Where were you September 11, 2001?

4evaOrange

Anna Kendricks boyfriend.
I for one was in my 8th grade social studies class at Huntington middle school, during second period. I remember some other teacher cAme in our room and whispered something to our teacher and left, then she came back later and said something else. And our teacher paused and then tOld us what had happened, and then throughout the day it was some fire alarms and we were outside for a while, and when the day was over and I got home I realized the magnitude of what happened because it was on just about every channel...

JJReddawg

All Conference
I didn't have any classes that morning and was working a shift at the P&C. Didn't get a full grasp on it until seeing the television coverage.

CuseFaninVT

Living Legend
On a business trip in Sacramento, CA. Flew out from Vermont the day before through Chicago. I was on the treadmill in the hotel gym watching the rerun sportscenter when the first plane hit. I was back in my room watching when the second plane hit. I thought when I first turned on the TV that I was watching some movie production - it didn't seem real. And then the second plane hit and I knew it was intentional and that it was a terrorist attack.

I flew home two weeks later as scheduled and going through the Chicago airport was just eery. I've never seen it that quiet. I hope I never will again.

rrlbees

2017 ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner
Staff member
I was at the hospital picking my wife up who had had minor surgery the day before.

I had left her in the lobby sitting in a wheelchair and went to get the car. When I returned, she was in tears and staring at the TV. Her sister and sisters husband both worked in the WTC on the 90 something floor for AON (who lost the 2nd or 3rd most people).

They both survived, but we didn't know until 6 that night. Long day at the in-laws.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

BlackKnight76

All American
6th grade, Mrs. Lessin's reading class at Dolan MS in Stamford. A bunch of kids had gotten pulled from school, and none of us knew why until she finally decided that we should know. Our class was one of the only ones to know before the end of the school day. I'm pretty sure we were all quickly ripped from childhood innocence at that moment.

Bayside44

Meeting in the Cannon House Office Building, looked out the window and saw the Pentagon smoke...got the heck out of there. The oddest part was while the Hill was evacuating the people doing labor on local house (painting, cutting grass) kept working away.

edowd26

Hall of Fame
11th grade intro to engineering class. At the moment none of us understood the severity. We heard plane one hit, thought it was accident. Then plane 2, everyone knew then it was something elae. Tower 2 went down, half the school was taken home. I came home after school to my mother crying on the couch watching CNN. I saw ground zero, then I saw people, including children, celebrating the death and destruction. Most surreal and vivid memory I have to this date. Could not believe what I was seeing, sadness turned to anger and there it remains. My deepest condolences to the families who lost loved ones that day

Cuseregular

All American
was home from work awaiting the cable guys to put it all in. They finished right after the first plane hit. We all sat there and watched it in shock and horrible awe. My wife (girlfriend at the time) was right in the heart of it the day before and for all I knew was still there the day of. Couldnt get a hold of her due to the cell phone issues and was freaking out until later that night when we finally connected and found out she was up in Westchester that day). Awesome feeling when we reconnected.

Later on found out that I lost 2 college buds and frat friends. Being from there had other family stories that still cant believe to this day. Divine intervention stuff. One who was supposed to be up in windows on the world but missed her train, another that was on the bottom when the first plane hit.

Watched it unfold in my Syracusea appt. all day and when the first tower fell felt a combination of rage, anger and sadness that I've never felt before or since. GD aweful day.

JoeSU

All Conference
I was at work checking this board, and someone posted that a plane had just hit one of the twin towers. I initially assumed it was an inexperienced pilot flying a small, single engine aircraft. It quickly became apparent that wasn't the case.

Guinness

Hall of Fame
I was living in Richmond and was scheduled on a flight out of Dulles to go to California for work. A last minute change of plans the day before sent me to Radford University down in south west Virginia instead. The plane that was hijacked out of Dulles was American and I flew United so it is not like I was supposed to be on the flight that was hijacked but it still really messed with my head thinking about the what if's.

sabach

All American
I was living in Richmond and was scheduled on a flight out of Dulles to go to California for work. A last minute change of plans the day before sent me to Radford University down in south west Virginia instead. The plane that was hijacked out of Dulles was American and I flew United so it is not like I was supposed to be on the flight that was hijacked but it still really messed with my head thinking about the what if's.
WOW.

sabach

All American
I was heading to work after just getting off vacation the day before. We took the family to Philly on vacation and did all the Independence stuff while there. On the way home (9/10) we decided to use the theme of patriotism for the youth ministry we lead at our church. We had no idea how important love for our country would become the very next day (9/11) and how relevant our choice would become for that season.

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
In the cubicle at work in Syracuse, with only a radio and spotty internet. When the first tower fell, both CNN.com and MSNBC.com went "off the air" due to heavy traffic.

I didn't actually see any of the video until I got home, I stayed up all night flipping through all the news channels. Several nights.

At some point during that day, a pair of F16's took off out of Hancock in full afterburner ... they were definitely going some place in a hurry.

My cousin in NYC was 9 months pregnant, and I was thinking that this would be a really bad day to go into labor.

Toga

Living Legend
On a train to Manhattan for a business meeting. In between the two planes, in Yonkers they gave passengers the option of getting off or going in to the City. I chose the latter and believe we were the last train allowed in.

OttoinGrotto

Professor Irwin Corey
I was in Villa Cabello, a city in the province of Misiones in Argentina. I was a Mormon missionary and had been in Argentina for about a month. My companion (Mormon missionaries are always in groups of two or three. You call the other guys in your group your companion(s).) and I were walking into town from our apartment. Suddenly, a car screeched to a stop in front of us, a man got out, shook our hands and hugged both of us, and knowing that we were likely Americans said that he hoped our families were ok and then drove off distraught. Needless to say, we were confused. On our way into town a few minutes later one of the kids of a family that went to church with us tracked us down and told us to go to his parent's house immediately. We asked him why and he kept saying because "the towers are burning" and that they were worried that my family was harmed, because they knew I was from New York. We were even more confused by the time we got to the house, and when we walked in we looked at the TV and saw both towers burning. I still wasn't sure what was going on, and I asked them what movie they were watching and they told me that this was actually happening. They asked me if my family was in any danger, and I was relieved to tell them that I grew up in the state of New York, not the city, and so I was sure they were ok.

The time after that was kind of interesting, because most of what we understood of things came second hand or was something we overheard on a news broadcast in our second language. For a while a lot of us thought World War III was to follow and we'd be sent home from our missionary service. I regret that I missed the unity that existed in the US that I've heard existed in the aftermath. On the other hand, there was a certain relief in being so far removed from it, both emotionally and geographically.

For a while I believe that my time outside of the country before the event placed me on a watch list. For years I was searched and pulled out of the security line nearly every time I flew.

Eric15

Living Legend
Wasn't there a famous actor (I want to say Mark Wahlberg) that was supposed to be on one of the hijacked flights, but overslept and just missed his flight...

Frozen

All American
Wasn't there a famous actor (I want to say Mark Wahlberg) that was supposed to be on one of the hijacked flights, but overslept and just missed his flight...
Seth McFarlane, creator of Family Guy.

Wahlberg was just running his mouth about how he would have beaten up all the terrorists by himself if he had been on one of those flights.

Faegan

All Conference
I was living on the Upper West Side with my wife. I woke up at about 6:30am and for some reason didn't turn the tv on. Usually I would have had CNBC on, but didn't turn it on until in between the two planes. Later, people that had walked all the way from the financial district that were covered in dust from the collapses were streaming up Columbus ave asking how to get over to Queens/Brooklyn etc. One of my best friends sent out an email asking us all to pray for her brother-in-law, someone I grew up with, who was missing in the second tower. We went to the grocery store to get some food and there had been a complete run on the Pioneer on Columbus ave. All the water was gone, shelves were almost cleared out and people were lined up at nearby cash machines getting out as much as they could. That evening we grilled out on our patio while fighter planes flew over head. My dad asked me if it was a good idea to be outside at all, fearing for snipers or something else like that. Sounds whacky but that was the kind of day it was. My thought was I wasn't going to be afraid to be outside at my own house, and let the chips fall where they may. The guy I grew up with, who was not a close friend but someone I knew for a long time and saw often, was identified by bone fragments about a year later.

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Ian Thorpe, the Australian Olympic swimmer, was in NYC sightseeing that day. He was headed to the WTC when he realized that he forgot his camera, and had to walk back to the hotel.

When he returned to the WTC, it wasn't there anymore.

Ghost

Living Legend
I was on the LIRR from Bayside into the city. I remember my first indication was hearing someone on a cell phone talking about a plane crashing and seeing him looking out the window. At the time I had no idea what was really happening - there was still no indication it was a terrorist attack.

Still went to work on the subway, Penn Station to the S, (I worked at 42nd & 2nd - we got evacuated a lot the next couple of weeks) and it was just a awful/surreal day all-around. Ended up getting in touch with my roomate and met him and another of our friends that lived in Bayside as well, and walked across the 59th street bridge to get back to Queens.

I remember it was near impossible to get a call through at the time, and I don't think I had a cell phone yet because I was using my office phone - or maybe cells weren't working either (honestly don't recall), and when I finally reached my mother she was out of her mind. She didn't know where in the city I was in relation to the towers, and could barely form a cohesive sentence. It was incredily sad - took a lot to calm her down.

orange79

Internet Sleuth
My in-laws were at Newark airport waiting to take a flight out. Obviously, they never made the flight. Nor did they know anything of substance about what had happened - very little info available at the airport. My wife went to go pick them up and somehow talked her way past the machine-gun-armed guards at the entrance to the airport, going to pick up her 'elderly parents'. When she finally found them waiting on the departure sidewalk, my mother-in-law turns around and asks the 1000+ people with them, "anybody need a ride?" My wife's response - "GET IN THE CAR MOM!!!" Also, my sister-in-law left early that morning from Boston (where one of the ill-fated flights originated) bound for Washington. Flight was diverted to another airport and she took a train bound for Washington. Train was diverted before she got there and when she came up out of the ground, she could see the smoke from the Pentagon. She and 3 strangers finally found a car to rent and drove back to Boston. Took them 13 hours.

My most vivid memory of that day was 2 jet fighters screaming in low and hot over Summit, NJ towards the city, armed to the teeth. Something I hope to never see again. Lost 3 friends and a relative of my wife's. Fortunate enough to know several who made it out.

M2MPrinciples

Scout Team
My story's probably not unique in any way, but it's always interesting to hear the stories, especially in a community like this where the connections are so close to what happened.

I was in sophomore year history class. A teacher from across the hall came in to tell our teacher to turn the TV on, that a plane has hit one of the twin towers and they suspect terrorism. It was still early enough in the day that some people on TV suspected it to be a commuter plane, but the picture on the tv came into view just in time to see the second plane hit and there was no mistaking it at that point.

All our classrooms had TVs, so we just went from class to class watching everything happen. It's still so surreal. The thing that sticks out most about the reaction came at the end of the day when we got to chemistry class. The teacher actually tried to teach as usual, not in an attempt to diffuse the situation at all, but I remember her distinctly saying "nothing's happened in a few hours, you're here to learn and I'm here to teach." Even 1500 miles from what was going on, none of us cared one bit about learning chemistry that day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom