ve/would’ve become better in all facets, but not yet.
We can argue whether he’s right or wrong, and frankly, it’s this all-or-nothing approach that has often limited his use of the bench, changing of defenses, and/or offensive approach.
In any case, what i won’t do is question JB’s intentions...only his conclusions. Of course he wants to win. And he believes “Gunslinger Joe Girard” , warts and all, playing alongside the postseason version of Buddy Buckets, is a very formidable & winning duo. So much so that he perhaps neglected other options available, and in this era of the transfer portal, Kadary/Woody/Bras, unlike the “old days”, could move on rather than waiting on the old man’s vision to come to fruition.
That IMO is the lesson hopefully learned this past year. Play your kids, expand roles, even a little bit, or they’ll move on and you’ll be starting over every season. Honestly, i can’t say I’m confident it’ll happen, but we shall see next year if that translates to a more flexible version of JB.

First let me go on record as betting that JGIII will bounce back and have a very good coupla years in this program, and that eventually we will look back on some of these takes and marvel at how many got it wrong. More often than not that has been the pattern w/ most players in our program.
Secondly, has it ever occurred to folks that maybe JB wants JGIII to be that gunslinger, because he believes he can make those shots on a regular basis?
I think JB wants the most effective version of JG3 on display & in his opinion, for better or worse, a high level shot-making Girard was more valuable than an offensively limited, pure facilitator PG like Kadary. The key being “right now”- because eventually Kadary could’ve/would’ve become better in all facets, but not yet.
We can argue whether he’s right or wrong, and frankly, it’s this all-or-nothing approach that has often limited his use of the bench, changing of defenses, and/or offensive approach.
In any case, what i won’t do is question JB’s intentions...only his conclusions. Of course he wants to win. And he believes “Gunslinger Joe Girard” , warts and all, playing alongside the postseason version of Buddy Buckets, is a very formidable & winning duo. So much so that he perhaps neglected other options available, and in this era of the transfer portal, Kadary/Woody/Bras, unlike the “old days”, could move on rather than waiting on the old man’s vision to come to fruition.
That IMO is the lesson hopefully learned this past year. Play your kids, expand roles, even a little bit, or they’ll move on and you’ll be starting over every season. Honestly, i say I’m confident it’ll happen, but we shall see next year if that translates to a more flexible version of JB.
No, I won't believe any of this. It's just rationalization dressed up as analysis. Joe's bad shots lead directly to points the other way. There is no way that JB wants that.

No, I won't believe any of this. It's just rationalization dressed up as analysis. Joe's bad shots lead directly to points the other way. There is no way that JB wants that.

There are literally middle school kids that can do the analysis to show how his poor decisions lead to inefficiencies and lower chances for our wins.

Come on. JB may be stubborn but he isn't an idiot.

Tommy D on the football team.

Joe is absolutely an asset to this team.

It's his usage patterns that are the larger issue.

(OK - and his shot selection. And inability to break a press.)

He'd be the perfect 3rd guard for a typical Syracuse team of past vintage.
But, he's being asked to do too much, and for too many minutes.

(I realize that none of his is a revelation to any of you)
We really ought to consider that JG, like other SU players, has the potential to continue to improve over four years. That’s the trajectory for most players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom