Where do we need to focus 2022 and 2023 | Syracusefan.com

Where do we need to focus 2022 and 2023

orangenauburn

2023 Cali Award Average Attendance
Just for fun

What are your position of concern that need addressing with depth and quality in the 2022 and 2023 classes?

I think we need to add 6-7 DL over next two classes.

I think we will need to add 5-6 LB over next two classes.

Add another 5-6 OL over next two classes.

Definitely need a QB, probably two in 2023. 2022 might be too late for any quality. Can see a transfer or two after this year.

Going to need at least 2-3 RB. Going to lose Adams and Howard, most likely Tucker after next year as well.

What are your thoughts?

Just for fun

What are your position of concern that need addressing with depth and quality in the 2022 and 2023 classes?

Definitely need a QB, probably two in 2023. 2022 might be too late for any quality. Can see a transfer or two after this year.

Going to need at least 2-3 RB. Going to lose Adams and Howard, most likely Tucker after next year as well.

What are your thoughts?
DL for sure, DT in particular. At least one good QB. a Couple more receivers and linebackers. A couple more OT’s and a phenomenal water boy or girl.

We have some youth on the DL but need immediate help for next season. For 2023 def need a QB and prolly a RB, TE, LBs on defense.

Just for fun

What are your thoughts?
Concentrate on talent and less on positions.

well we have like 1 spot left for next yr at this point. but the bigger question will be how many do we have left for 2 yrs out considering so many will have time left. pretty good chance 3-5 more do leave as that always seems to happen. lots of teams gonna be short of places to put people and people in the portal will be looking to move. where does that leave next yrs FR class of Recruits to go.

Good question. This is tricky. Covid and the transfer portal have really made this difficult to project.

Any player who is three years removed from high school could enter the NFL draft. This means any player who graduated in 2019 or earlier could leave. Of course this would usually only apply to studs who project to actually get drafted. But, we currently have more than 40 players on the roster who are at least three years removed from high school (Class of 2019).

Syracuse currently has close to 25 players who have been in college for four years or more, thus should be getting close to graduating. Of course many of them cold graduate and still have eligibility on the clock because of the extra year given due to Covid.
  • QUESTION: If a players graduate in four years, but still has eligibility remaining, is the school obligated to expend the player's scholarship beyond the four year?
    • Syracuse has more than a dozen players that fit this description.
      • Coaches may want to keep some.
      • Coaches may not want to keep some.
      • Some will choose to enter the portal as grad transfers.
      • Some may choose to take their degree and walk away leaving eligibility on the table.
Syracuse currently has a large number of players who according to the NCAA are freshmen with three years of eligibility remaining after this season.
  • 10 RS-Fr from the 2019 class (also NFL eligible after this season; G. Williams, M. Jones, Bergeron)
  • 25 Fr from the 2020 class. Thank you Covid
  • 20 Fr from the 2021 class.
    • Many of the 25 Fr will be redshirted if possible in order to create separation between the classes and prevent an unmanageable bubble from hitting the program in a couple f years.
    • Some of these freshman will hit the transfer portal after they find themselves buried in the depth chart. How many? That could be the $64,000 question. (How do you fill behind an opening you cant predict?)

Okay, so with all of this unknown who should we focus on for 2022? 25 scholarships per year.
  • OL; 5-6: 4-5 Fr + 1 xfer
  • QB: 1
  • WR; 3
  • HB; 2-3: 2 Fr + a transfer
  • DL; 5: 3 freshmen + 2 transfers (need a big NG; 1 Fr, 1 xfer)
  • LB; 3-4, need to RS 3 guys this year.
  • DB; 4-5, including 1 xfer

That's 23-27 players. We can probably easily sign more than 30 guys in 2022. Remember, most of the players from the 2021 class who reported for the spring semester last year count against the 2020 class not the 2021 class. and, anyone who reports early before spring 2022 could possiblt be counted as part of the 2021 class.

Without much thought
QB 1
WR 1
RB 1
OL 4
DT 3
DE 2
LB 2
CB 3
S 2

QB, DL, OL

We seem to do an average to elite job recruiting the other positions, but those 3 have been a regular thorn as far as both consistent quality of recruits and development as they progress in the program. I think the tide is turning on OL and QB recruiting but the DL in particular worries me. Not sure where we’d be this season if we didn’t have the 3 6th years come back.

DL -- both DT and DE -- need to be a concerted focus over the next couple of classes.

QB -- need to land a quality prospect every year, and let the chips fall where they may. I think the pipeline is fairly well stocked long-term with Shrader / Lamson / Morgan, but the more talent we can add here, the better.

WR -- like some of the young players from the past two classes, but it's all unproven. Need to continue to build here.

I think you can see where the staff is focusing recruiting in 2023 by who is receiving recruiting material today.
Just did a quick tally for 2023 based on threads with "offered" in the title. Based solely on the positions listed in the thread titles:

QB: 6
RB: 8
OL: 12
LB: 7
DL: 22
DB: 21
WR: 22
ATH: 5

Given the attrition on both lines the last few cycles and the developmental nature of the recruits we tend to land I really think you need to heavily recruit those positions every year. I think a minimum of 2 DT's, 3 DE's, and 4 OL every cycle. I also think we've been really hurt by the lack of a true center with this system, I think we should focus on landing one every cycle because it is such an important position for the inside run game.

I also think we've been really hurt by the lack of a true center with this system, I think we should focus on landing one every cycle because it is such an important position for the inside run game.

And also to be able to get out and defend the corner 3.

#boeheimed.

;)

Given the attrition on both lines the last few cycles and the developmental nature of the recruits we tend to land I really think you need to heavily recruit those positions every year. I think a minimum of 2 DT's, 3 DE's, and 4 OL every cycle. I also think we've been really hurt by the lack of a true center with this system, I think we should focus on landing one every cycle because it is such an important position for the inside run game.
I think it's easier to upgrade the DB/LB positions and WR/RB positions out of the portal, and much harder to get quality people for the lines doing it. So I'd rather see an overage of HS OL/DL prospects that figure themselves out due to the annual attrition we seem to be experiencing between injuries, transfers to the portal, etc.

We need some delicious mouthwatering BEEF and shark meat at LB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom