Who are we? | Syracusefan.com

Who are we?

Nicknack

All Conference
I think most of us, while our eyes were closed, understood Baber's vision for this program when he took over. He confidently told us how much time it typically takes to install the "fast" offense and most of us patiently waited (while also being treated with some good wins and one great year). Most of us were also excited about the direction we were heading, but now, who the hell are we? What is the offensive approach? What is his vision? What is his plan to get better talent? Truly, is there a plan?

I will continue to support the team and root for success (always will). However, I just don't see how Babers can turn things around at this point. He can't seem to recruit, we've regressed as a program under his leadership, and have no identity as a program. I have serious concerns that he can really sell his vision to anyone anymore (whatever that vision is).

It’s freaking obvious, unlike some no context quick shots of sideline interaction, what the team’s identity is this year.

if you don’t know what it is by this point , I don’t know what to tell you

I think most of us, while our eyes were closed, understood Baber's vision for this program when he took over. He confidently told us how much time it typically takes to install the "fast" offense and most of us patiently waited (while also being treated with some good wins and one great year). Most of us were also excited about the direction we were heading, but now, who the hell are we? What is the offensive approach? What is his vision? What is his plan to get better talent? Truly, is there a plan?

I will continue to support the team and root for success (always will). However, I just don't see how Babers can turn things around at this point. He can't seem to recruit, we've regressed as a program under his leadership, and have no identity as a program. I have serious concerns that he can really sell his vision to anyone anymore (whatever that vision is).
It is called if life gives you lemons you need to try to make lemonade.

Like every other coach here, they realize the challenges are huge (not insurmountable), but huge and more than expected which will require a much different approach than what they were thinking otherwise would be necessary.

Though I’ve lost some faith in him in the sense I am certainly not happy with some of his game day decisions, I am more interested in the consistency in the program than replacing him, I think he’ll be adequate in keeping us competitive and soon in the top 25.

I am heartened by him having the horse sense to pick the right qb and still think we’re gonna be on the right side of .500 this year. It won’t be what he thought nor what many of us have hoped for but I think in the big picture long term perspective it’ll end up be being more success than failure.

Last edited:
It’s freaking obvious, unlike some no context quick shots of sideline interaction, what the team’s identity is this year.

if you don’t know what it is by this point , I don’t know what to tell you
It's more that I'm really disappointed. It appeared that we had a solid coach with a vision and was committed to seeing it through. Now, it's just all over the place.

We‘ve not regressed as a program under Dino. He’s recruiting about as well as anyone since P. Our starting QB is a transfer from an SEC school.

The Baylor O is figured out. Tempo requires quick reads and if those things get figured out, you’re stuck.

I‘m encouraged by his ability to shift defensive and offensive play style to try to stay competitive

We‘ve not regressed as a program under Dino. He’s recruiting about as well as anyone since P. Our starting QB is a transfer from an SEC school.

The Baylor O is figured out. Tempo requires quick reads and if those things get figured out, you’re stuck.

I‘m encouraged by his ability to shift defensive and offensive play style to try to stay competitive
Numbers don't lie.

2016: 4-8
2017: 4-8
2018: 10-3
2019: 5-7
2020: 1-10

That's regression, not sure how you can claim it's not. Now, if he can get things going again, great... we will all be happy about that. However, we've gone backward the last two years (regression).

Numbers don't lie.

That's regression, not sure how you can claim it's not. Now, if he can get things going again, great... we will all be happy about that. However, we've gone backward the last two years (regression).
Oh, I see you’re not giving him credit for the peak

I was thinking since he’s been here. 1-10 is lame to take seriously.

Numbers don't lie.

Would you feel better if 2018 was, let’s say, 8-5, and 2019 was let’s say 6-6 or 7-6? Because that’s pretty close to accurate. The 2018 team overachieved a little. The 2019 underachieved a little. 16 and 17 were just wiping the slate clean, and I think anyone could see his different SU was playing. Losing your starting QB repeatedly has a way of neutralizing that. Then there’s 2020. Say what you want about last year, we will probably never agree.

The drop since the peak has been frustrating. But, I’m very interested to see where this season goes.

They’ve got to be better at some things. That being said, I have seen some encouraging things for the road ahead too.

Right now I think we are trying to keep the house from crumbling, we have 2 1/2 pillars to keep the foundation set and those are Sean Tucker and Tony White. I'll give the 1/2 to GS as he is the style QB we need to run this offense behind a mediocre line.

I love Dino as many do on here and lets be honest our expectations are low for a P5 team, all the guys has to do is make a bowl every year and we as a fan base are ecstatic.

So to your original question we are a run heavy offense that relies on our D to keep us in games. We can't win shootouts and are doing what we can with our bottom of the ACC recruiting class and 3 star players.

Weird stat from this year. In our 2 losses, we've outgained the opponent each time. Last year we were outgained in all 11 games, badly. Closest one was Georgia Tech, who outgained us by 96 yards.

If you outgain and lose it's typically because of turnovers or special teams. In our case, I'd say mostly specials, they need to improve for a team like ours.

Here we go with the “last season doesn’t count” narrative again…

If we were 10-1 it would have counted, I’m sure.
Nope. We’d all love it for a bit and then someone would say “yeah, but”

I'm encouraged by the coaches adapting rather than trying to cram a square peg into a round hole. This offense isn't what Dino envisioned because we don't have the QB to run it. TD didn't work out like everyone hoped and Shrader isn't the kind of QB that's gonna sling it everywhere. There were hopeful signs this weekend. We need to build on those while trying to recruit/develop our personnel to get where we want. This can still be a solid year.

Last edited:
Would you feel better if 2018 was, let’s say, 8-5, and 2019 was let’s say 6-6 or 7-6? Because that’s pretty close to accurate. The 2018 team overachieved a little. The 2019 underachieved a little. 16 and 17 were just wiping the slate clean, and I think anyone could see his different SU was playing. Losing your starting QB repeatedly has a way of neutralizing that. Then there’s 2020. Say what you want about last year, we will probably never agree.
It's not about feeling better and why in the earth would I want our team to EVER have less wins? Makes zero sense. I'm just stating facts while you're using creative thinking.

To the OP, do you at least like the defense? Gets some pressures, good group of young LBs, CBs who make plays. Aggressive.

As for the offense, “identity” does not matter to me. Can the QB make plays? Can we run the ball with speed and power? Can the OL get some push, open some holes, give the QB some time? Shrader gives this offense a chance, and we have one of the better RBs in the country. Time to stop whining.

I think the announcers answered who we are at FSU. (Offense) When asking Norvell how do you prepare for Cuse? The answer was "They have a great running back" , not scheme, or anything like that. Two words. "Running Back. " We are Sean Tucker. OITNT.

Nice to see Shraders improvising.

Weird stat from this year. In our 2 losses, we've outgained the opponent each time. Last year we were outgained in all 11 games, badly. Closest one was Georgia Tech, who outgained us by 96 yards.

If you outgain and lose it's typically because of turnovers or special teams. In our case, I'd say mostly specials, they need to improve for a team like ours.
Third down.

Third down.

True, but if you're outgaining, then you're probably stopping as many 3rd downs as your missing on offense.

I know most are good with the 4th and 2 call early on the 20, but I hope we start taking the points there (and actually making the FG).

A one yard punt (tough spot for a brand new punter, I understand), a missed XP, a missed 4th down, and a botched attempt for 3 at halftime. That's a 14 point swing. Doesn't all lie at the feet of special teams. They didn't get a chance for 6 of those points.

We're playing a better QB this week, but if we get after him like we did Travis, we won't have to worry about similar escape tricks.

True, but if you're outgaining, then you're probably stopping as many 3rd downs as your missing on offense.

I know most are good with the 4th and 2 call early on the 20, but I hope we start taking the points there (and actually making the FG).

A one yard punt (tough spot for a brand new punter, I understand), a missed XP, a missed 4th down, and a botched attempt for 3 at halftime. That's a 14 point swing. Doesn't all lie at the feet of special teams. They didn't get a chance for 6 of those points.

We're playing a better QB this week, but if we get after him like we did Travis, we won't have to worry about similar escape tricks.

It seems like coaches are now overdoing it on 4th down everywhere but just my 2 cents. I don't mind going for it ever but you have to live with it.

Just like any other gamble that wins or loses.

It seems like coaches are now overdoing it on 4th down everywhere but just my 2 cents. I don't mind going for it ever but you have to live with it.

Just like any other gamble that wins or loses.

I like going for it on 4th down. But sometimes I just think there's a smarter play.

35 yard line, sure. Odds of making the FG are much less. Even 30 yard line. But it was 20, middle of the field, down 3-0, just tie the game.

I guess also because I didn't have any confidence in the offense to convert that on the road at that point in the game.

Less than 20% both games.

single biggest problem with the offense. Get that figured out and find a way to run 10 more plays a game and this is a good team. Unless you are connecting on a high percentage of your very limited pass attempts, or hitting on a couple of really deep balls, or dominating special teams and gaining a lot of hidden yardage, running 63 plays a game is not good enough.

I like going for it on 4th down. But sometimes I just think there's a smarter play.

35 yard line, sure. Odds of making the FG are much less. Even 30 yard line. But it was 20, middle of the field, down 3-0, just tie the game.

I guess also because I didn't have any confidence in the offense to convert that on the road at that point in the game.

I wanted the 3 points as well. I Agree, thought He could have been a bit better on the play call too. I hate handing the ball off like that, would have rather seen something that made an over aggressive D pay that early in the game

We just got far younger and more able at the most important position on the field. So, there's that...

Specials have been an issue this year -- we've been the opposite of "special."

Lustig's departure has hurt us more than probably expected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom