Which of these 3 things would | Syracusefan.com

Which of these 3 things would

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
have given SU its best chance at a ring:

1) Healthy AO
2) Eligible Fab
3) This year's Trevor on last year's team.

I'm going with 1, just because I think that was our best team since 2003. Also the most fun to watch. So unselfish, so many shooters, and big men with actual, legitimate post moves and the ability to score the ball inside.

AO is probably the most likely,

but if Fab had been playing, I think he does enough to prevent Sullinger from taking over the game and beating us by himself in the second half which puts us back in the FF.

As to Cooney last year, if he shot like he did last night in the Michigan game it would have made a difference, but otherwise, I think his impact would have been the most minimal, as Triche and MCW were completely in sync during that tourney run.

Wow that's a good question. I think any of those three things happening results in a NC or at least a FF (and cements JB as the best of all time). But that AO team was ridiculous until he got hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Definitely a healthy AO.

With the way that OSU game was called, Fab would have been in foul trouble the whole game. And while it gave us another body, there's no guarantee we beat OSU with Fab. BMK played really good that game.

This year's Trevor wouldn't have mattered much I don't think last year. MCW and Triche we're gonna get the majority of the minutes no matter what (I know they both fouled out vs. Michigan though); but Triche, Southerland, and Fair (and MCW to an extent) were all more than capable 3pt threats. Honestly I'd say the way our big men look so far this year, they would have helped more on last year's team.

i dont think we're beating kentucky even with a healthy fab in 2012, but we would have got to the championship game.

healthy AO we were the best team in the country, no doubt about it.

I'd go with 1 then 3. Kentuckys 2012 team was probably going to win that sucker. As much as that pains me to say.

4) Uconn's 2011 path.
If we had the 2010, 2012 or 2013 team in 2011 we probably make it to the Final Four at least. But that 2011 team just wasn't that good.

4) Refs that didn't hose Triche on horrible charging calls late in the game because they feel they need more attention.

I think having a healthy AO would have made us the odds-on favorite. He was just starting to "get it" and be our best offensive post player since Rony Seikaly.

Last edited:
All of the above could have resulted in championships, plus a thousand other things.

Oklahoma State played Memphis twice this year (just ten days apart), the first time Smart scored thirty-nine points and Oklahoma State wins by twenty, the second time Smart scores twelve and Memphis wins by five. Fans like to pretend that the winning team always plays superior basketball, but most of the time a very fine line separates winning and losing - even when the margin of victory is large.

Any of the things you mentioned could have changed the outcome of any of the tournaments. So could any number of other factors.

People look back on the 10-11 team with a little bit of disappointment, but if the officials had not called an incorrect over and back penalty against Syracuse late, they do not lose to Marquette, and there is a legit chance that team wins it all. That was one of the worst years in college basketball history and Syracuse had somewhere around a 50% chance or better in every game they would have played. How differently people think and talk about that team in that scenario.

Here are a few more interesting what-if scenarios.

What if Billy Owens returned for his senior year? You never hear anybody mention this possibility but the year after Owens left, Moten arrived, and immediately emerged as a star, averaging 18 ppg as a freshman. If Owens had stayed you are looking at a team of Ellis, Owens, Johnson, Moten, Autrey. That's a championship team if I have ever seen it. If my memory is correct, only seven players have averaged 20ppg under Boeheim, and that team would have had three of them playing at the same time (Moten, Ownes, Johnson) plus a star point guard (smart enough to become a coach) to get them the ball in the right spots, and a center drafted to the NBA. I would have loved to see that team play.

What if Dante Greene returned for his sophomore year? Syracuse was somewhere around the 10th best team in the country the year after Greene left. Pretty good. But their best and most played line up was Flynn, Devendorf, Rautins, Harris, Onuaku, pretty much four guards and a center. That team had no height and real trouble defending because of it. Greene would have been one of the better players in the country that year (not many 6'10 shooters around with his athletic abilities). He would have made a team that was already very good offensively maybe the best offensive team Syracuse has ever had, and his length and athleticism would have masked a lot of defensive holes. I always guessed Boeheim planned on Greene being a two year guy. The only problem with this what-if scenario, is the fact that North Carolina had an absolute juggernaut that year, and as good as Syracuse would have been, they still might have finished second to UNC. Would have loved to see that match up though.

What if Lazarus Sims had not gotten hurt against Kentucky? Syracuse lost the '96 national championship to a Kentucky team that had a crazy amount of guys drafted to the NBA (I want to say 9). They were clearly the better team, but in a one game scenario anything can happen. What did happen was Syracuse was down by a couple points in the second half but making a huge charge. They had all the momentum on their side when Sims (the team's only point guard) got hurt. That Kentucky team (coached by Piteno) used their waves and waves of NBA talent to press the whole game. Imagine playing Louisvilled this year and having Ennis get hurt . . . it would be kind of like that, but worse. Sims did come back after a few minutes on the bench, but by the time he did Kentucky had given themselves a comfortable lead. Had Sims not gotten hurt Syracuse might very well have won that game. I also wonder what would have happened if Rock Lloyd were still on that team and could have played point when Sims went down.

What if the NBA did not have a work stoppage in '11 and Fab did not get suspended in '12. Syracuse went something like 28-1 with Fab Melo in their line up. Imagine that team in a tournament where Kentucky did not have Jones and Lamb, Ohio St. did not have Sullinger, and UNC did not have Henson and Barnes because they all went pro the year before!

What if Smart missed that shot? Okay I know this is a stupid one, but honestly, how many times do you see a guy hit a jump shot while falling out of bounds towards the baseline? Especially a guy who isn't even a good shooter.

Of course this works the other way too . . . what if Winfred Walton was not an academic bust and played like the McDonal'd All American he was? Would Carmelo Anthony still have come here? My guess is no.

Last edited:
1 we were clearly the best team in the country that year.

Arinze. We were just better than everyone else with him, and our bracket was a good one.

Losing Fab hurt, but our offense had really deteriorated by that stage. I think he'd have helped us beat Ohio State, but Kansas would have matched up well against us and been favored in the semifinal.

47% Cooney wouldn't have started on last year's team even if he'd been this good. Triche would still have gotten a lot of minutes and Cooney's impact would have been limited by that. The Michigan game could have turned out differently, but a somewhat improved offense would probably not have gotten us past Louisville (Pitino's discovery of the two-bigs lineup with Harrell and Dieng was problematic for our defense).

All of the above could have resulted in championships, plus a thousand other things.

Oklahoma State played Memphis twice this year (just ten days apart), the first time Smart scored thirty-nine points and Oklahoma State wins by twenty, the second time Smart scores twelve and Memphis wins by five. Fans like to pretend that the winning team always plays superior basketball, but most of the time a very fine line separates winning and losing - even when the margin of victory is large.

Any of the things you mentioned could have changed the outcome of any of the tournaments. So could any number of other factors.

People look back on the 10-11 team with a little bit of disappointment, but if the officials had not called an incorrect over and back penalty against Syracuse late, they do not lose to Marquette, and there is a legit chance that team wins it all. That was one of the worst years in college basketball history and Syracuse had somewhere around a 50% chance or better in every game they would have played. How differently people think and talk about that team in that scenario.

Here are a few more interesting what-if scenarios.

What if Billy Owens returned for his senior year? You never hear anybody mention this possibility but the year after Owens left, Moten arrived, and immediately emerged as a star, averaging 18 ppg as a freshman. If Owens had stayed you are looking at a team of Ellis, Owens, Johnson, Moten, Autrey. That's a championship team if I have ever seen it. If my memory is correct, only seven players have averaged 20ppg under Boeheim, and that team would have had three of them playing at the same time (Moten, Ownes, Johnson) plus a star point guard (smart enough to become a coach) to get them the ball in the right spots, and a center drafted to the NBA. I would have loved to see that team play.

What if Dante Greene returned for his sophomore year? Syracuse was somewhere around the 10th best team in the country the year after Greene left. Pretty good. But their best and most played line up was Flynn, Devendorf, Rautins, Harris, Onuaku, pretty much four guards and a center. That team had no height and real trouble defending because of it. Greene would have been one of the better players in the country that year (not many 6'10 shooters around with his athletic abilities). He would have made a team that was already very good offensively maybe the best offensive team Syracuse has ever had, and his length and athleticism would have masked a lot of defensive holes. I always guessed Boeheim planned on Greene being a two year guy. The only problem with this what-if scenario, is the fact that North Carolina had an absolute juggernaut that year, and as good as Syracuse would have been, they still might have finished second to UNC. Would have loved to see that match up though.

What if Lazarus Sims had not gotten hurt against Kentucky? Syracuse lost the '96 national championship to a Kentucky team that had a crazy amount of guys drafted to the NBA (I want to say 9). They were clearly the better team, but in a one game scenario anything can happen. What did happen was Syracuse was down by a couple points in the second half but making a huge charge. They had all the momentum on their side when Sims (the team's only point guard) got hurt. That Kentucky team (coached by Piteno) used their waves and waves of NBA talent to press the whole game. Imagine playing Louisvilled this year and having Ennis get hurt . . . it would be kind of like that, but worse. Sims did come back after a few minutes on the bench, but by the time he did Kentucky had given themselves a comfortable lead. Had Sims not gotten hurt Syracuse might very well have won that game. I also wonder what would have happened if Rock Lloyd were still on that team and could have played point when Sims went down.

What if the NBA did not have a work stoppage in '11 and Fab did not get suspended in '12. Syracuse went something like 28-1 with Fab Melo in their line up. Imagine that team in a tournament where Kentucky did not have Jones and Lamb, Ohio St. did not have Sullinger, and UNC did not have Henson and Barnes because they all went pro the year before!

What if Smart missed that shot? Okay I know this is a stupid one, but honestly, how many times do you see a guy hit a jump shot while falling out of bounds towards the baseline? Especially a guy who isn't even a good shooter.

Of course this works the other way too . . . what if Winfred Walton was not an academic bust and played like the McDonal'd All American he was? Would Carmelo Anthony still have come here? My guess is no.

People underrated our 2011 team. We were inconsistent, but there were a lot of good pieces and we played quite well at times. Got boned with that draw; never should have played Marquette in a subregional. And the ref blew the game. (As did Marquette's ability to shut down Rick Jackson.)

Ellis was gone in 1992, but Conrad McRae and Dave Siock were good enough. I don't know about what-ifs with those 1988-1991 teams, though - extremely talented, but not the most focused.

If the refs had called the 1996 game properly and Z hadn't gotten tackled, I think we had a 50/50 shot to win that game. Seconds before Wallace fouled out, Sims had an open lane to him under the hoop. A layup would have cut the deficit to 2. Z made a bad pass, it got stolen, Wallace fouled the guy. Did the hurt wrist affect the pass? We'll never know.

Hands down #1, that was our year and if we had AO, we win it all...

1) Healthy AO
2) Eligible Fab

Healthy AO. Because we were the best team that year. We were better than Butler and Duke.

I think we beat Ohio State with Fab, and I think we have a good chance to get to the final and a shot to beat Kentucky. Not sure we were better than UK though.

Trevor would've never had a chance to be like this, on last years team. Even if he shot better, his role still would've been limited, as he would've came off the bench and MCW and Triche would've played most of the guard minutes no matter what.

Wait...why? They were like 7 years apart.

1) Healthy AO
2) Eligible Fab

4) little more stevie thompson and less howard triche

Same order they're listed in OP. 2010 AO > 2012 Fab > "new" Cooney

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom