Where were you September 11, 2001?

SUFaninNJ

All American
I was about 20 blocks from Ground Zero and pretty much all I saw was a deep blue cloudless sky. But I've never watched any shows or retrospectives of that day. Not a one.
My wife works in the City ans is the same way.

Zelda Zonk

Hollywood Liberal Elite Globalist
I was living in NYC on 34th Street. That day, i was supposed to accompany my good friend and some of her friends and family on her father's boat around the tip of manhattan, to scatter the ashes of her father who had passed away earlier in the summer. I had just awakened that morning when she called me and told me to turn on the television. I immediately saw the plane hit the first tower, and i asked her what was happening. It was very a very confusing first few moments, and when the second plane hit, i thought it was a replay of the first.

I sat there dumbstruck, watching every news channel i could find. And then the towers started falling. I went to my roof with a video camera and filmed the second tower falling. A few of my neighbors came up, and no one said a word.

Found out later that one of our doormen lost his son, but i didn't know anyone directly who died. A good friend was working in a building that got destroyed, but he was uninjured. He does still need therapy, though.

For the next six years, though, whenever i caught sight of an airplane in the sky–mostly while sitting in my apartment—i was compelled to watch it until it was out of sight (and safe).

A telling thing, though: (generalizing) in NYC, we had nothing but compassion for our islamic neighbors/citizens. But, in the red/nascar states, where they probably have very few, that's where all the hate crimes and vandalism happened. Ironic, also, that the people in the places no terrorist would give a damn about 'bombing' are the people who have the most hate for muslims. Ironic again — 'liberal hollywood' is quite responsible for continuing to fan those flames of hate, with it's sensationalism in depictions of terrorism in tv and cinema. "Liberal mainstream media."

br801

Living Legend
I was about 20 blocks from Ground Zero and pretty much all I saw was a deep blue cloudless sky. But I've never watched any shows or retrospectives of that day. Not a one.
I watch some of the shows each year, usually the ones on History Channel. They serve as reminder to me, and as the years pass and this day seems to get less and less media attention, I find them oddly comforting.

I was in Midtown that day and everything just seemed so surreal, all of us watching the television coverage of what was happening just a few miles away (and in DC and PA), not knowing what would happen next or when everything would be over, or what would be the fate of friends and family who were in or around the towers. I will never forget seeing the cloud of smoke and dust and ash eventually become visible above the skyline, nor the almost incessant sounds of sirens, or that nearly everyone that day could only speak in stunned whispers.

Last edited:

rrlbees

2017 ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner
Staff member
Watching any video of 9/11 is horrifying and heart breaking. But it’s audio that gets me even more because you can “hear” the human side vs video of a plane and building.

This is the audio that was the most bothersome and was released shortly after. Be warned, it’s not easy to listen to, especially his last few words while watching the tower.

OrangeFoo

All Conference
Watching any video of 9/11 is horrifying and heart breaking. But it’s audio that gets me even more because you can “hear” the human side vs video of a plane and building.

This is the audio that was the most bothersome and was released shortly after. Be warned, it’s not easy to listen to, especially his last few words while watching the tower.

Damn the pic I just posted was seemingly taken from almost the same spot as this video but 17 years later... Across the river in Brooklyn

4evaOrange

Anna Kendricks boyfriend.
Thank you for bringing this thread back around every year and for everyone's stories. May all who died that day and all who were impacted never be forgotten. Peace.
Like to see people reflect and remember. I watched some news stories from that day and watched the annual reading of the victims at ground zero as well. I think it’s good for people to look back but I also know for some people they can’t cause of memories I just hope they one day share whether it be here or elsewhere but it could help them.

br801

Living Legend
Like to see people reflect and remember. I watched some news stories from that day and watched the annual reading of the victims at ground zero as well. I think it’s good for people to look back but I also know for some people they can’t cause of memories I just hope they one day share whether it be here or elsewhere but it could help them.
No matter where one was that day, it's such a deeply personal topic and everyone just needs to share as much or as little as they feel is appropriate for them, IMO.

CuseCPT

All Conference
I was sleeping in, it was the last morning before I was supposed to ship to Fort Benning for basic training on 9/12. My mom woke me up to tell me a plane hit the WTC and I fell back asleep. When she came back to tell me a second plane had hit, I remember thinking that maybe a navigation beacon at one of airports was malfunctioning. When I got downstairs reports about something hitting the Pentagon were filtering in and it started to become apparent what was really happening.

My ship date was delayed until planes started flying again. Being a trainee at Fort Benning in September of 2001 was pretty strange because we had very little access to the outside world. I remember talking with another guy that was going to OCS with me about volunteering to stay enlisted if they needed more infantry. Mostly, though, we just worried about what the next training event was and not pissing off the drill sergeants.

At some point during training, the company commander called us together which is pretty weird since the officers have little interaction with trainees other than a pep talk at the beginning and at graduation. He told us that we had initiated operations in Afghanistan. We cheered wildly.

E: Looking back it must have been really hard for mom sending me off to the Army in those circumstances, but to her credit she didn't show it. She knew I was exactly where I wanted to be.

4evaOrange

I was sleeping in, it was the last morning before I was supposed to ship to Fort Benning for basic training on 9/12. My mom woke me up to tell me a plane hit the WTC and I fell back asleep. When she came back to tell me a second plane had hit, I remember thinking that maybe a navigation beacon at one of airports was malfunctioning. When I got downstairs reports about something hitting the Pentagon were filtering in and it started to become apparent what was really happening.

My ship date was delayed until planes started flying again. Being a trainee at Fort Benning in September of 2001 was pretty strange because we had very little access to the outside world. I remember talking with another guy that was going to OCS with me about volunteering to stay enlisted if they needed more infantry. Mostly, though, we just worried about what the next training event was and not pissing off the drill sergeants.

At some point during training, the company commander called us together which is pretty weird since the officers have little interaction with trainees other than a pep talk at the beginning and at graduation. He told us that we had initiated operations in Afghanistan. We cheered wildly.

E: Looking back it must have been really hard for mom sending me off to the Army in those circumstances, but to her credit she didn't show it. She knew I was exactly where I wanted to be.
Thanks for sharing.

Symphony Steve

All Conference
I was working for the Delaware State Senate. We were crafting a nursing home reform package, and we had a huge bill-drafting session at Buena Vista, which is a quasi-public retreat where working groups often meet.

When we heard the news, we cut the session short. I remember driving back to my office at the Carvel State Office Building in Wilmington, only to discover that everybody had been sent home for the day. I then went to pick up my kids at school, but the principal said that, while I was welcome to take them home, he felt that the school community was a real good place for them. I agreed and headed home.

What struck me the most then was the sheer volume of traffic headed, where, exactly? It totally reminded me of the people fleeing the 'airborne toxic event' in Don DeLillo's 'White Noise'.

weedsportwarriors

All Conference
A little sad story. One of the guys who taught me everything I know about firematics when I was a volunteer fireman in Weedsport before joining the military just pasted away on August 29th from Cancer. He was the under Sherriff for Cayuga County during 9/11 and volunteered to go to ground zero to help in the aftermath. As a result, it was determined that is what caused his cancer. His name is Steve McLoud, here a link if anyone wants to read and see the pictures from his service at Weedsport High School. He was a great guy and was always giving back to the community as a Sherriff and as a Volunteer Fireman. I went to school with his sister and worked with her at the Weedsport Big M growing up. Another one of the good guys who left too early.

'Forever grateful': Dedication of former Cayuga County undersheriff celebrated at funeral

OburgOrange

All American
I was working in a state prison as a teacher. A correction officer pulled me out of my room and led me to an office which had a tv on and the unfolding events. We were all stunned. I watched for a bit and went back to my room.
Eventually, word spread like wildfire through the school building. Inmates have a way of finding out things.
The mood in my room became really somber ( the majority of state inmates are from NYC). A few became very upset and agitated. They had relatives who worked in the buildings.
Then something startling took place. Some of these big, gruff, gang bangers began to console the ones who were clearly upset. It was something I never thought I would see, showing compassion to each other, when on a normal day, it is just the opposite.
The atmosphere in the prison was definitely different in the following weeks and months.

Roger N

Beer: Ask your Doctor If It's Right For you
I have to pay my estimated taxes today. Kinda makes it easier. So many memories as it happened right out my window. I was on the 9th floor of an apartment building on Mt. Prospect Ave in Newark, N.J. and the World Trade Center seemed right out my window.

Watching people jump from the Towers.
Hearing fighter jets overhead wondering what was next.
Seeing a photo of a dead fireman's little boy at his funeral, wearing his father's dress cap and looking so bewildered.

Going into Manhattan on the weekend seeing every lamp post plastered with circulars all saying "Have you seen my Dad?"

As I said in previous posts on this thread I knew that 50,000 people worked in the towers and I and a friend in the press feared 20,000 dead. Another memory I have is a photo of the Jersey Transit parking lot in Middletown, NJ taken at midnight showing the parking lot with dozens of cars. Haunting

Have to pay "Uncle" now.

Faegan

All Conference
In my post from September 2012 about my day on 9/11/01, I shared about a friend that had sent an email on that day asking us all to pray for her brother in law, someone I knew from my hometown, who was missing in the second tower. He was gone, and she had to move home from Colorado to support her sister and her 4 children in the aftermath. She was so struck by the love and support her family received that she started an organization that could provide similar support to others going through difficult times. She has built it up over the years, and she was recently honored by Mike Rowe in his facebook watch program "Returning the Favor." I'm clearly biased - she's been a friend since 4th grade and she's married to one of the first friends I ever had - but I think It's well worth your time to watch it. It's nice to see how someone took a horrible national and personal tragedy and created something positive that continues to bring help and healing to others.

Last edited:

4evaOrange

In my post from September 2012 about my day on 9/11/01, I shared about a friend that had sent an email on that day asking us all to pray for her brother in law, someone I knew from my hometown, who was missing in the second tower. He was gone, and she had to move home from Colorado to support her sister and her 4 children in the aftermath. She was so struck by the love and support her family received that she started an organization that could provide similar to support to others going through difficult times. She has built it up over the years, and she was recently honored by Mike Rowe in his facebook watch program "Returning the Favor." I'm clearly biased - she's been a friend since 4th grade and she's married to one of the first friends I ever had - but I think It's well worth your time to watch it. It's nice to see how someone took a horrible national and personal tragedy and created something positive that continues to bring help and healing to others.

In--credible.

So amazing!

4evaOrange

bballbeadle

I’m a girl!
I have to pay my estimated taxes today. Kinda makes it easier. So many memories as it happened right out my window. I was on the 9th floor of an apartment building on Mt. Prospect Ave in Newark, N.J. and the World Trade Center seemed right out my window.

Watching people jump from the Towers.
Hearing fighter jets overhead wondering what was next.
Seeing a photo of a dead fireman's little boy at his funeral, wearing his father's dress cap and looking so bewildered.

Going into Manhattan on the weekend seeing every lamp post plastered with circulars all saying "Have you seen my Dad?"

As I said in previous posts on this thread I knew that 50,000 people worked in the towers and I and a friend in the press feared 20,000 dead. Another memory I have is a photo of the Jersey Transit parking lot in Middletown, NJ taken at midnight showing the parking lot with dozens of cars. Haunting

Have to pay "Uncle" now.
Have you had any long-term reactions to seeing all of this? I can only imagine what that was like. Thanks for your memory.

Roger N

Beer: Ask your Doctor If It's Right For you
Have you had any long-term reactions to seeing all of this? I can only imagine what that was like. Thanks for your memory.
Yeah, I do. For instance when I walk up Broadway from 34th Street I can still see all the circulars jammed on the lamp posts "Have you see my Dad?" A friend's wife's father died that day. I think of his car in the NJ Transit parking lot at Middletown. NJ I also just re-watched the Budweiser commercial showing the team of Clydesdales kneeling toward the site. Very moving.

The worst, is seeing a man and a woman, hand in hand jumping from the Towers. I just can't imagine doing that. Having to bust out the window and jump instead of being roasted alive. That's my worst memory.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom