Where were you September 11, 2001?

Cuseregular

All American
Yeah, I do. For instance when I walk up Broadway from 34th Street I can still see all the circulars jammed on the lamp posts "Have you see my Dad?" A friend's wife's father died that day. I think of his car in the NJ Transit parking lot at Middletown. NJ I also just re-watched the Budweiser commercial showing the team of Clydesdales kneeling toward the site. Very moving.

The worst, is seeing a man and a woman, hand in hand jumping from the Towers. I just can't imagine doing that. Having to bust out the window and jump instead of being roasted alive. That's my worst memory.
God awful Roger, I hope someday soon that that memory fades more and more each day for you. Hope to see you Saturday and we will hoist a drink together with all those in mind you've mentioned.

weedsportwarriors

All Conference
In my post from September 2012 about my day on 9/11/01, I shared about a friend that had sent an email on that day asking us all to pray for her brother in law, someone I knew from my hometown, who was missing in the second tower. He was gone, and she had to move home from Colorado to support her sister and her 4 children in the aftermath. She was so struck by the love and support her family received that she started an organization that could provide similar support to others going through difficult times. She has built it up over the years, and she was recently honored by Mike Rowe in his facebook watch program "Returning the Favor." I'm clearly biased - she's been a friend since 4th grade and she's married to one of the first friends I ever had - but I think It's well worth your time to watch it. It's nice to see how someone took a horrible national and personal tragedy and created something positive that continues to bring help and healing to others.

I wish I could like this 100 times.

bballbeadle

I’m a girl!
Yeah, I do. For instance when I walk up Broadway from 34th Street I can still see all the circulars jammed on the lamp posts "Have you see my Dad?" A friend's wife's father died that day. I think of his car in the NJ Transit parking lot at Middletown. NJ I also just re-watched the Budweiser commercial showing the team of Clydesdales kneeling toward the site. Very moving.

The worst, is seeing a man and a woman, hand in hand jumping from the Towers. I just can't imagine doing that. Having to bust out the window and jump instead of being roasted alive. That's my worst memory.
I am sorry. I have a nephew who served and he was shot in Afghanistan. Although that was bad, he has PTSD from taking care of other people while he was a medic in the service. Witnessing other people’s wounds and suffering was worse than enduring his own.

I hope you have been able to find a peaceful way to handle that memory. Again, so sorry for that pain.

OttoMets

Living Legend
This article always gets me (though honestly, you all have experiences that are right up there with this): The Real Heroes Are Dead

Me, I've got not a lot to share. I was a total turd of a college freshman who had gone out the night before and most definitely was sleeping through my 8:20 Tuesday class but for some other kids on my dorm who woke me up to put the news on (I guess my 13" TV was better than what they had). It was surreal, obviously. My roommate's mother worked in the Financial District and he spent a very stressful day trying to reach her (she was OK). Despite having a ton of friends and family in the area, I've got no personal experience with losses. My cousin's an ironworker who was on the job at one of those residential towers in Battery Park City that morning. He was OK as well.

My uncle worked in the Pentagon and was in the building that morning. He was in a meeting in an inner ring opposite the crash and was able to evacuate smoothly. My aunt, coincidentally, was on her way to my cousin's elementary school to drop off the birthday cupcakes he'd forgotten (his birthday's September 11). I guess some or all of Fairfax County's schools went on lockdown after the Pentagon was hit. So this was how she first heard the news, shut out of her son's school and informed that her husband's office had been hit by an airplane. Must have been incomprehensibly stressful for her (it sticks in my head that neither had cell availability). For my uncle, he'd been in Mogadishu during the Black Hawk incident in 1993 so I guess he'd had some experience in ugly situations.

SWC75

Bored Historian
Reviewing the thread there are so many images that stick out from the stories:

Roger N describing a man and a woman jumping, hand in hand from the burning WTC.

Forza Azzurri being in the train below the WTC and the doors wouldn't open because "there's a fire above us".

Shenexon describing "The Dark Side of FEMA".

OrangeZoo talking about a cousin who had witnessed Pearl Harbor in 1941 and this seventy years later.

rrlbees talking about his sister-in-law who was told to stay in the South Tower after the North Tower was hit but she ignored that order and saved her life.

Kaiser UEO giving food and water -as well as paper towels - to "the walking dead" coming uptown from the site.

Zelda Zonk, who was to participate in a ceremony scattering ashes over the river that day watching a plane fly over the city and being relieved when it passed all the buildings and disappeared into a cloud.

Tee122 punching a stop sign with all his might to release his anger for a moment.

Mountaincuse and his friend doing the same with golf balls at a driving range.

llandz waiting the three seconds for the trade confirmation that never came. Her friend who did nothing wrong, blaming herself for all these years for sending her associate to the WTC to teach about the computers.

Delmar being on the phone praying with a church member when word came that her son was OK - the quickest response form God she ever got.

Patticuse calling her college roommate who could do nothing but scream.

72orange describing the cars in the parking lot of the train station that sat there for days before he realized that their owners would not be coming back.

Bballbeadle describing the various reactions of her psychotherapy patients, some of whom talked about 9/11 before their problems, some of whom only talked about their problems and some of whom never showed up.

OgensburgOrange describing how the hard-boiled prison gang-bangers comforted each other as they watched the TV coverage.

Cheri-hoop talking about how all the young men in her son's school wanted to march right out and enlist to fight the people who did this. The school had to lock the doors to prevent them for doing so.

Looking at my post, I note that i forgot to mention an important detail from my emotional reaction to it. I believe I suffered from 'anhedonia': Definition of Anhedonia Maybe you did, too. Everything was gray. No experience had any color to it. I tried listening to my favorite music, watching my favorite TV shows and movies, reading my favorite books. I had no reaction to them. Food didn't taste good.

I had a touch of this last Saturday when SU's horrible performance against Maryland crushed our hopes of being undefeated for Clemson and getting GameDay as well as our new image of being "back". That lasted the rest of the day and made watching college football an unrewarding activity. 9/11, of course was on a totally different level and lasted for weeks and impacted all activities. Ironically, what began to bring me out of it was SU football and watching Dwight Freeney destroy Auburn. It was the first time I'd actually cared about anything since that awful day.

By the way, my former co-worker who was battling leukemia and had to make that march through the floating debris finally died last year after nearly a 20 year battle with the disease and almost constant medical treatments. He was an amazing guy. There were a lot of amazing people that day.

Last edited:

sutomcat

Former Iggy Winner. I used to be somebody special
Staff member
I for one was in my 8th grade social studies class at Huntington middle school, during second period. I remember some other teacher cAme in our room and whispered something to our teacher and left, then she came back later and said something else. And our teacher paused and then tOld us what had happened, and then throughout the day it was some fire alarms and we were outside for a while, and when the day was over and I got home I realized the magnitude of what happened because it was on just about every channel...
I moved this thread to the football board per a special request because of the date. Sorry it didn't get moved until the day after...

kcsu

Hall of Fame
I was fishing with the executive producer of road to the super bowl by the covered bridge in Vail Village. Another friend who passed on the morning fishing yelled down from my place that we needed to get back inside.
There was a world cycling event going on in Vail and people in town from many countries. They closed the Eisenhower tunnel and the pass. We stayed in Vail until flights were allowed a few days later. My friends and i lost some very dear friends that day.

Grabberorang

Walk On
I found out it was happening from an old version of this board. I was in college. Was getting up for a class and per my routine i checked the syracuse board for my recruiting news fix. A poster said a plane had hit and then turned on to watch the second plane hit live on tv. Went to class a little late..professor cancelled the class.

PAcuse

All Conference
I was walking in to open my Waldenbooks and saw the guys at RadioShak had all the TVs on with the news. Stopped and talked to them and they thought it was just a small plane that flew into the towers.
I went and opened the store and waited till the other folks came in and went off to a golf tournament that day and didn't know what was fully going on until after the event.

care taker

Finally a starter
I heard it on Howard stern than I went into a building with no cell service I thought it wasn’t serious until end of day I walked into a customers house and it was all over the news I felt like an idiot I had no real clue for 7 hrs .
My nephew was waiting at the elevators at World Trade Center heading up to windows of world where he worked the plane hit he ran out into a taxi and back to NJ a miracle for him

4evaOrange

Anna Kendricks boyfriend.
I heard it on Howard stern than I went into a building with no cell service I thought it wasn’t serious until end of day I walked into a customers house and it was all over the news I felt like an idiot I had no real clue for 7 hrs .
My nephew was waiting at the elevators at World Trade Center heading up to windows of world where he worked the plane hit he ran out into a taxi and back to NJ a miracle for him
Damn.

I was sitting at my desk at work on W. 35th street in manhattan. I was a fairly recent grad so didnt have a window (or an office). I was alerted to it starting by my mom who called me from Boston. She was a massive worrier, so when she said "are you ok? a plane crashed in manhattan" I was dubious it really even happened, and assumed if it did it was a news chopper or something. Regardless, I brushed it off as I knew I was still standing there and thus "ok". That prompted me to open CNN.com and then my own personal world changed forever. A few minutes later the office (it was a small 15 person company) gathered in a conference room and we talked for a few minutes about what to do. It was decided everyone could leave, but that the owner would stay as long as needed until the last person felt that they were ok to go. I couldnt get my wife on the phone who was working at her office about 20 blocks north and east. Phones were completely utterly jammed, and the internet wasnt much better. So I just started walking. Hoping I would connect with her before she decided to go somewhere.

We lived in Astoria, Queens. Everything was shut down. No cars could get in or out of Manhattan. No subway service. Lockdown. Bridges were open to pedestrians only, and even that only happened after they felt confident that the airspace had been secured. Our only way home was to walk the 6 miles. Not a crazy distance, but it just felt so surreal given the sea of humanity flooding out of the city with us.

Eventually I arrived at my wife's office only minutes before she was about to start walking herself. We started walking with 2 of her co-workers. One who lived an un walkable distance in NJ, and was coming to spend the night with us, and another who lived in Long Island (no idea how far but I remember she split off at one point and just kept walking...I think she was hoping to get a taxi not too long after but i really cant recall).

The next day, my office called and said stay home. I think on Thursday they made it optional to come in and on Friday it was effectively a normalish day at the office. I'll never forget one thing. I worked developing communications collateral at the time for a medical education company and part of what i did involved going to the NYU Medical library and pulling research. That Friday I walked over there. And the hundreds and hundreds of missing persons flyers on the walls and fences outside NYU hospital was stunning and incredibly emotional.

storange

All Conference
I was teaching 8th grade Social Studies at the new Case Middle School in Watertown NY. The Home Econ. teacher came in my room and told me that the twin towers had been attacked. We turned on our classroom TVs and watched. We thought we were a target with Ft. Drum near by and there were wild rumors going around. I had three young kids two in elementary and one in Day Care. I just wanted to get to 2:45 so I could pick them up and get home. If something was to happen I wanted to be with them. I had to coach a girls varsity soccer game the next day. Never was I so completely disinterested in an event.

OHIORANGES

Scout Team
I was at the Cincinnati airport for a flight to Chicago & then on to Beijing. First tower had been hit & mass confusion in the terminal. We eventually started boarding & then the second tower was hit.
We deboarded & the terminal was totally quite. You could have heard a pin drop. People were crying & all airline personnel were totally confused. Many thought we were at war. I watched for maybe a half hour and then left and drove home. I don’t think I’ve ever been more depressed. A totally empty feeling.

rrlbees

2017 ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner
Staff member
I’m going to repost the most haunting audio I had heard. The ending is so sad and surreal. Click below.

4evaOrange

I’m going to repost the most haunting audio I had heard. The ending is so sad and surreal. Click below.

Chills.

After listening to this I can’t help but think what all the 911 emergency operators went through. Devastating.

omg_cuse_rules

Fair weather fan
Liverpool high school, 11th grade math. Some slackers heard it on their radio, decided to share. Nobody in class believed it until we saw a live TV feed after school.
Had to go to my after school job at Eckerd on old Liverpool road. No customers that afternoon. I assume most people were glued to their TVs.

Cuseman78

All Conference
At the time, fellow board member and I KingOtto were fresh out of SU (Class of 2000) and were roommates living in Jersey City, working in the City. KO worked in WTC Building 5 which was a smaller building right outside the Towers and I had started on Sept 4th at my new company which was located on Broad St (near the NYSE). That particular AM, we happened to commute in together on the PATH train which terminated in Manhattan in the bottom of the World Trade Center.

The PATH train is about a 5 min train ride from Jersey City to WTC. We walked off the PATH train around 855 am, which means we were literally on the PATH train as the first plane hit. As he walked off the train, we were greeted there by a bit of smoke inside the WTC, and cops yelling at the commuters to get the hell out of the building. As we hustled out the Church street entrance, we noticed a huge crowd gathered on the other side of Church St, all of them looking up (many sobbing).

As we looked up, we obviously saw the horror that was the fire on the upper floors. After standing there in horror and awe for a couple of minutes trying to comprehend what we were witnessing, we started to see people leaping from those upper floors. Obviously, one of the worst things I've ever seen in my life.

We stood there for a few minutes longer trying to compute exactly what was happening (we had no idea at the time a plane was involved) until we heard a gigantic boom and fireball, which was Tower 2 being struck. Because it came from the West and we were on the east side of the building, we had no idea that it was in fact a passenger plane. Our instinct was simply to run -- which we did, right across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Once in Brooklyn, we simply wandered aimlessly as there was no way to communicate (cell phones didnt work for hours that morning). An hour or two later, we noticed that people were arriving in Brooklyn ash-covered. At that point, as word gathered, we were informed that the Towers had fallen.

We ended up finally get in contact with KO's father hours later who was working construction at the time in Queens. He picked us up about 3pm that afternoon as we drove back from Brooklyn over the Verrazzano Bridge and back eventually to Central Jersey. As we looked back as we crossed the Bridge, we knew things had changed forever. Just one of the most surreal days of my life.

4evaOrange

At the time, fellow board member and I KingOtto were fresh out of SU (Class of 2000) and were roommates living in Jersey City, working in the City. KO worked in WTC Building 5 which was a smaller building right outside the Towers and I had started on Sept 4th at my new company which was located on Broad St (near the NYSE). That particular AM, we happened to commute in together on the PATH train which terminated in Manhattan in the bottom of the World Trade Center.

The PATH train is about a 5 min train ride from Jersey City to WTC. We walked off the PATH train around 855 am, which means we were literally on the PATH train as the first plane hit. As he walked off the train, we were greeted there by a bit of smoke inside the WTC, and cops yelling at the commuters to get the hell out of the building. As we hustled out the Church street entrance, we noticed a huge crowd gathered on the other side of Church St, all of them looking up (many sobbing).

As we looked up, we obviously saw the horror that was the fire on the upper floors. After standing there in horror and awe for a couple of minutes trying to comprehend what we were witnessing, we started to see people leaping from those upper floors. Obviously, one of the worst things I've ever seen in my life.

We stood there for a few minutes longer trying to compute exactly what was happening (we had no idea at the time a plane was involved) until we heard a gigantic boom and fireball, which was Tower 2 being struck. Because it came from the West and we were on the east side of the building, we had no idea that it was in fact a passenger plane. Our instinct was simply to run -- which we did, right across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Once in Brooklyn, we simply wandered aimlessly as there was no way to communicate (cell phones didnt work for hours that morning). An hour or two later, we noticed that people were arriving in Brooklyn ash-covered. At that point, as word gathered, we were informed that the Towers had fallen.

We ended up finally get in contact with KO's father hours later who was working construction at the time in Queens. He picked us up about 3pm that afternoon as we drove back from Brooklyn over the Verrazzano Bridge and back eventually to Central Jersey. As we looked back as we crossed the Bridge, we knew things had changed forever. Just one of the most surreal days of my life.
Holy ****.

Glad you guys made it safely out.

Cuseman78

All Conference
Holy ****.

Glad you guys made it safely out.
Yea it was pretty surreal stuff. Seriously, very thankful that we happened to commute in together. We never did, but I think one of us woke up late due to the Broncos<>Giants Monday Night Football game the night before.

SUFaninNJ

All American
The Giants playing on MNF, the first day of school, and there being an election that day kept a lot of people from being in the towers that morning. Those three seemingly innocuous things saved many lives.

CuseMan4

2nd String
I was only in 1st grade at the time but remember vividly getting taken out of school by my mom. I was confused because I only got out of school for doctors appointments and dentist appointments so I asked my teacher if I was coming back to school. I remember walking out of the school with my mom asking if I had an appointment and she said “no, we are going back home” don’t remember anymore of the convo but I remember being home and watching the second tower fall over the shoulder of my mom as she was sitting in the living room chair. She was crying and very emotional (obviously) but that’s all I remember from the day.

However I have a much older second cousin that worked in the south tower. He was a boss and was in the building when the north tower got hit. One of his workers saw the plane hit and started having a panic attack. He went to the lobby downstairs with the lady and outside briefly to try and get some fresh air. They were literally just about to head back up to their office when the second plane hit their building (security was telling everyone to stay in the south tower, that it was safe). My cousin worked in the impact zone and surely wouldn’t have made it out as everyone in his unit that was in office that day didn’t make it except for him and that lady. He and his wife lived right across the water in NJ and his wife was watching the whole thing from NJ, not on TV but was literally watching it unfold in person across the waterway. She saw both buildings collapse and was a wreck understandably so. Her family and his family were with her, they thought my cousin was gone, they couldn’t get ahold of him. He didn’t make it back to the house until late that night and walked in to a bunch of the family at the house helping his wife and parents. Surreal scene every-time they tell the story. He walked in covered in some dust and had some rips and tears in his suit, still has the suit, cleaned now but still has the rips and tears. He was incredibly lucky and he lost a lot of friends and coworkers that day as many did, just happy he made it out.

OttoMets

Living Legend

First, that's an impressive story. Second, as an aside, it's funny how this thread reveals surprising biographical information about posters - based on your name I always assumed you were some middle-aged guy who graduated in '78 rather than someone in my generation who apparently was born in '78.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom