Which recruit was paid the most? What program is the dirtiest? | Syracusefan.com

Which recruit was paid the most? What program is the dirtiest?

orangenauburn

2023 Cali Award Average Attendance
In the history of college basketball, which player do you feel got paid the most to go to a program?

Which program do you feel has been the dirtiest?

Anthony Davis has to be up there. And right now, the dirtiest has to be Duke. They buy 3 or 4 guys every year and nobody bats an eye. Of all time, I would go with Kentucky, because there is a culture of cheating there like no other.

There were rumors that Walter Berry got $100k coming out of JUCO.
Chris Duhon's mom got a job @40-50k per year, as I recall (search online for the Times Picayune article, which the NCAA forgot to read)
Billy Owens had a nice SUV at SU
Charles Barkley said he took a pay cut going to the NBA ;)

Anthony Davis has to be up there. And right now, the dirtiest has to be Duke. They buy 3 or 4 guys every year and nobody bats an eye. Of all time, I would go with Kentucky, because there is a culture of cheating there like no other.
I have been told by a few different well-connected AAU guy that Kentucky and Duke don’t need to pay for recruits their brand is that strong but other schools do

I have been told by a few different well-connected AAU guy that Kentucky and Duke don’t need to pay for recruits their brand is that strong but other schools do
My understanding was that UK was absolutely paying players, but then didn't have to after establishing the narrative. It took years though. And, there is no way Duke isn’t paying players. When Kansas is willing to pay, but a kid chooses Duke over them, it is foolish, and I am not saying you are foolish, to think that they aren't matching that price.

Last edited:
UCLA during the Wooden years. Sam Gilbert says hello.
I think it is supply and demand. There are more players with money now. And by players I mean programs. That means that they have to pay more to beat the competition.

This reminds me of a quote attributed to Chuck Aleksinis (?) on why he left UK and transferred to UConn: "I knew it was time to leave when a booster told me 'You're being payed too much to play that badly'".

Sam Bowie got $150k at Kentucky in the late '70s.

So I'm guessing there have been some bigger numbers thrown at other guys.

It's almost never the school. It's the boosters and the shoe companies.

Im sure cash is involved but even if I give the benefit of doubt to Duke that they don’t give money I do know something fishy is happening.

I know the neighborhood that Zion’s, Barrett’s, Bagley’s, etc parents lived in and they are multimillion dollar houses and in the drive way was a few hundred grand in vehicles.

These neighborhoods are also apart of exclusive HOAs that are hard to get into.

naz reid probably got some solid dough from lsu if the 4 star guy was getting $150k from wade

Jeff Ruland /Iona , Kevin Durant/Texas and Marcus Camby/UMass. Everyone wanted those 3 and it makes you reach for an antacid. Biggest cheater of all time was Jackie Sherrill, but in hoops it was either Bobbie Cremins or Tark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom