Where Does Jonny Flynn fit in with all-time Cuse Greats? | Syracusefan.com

Where Does Jonny Flynn fit in with all-time Cuse Greats?

Didn’t stay long enough and made one sweet 16 finishing 2nd in the BE. Wouldn’t consider him an all time great. He’s an all time talent.
Agreed but the talent/parity in the Big East at that time was absolutely insane.

3rd best PG we’ve had.

Stud from day 1. Barely came off the court for 2 years and carried a heavy load. 16 and 6 with good percentages. Extremely dynamic. Hit a number of big shots. Always felt like we had a chance with him out there.

Really great player and great kid. Seemed to always be smiling. Watching the 6 OT game again really made me appreciate how explosive he was. Shame he got injured in the nba. He had a productive rookie year on a bad team in a league where it’s tough to make an impact early on.

Didn’t stay long enough and made one sweet 16 finishing 2nd in the BE. Wouldn’t consider him an all time great. He’s an all time talent.

His Freshmen year team was plagued by injuries. Rautins before the season and Devendorf during.

C AO
F Donte
F Harris
G Devo
G Flynn

With Rautins Kristoff Scoop Rick Jackson off the bench.

That team would have made the tournament healthy and prob gotten to the sweet 16 at least.

Hes one of my favorites I love the little guys. Very good player not an all time great.

His Freshmen year team was plagued by injuries. Rautins before the season and Devendorf during.

C AO
F Donte
F Harris
G Devo
G Flynn

With Rautins Kristoff Scoop Rick Jackson off the bench.

That team would have made the tournament healthy and prob gotten to the sweet 16 at least.
That starting lineup has three McDonald’s All Americans and another who should have been. Not too shabby.

Good player who gets more hype than he deserves. I think he's with Ennis behind the obvious three and MCW and Leo Rautins if you classify him as a point.

Ranking the PGs in the Boeheim era:
1. Pearl Washington
1A. Sherm
3. Gmac
4. Hart
5. Flynn
6. MCW
7. Ennis
8. Autry

Really great player and great kid. Seemed to always be smiling. Watching the 6 OT game again really made me appreciate how explosive he was. Shame he got injured in the nba. He had a productive rookie year on a bad team in a league where it’s tough to make an impact early on.
Agree with you on the 6 OT game, I have seen it a few times, including every minute as it happened, but when I watched it a few months ago, his play really stood out! He was a straight up MAN in that game!

Flynn was extremely talented, supremely charismatic, a true leader. My favorite player of all time. Where he ranks on all time greats is questionable, but he is easily one of the coolest players we've ever had.

A summary of Jonny Flynn's career from orangehoops:

Jonny Flynn was a talented point guard for Syracuse basketball for two seasons. He was able to drive between defenders to the basket, pull up for the three point shot, or pass to an open teammate. He also played with an incredible toughness rarely taking breaks in a game.

Jonny Flynn Syracuse Orange Basketball
Flynn was a high school teammate of Syracuse forward Paul Harris, and a McDonald's All-American. He and Donte' Greene came to Syracuse as one of the most heralded duo's the school has ever had. Flynn did not disappoint.

Flynn had a reputation as being a great passer and showed he could also score by scoring 28 points in his first collegiate game, a home game against Siena, breaking the Syracuse freshman single game scoring record of 27 set by Carmelo Anthony. Flynn would play solid most of the season, and because of attrition of the available players at the guard position by time conference play started, he would play virtually every minute of the Big East season, averaging 39+ minutes a game. Flynn would be name Co-Rookie of the Year in the Big East, along with making the All Rookie Team, and Honorable Mention All-Big East.

Flynn's sophomore season would top his freshman year. He would start the season leading the Orange in scoring six straight games, and leading them to the preseason CBE Basketball Championship over Kansas. As the Big East season rolled around, Flynn became more comfortable trusting his teammates, particular Eric Devendorf and Andy Rautins, to take the tough shots, and he began passing the ball more routinely, and more effectively. In a loss against Providence, Flynn single handedly kept Syracuse in the game with a career high 35 points.

Flynn's play making became more spectacular as the Big East season rolled on, and the Orange were playing far more effectively as a result. Flynn made a great pass to Rautins for the game clinching overtime shot against Marquette, to wrap up the regular season. Flynn would follow in the steps of legendary Syracuse guards Pearl Washington and Sherman Douglas, and make the Big East Tournament his own special show. Flynn would score 19 points and have 11 assists in the first round of the tournament as Syracuse easily won over Seton Hall.

The next game was against #4 nationally ranked UConn, in a game that would go down as one of the greatest Big East Tournament games ever played. The game would go six overtime periods, before Syracuse would eventually win it 127-117. Flynn played 67 of the possible 70 minutes in that game, including all thirty minutes of overtime. Along the way he would score 34 points, including 16 of 16 from the free throw line. Syracuse would go on to beat West Virginia the next night, again in overtime, before losing to Louisville in the finals. Flynn would be named the Big East Tournament's Most Valuable Player, despite playing on the losing team.

Flynn would play strong again in the NCAA tournament, showing that he could play with the best players in the country. He would be named to the All Big East 2nd Team. When the season had ended, Flynn had played more minutes in a season than any Orangeman had ever played before.

Flynn would take advantage of his strong finish to declare himself for the NBA draft, ending his collegiate career after his sophomore season. He was drafted in the first round of the 2009 NBA Draft with the 6th overall pick by the Minnesota Timberwolves.

In the Boeheim era:
1. Pearl
2. Sherm
3. Gmac
4. Jonny
5. Jason

You're not wrong.

Clearly, Pearl & Sherm are 1 & 2 (and one could argue those #'s could be reversed).

Battling Jonny for 3rd:
GMac, Red, MCW, Hart, and ?? Maybe Scoop? Ennis?
Dennis Duval?

The question was All - Time Fit with SU Greats IMO: All but Flynn are on the All Century Team probably due to his short tenure of 2 years. But, I watched him play and he and Douglas were the fastest point guards I ever saw at SU. Also a great passer. 107 steals in two seasons.

1. Dave Bing
2. Pearl Washington
3. Sherman Douglas
4. Gerry MacNamara
5. Jonny Flynn
6. Jason Hart
7. Stevie Thompson
8. Dennis DuVal

I was watching a Michael Edwards/young Auntry -era game that someone posted the other day and one of my first thoughts was "wow, I don't give Jonny Flynn enough credit."

Flynn was very, very effective offensively (and capable enough on defense if he wanted) in spite of being no more than 6 feet tall. His numbers were terrific (though a lot of people would've thrived under the '08 and '09 systems and tempos).

It's difficult for me to assess him objectively, given his incomplete career and average won-lost record and his shaky rep among some coaches. He did a lot of things so well, though, had a ton of talent, and that talent was effective despite his small size.

I remember being pumped about the prospective 09-10 team when the prior season ended. I believed Jonny was to be the best point guard in the country, and we knew we had something special in Wes Johnson joining. Was surprised he left after his So. Year. Then the 09-10 squad became one of our best ever!

Had he stayed one or two more, he would be in the discussion with guys like Wallace and Warrick for sure, maybe even Coleman and Owens. I believe the 2010 team is even better with him and having him against Butler has to be enough to get us past them without AO, raising his profile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom