Where does firing coach p rank | Syracusefan.com

Where does firing coach p rank

Pearl309

Hall of Fame
Was thinking if we never fired him, where do you think we’d be now/ what do you think may have happened
It’s probably been talked at ad nauseam over the years but I’m bored.

1533507540928.jpeg

I haven't really thought about it but I would say I really wish looking back that we did a better job of getting a coach after him. It almost feels like we didn't really do a great job of thinking of what our opportunities were. Lost a lot of ground with that decision.

Was thinking if we never fired him, where do you think we’d be now/ what do you think may have happened
He had some good years no doubt so you have to give him that. But he should have been let go long before he was. We are still paying for that. Not being willing to invest in the problem during that timeframe as well as when we were on top way back when with Davis & Brown dictates we’re we are today.

2001 saved him. Gave him a few. Extra years.

That said they should have given him one last year and executed the termination / replacement at a much higher and more professional manner.

We had a lot of guys interested in the job who took other jobs that in hindsight, would have kept us relevant.

In fact, i still think Frank Maloney got a raw deal. Coach Mac won w/ his players, I tell ya! A few more seasons and he would’ve turned it around!!

In fact, i still think Frank Maloney got a raw deal. Coach Mac won w/ his players, I tell ya! A few more seasons and he would’ve turned it around!!
Frank Maloney did set the table for Coach Mac, but he just didn't have the feel for all the dimensions of being a head coach. He was more Doug Marrone than Doug Marrone!

Last edited:
It accelerated the decline and Gerg took the controls of a plane with a misfiring engine into a power dive followed by a terminal spin. Worst decision regarding the program ever by people who should have known better.

A snap decision out of pique by what should have been the calmest heads in the room and then handed the decision to a non entity that picked a supreme incompetent.

Brand destroying decision.

It accelerated the decline and Gerg took the controls of a plane with a misfiring engine into a power dive followed by a terminal spin. Worst decision regarding the program ever by people who should have known better.

A snap decision out of pique by what should have been the calmest heads in the room and then handed the decision to a non entity that picked a supreme incompetent.

It’s was a bad decision but the program was a mess at that point anyway. University had milked that Coe dry and didn’t invest at all in the program.

Ray Rice and a couple other recruits would have been here. I think a few more bowls would have happened. But in modern football and for the future it was the right move, but Gross never got the right hire.

Thank you
I remember at the time also being shortsighted, but man cooler heads should’ve prevailed. That gross appearance during the bowl commentary? That is stuff a PR firm with half an ounce of brains is like umm ya no.

Where would we be now? An entire generation of kids have been born and grown to recruit status, almost, since then. No one has any idea.

No win situation. I truly think he would have been retained if the bowl game was even close. Getting destroyed left the admin with no choice. It was late in the game, SU didnt step up at the level needed and ended up with a coach who needed a map to find the east coast let alone CNY. Its a miracle we survived the little train that couldn't. 2.

Where would we be now? An entire generation of kids have been born and grown to recruit status, almost, since then. No one has any idea.
That was the point.pure speculation and killing time.

It was a horrific decision.

The individuals who pushed for the dismissal were not football people and did not understand why the program was having difficulty.

The basic problem was financial - the University's failure to sufficiently invest in the program - outdated training facilities, outdated weight training facilities, outdated locker rooms - the Carrier Dome AstroTurf and on and on.

By the time Marrone got here we were still way behind.

Robinson and his staff revealed just how effective Pasqualoni and his staff were.

It was a horrific decision.

Robinson and his staff revealed just how effective Pasqualoni and his staff were.
Thank you. This was kind of my opinion as well. If P would’ve stayed a few more years I think some of this stuff could’ve been righted under gross while he was there. Gross was such oil and water with coach p, he didn’t stand a chance.
We had the misfortune of old era meeting with the new era of college sports in a head on collision

No win situation. I truly think he would have been retained if the bowl game was even close. Getting destroyed left the admin with no choice. It was late in the game, SU didnt step up at the level needed and ended up with a coach who needed a map to find the east coast let alone CNY. Its a miracle we survived the little train that couldn't. 2.

Don't agree at all.

Bowl games prompt blow outs all the time.

With a month off there are a lot of variables that are difficult to control.

I'm pretty sure that Clemson got destroyed in a bowl game a few years after P was fired - by WVU?

You don't make an emotional decision at halftime of a meaningless bowl game.

Horrific moment for Chancellor Cantor.

Thank you. This was kind of my opinion as well. If P would’ve stayed a few more years I think some of this stuff could’ve been righted under gross while he was there. Gross was such oil and water with coach p, he didn’t stand a chance.
We had the misfortune of old era meeting with the new era of college sports in a head on collision

It wasn't Gross' decision.

It was made without his consultation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom