Which pop-cultural phenomena have you skipped? | Syracusefan.com

Which pop-cultural phenomena have you skipped?

donniesyracuse

Hall of Fame
Recently, I have encountered people declaring that they have never seen any of the Star Wars films. In which significant aspects of pop-culture have you not participated?

Here are a few of mine:

I have never watched an entire Will Smith film.

I have never watched an entire James Bond film, although I did play GoldenEye 007 for Nintendo 64.

Harry Potter.

LOTR.

Friday the 13th / Halloween / Nightmare on Elm St.
Yes, I have also skipped Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. I have unfortunately, seen some of the other films you have mentioned. I would say that the originals of each are fine, but the few sequels I have seen are terrible.

The slasher genre never really appealed to me ... yet I watch the Walking Dead.

I've never really gotten into Bond. I like a few of the movies well enough, but I just never really got all the hype.

Oh: I've never seen a single episode of The Sopranos or Mad Men, either.

To those that haven't watched any of the Godfathers, The Sopranos, or Mad Men, you are really missing out. Tastes in films and television shows are obviously subjective, but I cannot imagine how anyone could not enjoy them.

jekelish said:

You really should watch both shows. Mad Men takes about 3 episodes to get into. It's very slow moving sometimes, but it's my Netflix go to when I'm bored. I've watched the whole series several times.

But to stay on topic, I never got into Harry Potter. I've seen all the movies but never really paid attention when I was watching them.

Recently, I have encountered people declaring that they have never seen any of the Star Wars films. In which significant aspects of pop-culture have you not participated?

Here are a few of mine:

I have never watched an entire Will Smith film.

I have never watched an entire James Bond film, although I did play GoldenEye 007 for Nintendo 64.
Twitter
Instagram
98% of reality TV
99% of things (excluding sports) which require more than 42 minutes of my undivided attention
100% of Kardashians

Sopranos had a mediocre season or 2 towards the end, but it was still great. Really a must see show.

Godfather trilogy
Harry Potter
Fargo (movie and tv)

If I was rich, I would pay people to watch Godfathers I and II. I could start a grant. It would be a public service.The masses would be less content with television shows and films.

Yes, I have also skipped Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. I have unfortunately, seen some of the other films you have mentioned. I would say that the originals of each are fine, but the few sequels I have seen are terrible.

I skipped Harry Potter until Deathly Hallows Part 1, at which time I had to watch all of the films with my kids so I could catch up. I was immediately hooked!

Most of the stuff I skipped was TV related: Friends, Seinfeld, Lost. Seinfeld I watched in syndication and freakin love it, but I was not in on any of the pop culture references when Seinfeld was running and popular. Never watched an episode of Lost. Don't care too. And Friends? Meh.

I think Independence Day and Enemy of the State are the only two Will Smith movies I liked...and the one where he was time hopping in Louisiana? Everything else was crap. MIB? Have still never seen it all the way through, even though I love Tommy Lee Jones.

I guess I can count Big Bang Theory as another. I saw T-shirts on vacation a few years back that said "Bazinga" on them. I had no clue what that was.

And I pretty much checked out on the Obama Presidency. Does that count? ;)

Harry Potter
Twitter
All reality TV except Top Chef

Zombies. I just don't get it.

Go flog yourself with barbed wire and say 44 Hail Mary's, you Rebel scum. ;)

It's not about the Zombies. It's the social commentary the films represent. Not all zombie films are good. But the George Romero films are typically very well done. The original "Night of..." and "Dawn of..." had great characters and solid stories. And The Walking Dead is very much story and character driven and less about the walkers. Kirkman was inspired by Romero's films. The campy zombie films are just about the kills and gore and not much else. I classify them with crap like Friday the 13th part 3, 4, 5, 6...

Harry Potter
Twitter
All reality TV except Top Chef

Yep. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. F the Kardashians and the "Real" housewives. The best reality TV was over a decade ago with the first few seasons of The Real World and Survivor. But I do like other shows like Billy The Exterminator, Gator Boys (there's one for JoeCollege to jump on), and similar shows. The Turtle Man is also good fun. That guy is nuts. Going after skunks with your hands? Seriously? Pawn Stars was good early on until they became a parody of themselves.

I loved the Japanese version of Iron Chef. Morimoto was the man! But does that qualify as reality TV? That was more like a pre-casted game show.

CuseCPT said:
Godfather trilogy Harry Potter Fargo (movie and tv)
Ok please watch both iterations of fargo

Any zombie/vampire related show or movie (WD, Twilight, etc...)
Godfather, Sopranos and most other (non-comedy) mobster shows/movies
Star Wars and Star Trek (post Return of Jedi)
UFC
Fantasy world movies/shows (LOTR, GOT)
American Idol

Anything with zombies, vampires, or wearwolves. Not interested.

Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Hunger Games...don't care about any of that.

Go flog yourself with barbed wire and say 44 Hail Mary's, you Rebel scum. ;)

It's not about the Zombies. It's the social commentary the films represent. Not all zombie films are good. But the George Romero films are typically very well done. The original "Night of..." and "Dawn of..." had great characters and solid stories. And The Walking Dead is very much story and character driven and less about the walkers. Kirkman was inspired by Romero's films. The campy zombie films are just about the kills and gore and not much else. I classify them with crap like Friday the 13th part 3, 4, 5, 6...
when my eyes read this, I hear blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Harry Potter.

LOTR.

Friday the 13th / Halloween / Nightmare on Elm St.

My list almost mirrors yours exactly plus I agree with RF on reality shows. I watched the first few season of Survivor but haven't watched any "reality" in years.