Where were you September 11, 2001?

'72 Orange

Starter
So, this is cut and pasted from my cousins facebook page today. She worked for Marsh & McLennan in the human resource department, and only recently had been transferred to the midtown office from WTC. I was going to mention this story in my recounting above, but ended up not. I never knew until she posted this today on her facebook page, that I was one of the few that even knew this story. I know she suffers a lot of guilt, but never knew she kept it a secret. This year on 9/11 she made a cryptic post, and thus finally told her story this morning. Here it is:

" Yes Sheila, I knew sweet Dominique. And yes...I knew she wasn't supposed to be at the WTC that day. Because of me.
Here's my story I've never posted before, but I need to.
We worked together in Human Resources in NYC on 46th/6th Ave midtown. We were responsible for presenting new employee orientations. After my HR piece I spoke about to the new hires that Monday Sept 10, Dominique's part was to get the new hires up and running with their computer systems and explain in that room how to get on email, etc. She would always present right after me. That Monday 9/10, the new hire group happened to be about 15 young tech/IT department employees who would be working in the North Tower on the 99th floor (our other location). They all met me at 9am on Sept 10 on 46th/6th in our main office bldg. And because they were IT people, I knew they needed more than the general email, basic instruction set up shpiel. I called Dominique and said "please don't come today to the midtown office for your presentation. Instead, please go downtown at 9am tomorrow 9/11 to the North tower on 99th floor and work by their stations so you can be more hands on with this more computer savvy group." We talked and she told me about her fiancé and how excited she was to see him after a trip he took-- and that she wasn't sure she'd be able to go to the mtg on Tuesday 9/11. I told her this would be the easiest way to answer their advanced computer questions by being at their desks downtown. She agreed and told me to tell the new employees to meet her tomorrow (9/11) at 9am at WTC for computer orientation information.
I know that I couldn't have known what was to be Dominique's fate. But, it haunts me to this day and I've spent the last 16 years carrying the guilt that I played a part in the fact that she is no longer with us.
I think of Dominique all the time. I visited her memorial at the WTC museum at Ground Zero and prayed. She was a very sweet and smart woman.
Many of my co workers also did not survive that tragic day"

And that is her story, plus she also felt guilty about the 15 new hires who she had all ready to start their first day on the job that fateful day, and the fact that they also perished. My cousin ended leaving that job shortly after. She really could not deal with the guilt. She is in general a really put together person, and you would not know that she deals with this still to this day...
I could not imagine having to carry this burden around inside of you all these years. Hopefully she has/is still receiving therapy to help realize that in no way is this her fault.

HoustonCuse

Hall of Fame
I could not imagine having to carry this burden around inside of you all these years. Hopefully she has/is still receiving therapy to help realize that in no way is this her fault.
I'm thinking not just the person she asked to report there, but the 15 others she spent the whole day prepping to go work there. Plus, if I understood her job role correctly, she must have processed dozens of others who were in the building throughout her time there as well.

4evaOrange

Anna Kendricks boyfriend.
Just a documentary of the children on 9/11 and all those who lost parents and how they have grown up and remembered them.

That was difficult.

Delmar

All Conference
Three years ago I took a delegation of Ghanaians to NYC. I would not have gone to ground zero myself, but they wanted to go. I was very impressed. The two pools in the footprint of the buildings are done remarkably well. We didn't visit the museum because we didn't have the time, but we really didn't need to. I was amazed at how simple, powerful, (and at least for me) healing the design is.

ssbriefcase

All American
This is the most moving thread in the history of the board imo. So many of you directly/indirectly affected by this. Every year when I see it, I think of all the stories on here, and I tell my friends and coworkers about them. God bless everyone and their families that this tragedy touched.

rrlbees

2017 ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner
Staff member
This is the most moving thread in the history of the board imo. So many of you directly/indirectly affected by this. Every year when I see it, I think of all the stories on here, and I tell my friends and coworkers about them. God bless everyone and their families that this tragedy touched.
I have a love/hate relationship with this thread.

HOFCeluck

The worms are their money
At some point I’ll watch the clips of the live broadcast on YouTube as has been my custom. The reactions on air as the second plane hits are more chilling than anything I’ve ever seen.

Roger N

Beer: Ask your Doctor If It's Right For you
I just remembered the fighter jets circling overhead in Newark NJ. Like, what else is gonna happen

I knew 50,000 people worked in the twin towers and I was fearing 20,000 dead. My eyes are watering as I write this.

IthacaMatt

Living Legend
I for one was in my 8th grade social studies class at Huntington middle school, during second period. I remember some other teacher cAme in our room and whispered something to our teacher and left, then she came back later and said something else. And our teacher paused and then tOld us what had happened, and then throughout the day it was some fire alarms and we were outside for a while, and when the day was over and I got home I realized the magnitude of what happened because it was on just about every channel...

I was at home on my livingroom couch, reading the Sunday NY Times looking for a new job. I had just accepted a buy-out from my prior job the Friday before 9/11, which happened on a Tuesday morning. I lived-posted what I was seeing on all the local NYC channels (NBC affiliate, national, MSNBC and CNBC kind of gave them mass coverage).

Many people who were working and had no access to live images (remember, nobody had smart phones), were responding to the thread, as people tried to figure out what was happening.

My most vivid memory of that awful morning was that I saw the second tower fall on the TV screen behind the two news anchors before their producer could tell them what was happening.

One of my dear friends was a professor at Pace University. She and her husband used to live in Staten Island and take the ferry, where she would walk to work, and he would take the subway into Brooklyn, where he worked as an attorney. She was one of the victims caught in all the debris from the building collapse. She and her husband moved to Albany within a few months, and then wound up getting divorced.

IthacaMatt

Living Legend
Wasn't there a famous actor (I want to say Mark Wahlberg) that was supposed to be on one of the hijacked flights, but overslept and just missed his flight...

I have a story like that. A woman who used to work for me when I was down in NYC had a brother who was studying furniture design in Switzerland. He was supposed to be on a flight home from Zurich that went down. Fortunately for everyone, he got halfway to the airport and realized he forgot his passport, turned around and went home to get it, missing the flight that crashed.

His family didn't know, and found out the plane had gone down while they were at the airport to pick him up. The father is a now-retired judge in Syracuse, and used his government connections to get the list of passengers who actually boarded the flight, and found out about 6 hours afterwards that their son had missed the flight and survived. Must have been absolute hell on them all.

I don't think the son was aware right away that the prior flight had crashed, so he hadn't called his parents to tell them he was OK; he just tried to get on another flight.

CuseFaninVT

Living Legend
Yesterday was an odd day for me. I traveled from Burlington to Seattle yesterday and it felt way too much like it did when I traveled to Sacramento in 2001. The whole cross country thing, on a Monday, just like 17 years ago. Very strange feeling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom