Where college athletics needs to go: | Syracusefan.com

Where college athletics needs to go:

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
Football and men's basketball needs to be spun off as a professional league. Schools sponsor the teams. The schools can fund the teams, as can sponsors, etc. The league becomes a marketing arm of each university. Kids can elect to get an education, but it's not required. Housing would be separate, or up to the kids to find.

Football and men's basketball needs to be spun off as a professional league. Schools sponsor the teams. The schools can fund the teams, as can sponsors, etc. The league becomes a marketing arm of each university. Kids can elect to get an education, but it's not required. Housing would be separate, or up to the kids to find.
In this model, do kids enroll in college classes?

No thanks.

Terrible suggestion.

No thanks.

Terrible suggestion.
Why? Are you clinging to the notion that they are students who happen to play sports? They are not. They are revenue producersbrand ambassadors/marketers who the school needs to keep academically eligible.

Get Universities out of the hypocrisy that is major college sports.

Most SU fans aren't upset that SU committed academic fraud with Fab Melo, they are upset because other schools aren't punished for their wrongdoings.

UNC basketball found a work around for sports that shorted everyone.

Rapists and abusers are given chance after chance in circumstances where normal students would be out.

All of the other sports can stay under the student/athlete umbrella.

Why? Are you clinging to the notion that they are students who happen to play sports? They are not. They are revenue producersbrand ambassadors/marketers who the school needs to keep academically eligible.

Most SU fans aren't upset that SU committed academic fraud with Fab Melo, they are upset because other schools aren't punished for their wrongdoings.

Rapists and abusers are given chance after chance in circumstances where normal students would be out.

No, I'm just expressing that all of these changes collectively have done irrevocable harm to college athletics. As I recall, you have been squarely supportive of players getting paid, unlimited transfer flexibility, NIL, etc. Those things each individually had the potential to be Pandora's box -- and they were. Together, they've wreaked havoc in just a few short years. Because while they might have been well-intentioned, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. And now the genie can't be put back in the bottle.

Giving players who've graduated the ability to transfer without sitting out was a great idea -- but it created an unintended loophole that players who'd already transferred could exploit. NIL makes a lot of sense -- but when it was rolled out so hastily, everyone could see that it wasn't enforceable, and would quickly get out of hand. It only took 1 year for that to occur. And now we have players threatening to transfer if they don't get compensated better, and corrupt business men chirping back and forth on social media with those players they've paid. We have schools overtly negotiating deals with players -- this isn't how it was supposed to happen. We have thousands of players in the transfer portal, most of which stand to lose their scholarships because nobody picked them up, and outside of a small minority who upgrade, most will not.

So no, the answer is not to support a model that emulates semi-pro athletics. We've replaced a highly corrupt, bastardized version of pretend amateur athletics by allowing the cheating to now occur out in the open for all to see.

If that's what you want, then go pick a semi-pro team to support. As hoopsupsate posts above, 99.9% of college athletes won't be able to go pro in their sports. The system shouldn't be entire geared around the .1% that will. And yet, somehow the narrative that the education student athletes get for free because they are good at a sport is somehow of diminished value is bunk.

I reject your notion that many -- or even most -- students playing sports are not student athletes. Are there exceptions? Absolutely. And there are certainly programs that view players in certain sports as assets. But the vast majority do not fit your description. Do you think that's true of the players in our basketball and football programs? I don't.

It is going to be very interesting to see how this unfolds. The system was broken before, and now it has gone off the rails. It can't be fixed. The programs that want to be semi-pro probably need to splinter off, as the ND AD predicts. And the NCAA needs to be replaced with a governing body that doesn't have archaic rules that are arbitrarily and capriciously enforced.

No, I'm just expressing that all of these changes collectively have done irrevocable harm to college athletics. As I recall, you have been squarely supportive of players getting paid, unlimited transfer flexibility, NIL, etc. Those things each individually had the potential to be Pandora's box -- and they were. Together, they've wreaked havoc in just a few short years. Because while they might have been well-intentioned, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. And now the genie can't be put back in the bottle.

Giving players who've graduated the ability to transfer without sitting out was a great idea -- but it created an unintended loophole that players who'd already transferred could exploit. NIL makes a lot of sense -- but when it was rolled out so hastily, everyone could see that it wasn't enforceable, and would quickly get out of hand. It only took 1 year for that to occur. And now we have players threatening to transfer if they don't get compensated better, and corrupt business men chirping back and forth on social media with those players they've paid. We have schools overtly negotiating deals with players -- this isn't how it was supposed to happen. We have thousands of players in the transfer portal, most of which stand to lose their scholarships because nobody picked them up, and outside of a small minority who upgrade, most will not.

So no, the answer is not to support a model that emulates semi-pro athletics. We've replaced a highly corrupt, bastardized version of pretend amateur athletics by allowing the cheating to now occur out in the open for all to see.

If that's what you want, then go pick a semi-pro team to support. As hoopsupsate posts above, 99.9% of college athletes won't be able to go pro in their sports. The system shouldn't be entire geared around the .1% that will. And yet, somehow the narrative that the education student athletes get for free because they are good at a sport is somehow of diminished value is bunk.

I reject your notion that many -- or even most -- students playing sports are not student athletes. Are there exceptions? Absolutely. And there are certainly programs that view players in certain sports as assets. But the vast majority do not fit your description. Do you think that's true of the players in our basketball and football programs? I don't.

It is going to be very interesting to see how this unfolds. The system was broken before, and now it has gone off the rails. It can't be fixed. The programs that want to be semi-pro probably need to splinter off, as the ND AD predicts. And the NCAA needs to be replaced with a governing body that doesn't have archaic rules that are arbitrarily and capriciously enforced.
Good post.

The problem is that the system we were coming from is worse in that as money flowed from TV, it exacerbated the players lack of compensation by comparison *while* a black market of cheating has flowed beneath it.

The system is broken. And it will splinter along the lines of "winning is everything" vs "academics are important too" as you suggest. I will be bummed no matter what camp we end up in - because it didn't have to be that way, but for greed and incompetence.

Why does the school need to keep them academically eligible? Isn’t that at the heart of the farce that this is becoming?

Thank you. It was getting pretty lonely around here.

The only way you reign in NIL deals is to put the players under contract that signs away their NIL rights (which is possible). The problem with that, of course, is it will cause players to "unionize" and broker a collective bargaining agreement, which will in turn require universities to pay players for giving up their NIL rights. The players aren't going to sign away their rights for nothing. Basically, you end up with players being paid either way.

I am even suspect of the Federal government getting involved (I'm still not sure how NIL is a federal issue). I would fully suspect if the Federal government passed something, it would be contested in the courts immediately, eventually making it's way to the Supreme Court.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom