Crossovers
UVA-Pitt
VPI-BC
Wake-SU
Ga.Tech-Duke
UNC-Louisville
Miami-FSU
NCSU-Clemson

It would get FSU, Clemson, Tech ALL TOGETHER each year. Protect cross-division rivalries with the other division for each FSU-Miami, Ga. Tech-Duke, Clemson-NCSU. It would guarantee the four NC schools playing a true robin against each other every year.
Virginia would be playing its riv@ls in UNC, VPI, Duke.
VPI keeps its rivalry with Miami, UVA.
Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Boston College would have a nice three way rivalry.
Plus with 4 NC schools in 1 division the odds that each team would play atleast 1 NC school each year are roughly the same and you would have cross-over games, and every two years you definitely would play a NC school with a 4 in 7 chance.

Division 1
Duke
Miami
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Division 2
Boston College
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Syracuse

Crossovers
UVA-Pitt
VPI-BC
Wake-SU
Tech-Duke
UNC-Louisville
Miami-FSU
NCSU-Clemson

It would get FSU, Clemson, Tech ALL TOGETHER each year. Protect cross-division rivalries with the other division for each FSU-Miami, Tech-Duke, Clemson-NCSU. It would guarantee the four NC schools playing a true robin against each other every year.
Virginia would be playing its in UNC, VPI, Duke.
Plus with 4 NC schools in 1 division the odds that each team would play atleast 1 NC school each year are roughly the same and you would have cross-over games, and every two years you definitely would play a NC school with a 4 in 7 chance.
We should complain about them. Clemson, FSU, GTech and Louisville all in our football division? Brutal.

I like it.

Our Division would be the dominant one.

What a great yearly schedule!

Sell out the Dome!

We should complain about them. Clemson, FSU, GTech and Louisville all in our football division? Brutal.

Well, we already have FSU, Clemson and Louisville, so swapping GT for Nc State isn't so bad. At a minimum, I would expect that to happen anyway.

Give Pitt the Wake crossover, I'll take UVA please.

With these divisions the ACC could have its own rivalry week without the SEC matchups if they wanted to do so.
Virginia-Virginia Tech
Duke-Wake Forest
NC State-North Carolina
Miami-Florida State
Boston College-Syracuse
Georgia Tech-Clemson
Pittsburgh-Louisville

Division 1
Duke
Miami
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Division 2
Boston College
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Syracuse

Crossovers
UVA-Pitt
VPI-BC
Wake-SU
Ga.Tech-Duke
UNC-Louisville
Miami-FSU
NCSU-Clemson

It would get FSU, Clemson, Tech ALL TOGETHER each year. Protect cross-division rivalries with the other division for each FSU-Miami,
Ga. Tech-Duke, Clemson-NCSU. It would guarantee the four NC schools playing a true robin against each other every year.

That alignment might work, but, for one thing...one of the demands from the 2003 expansion was that the four NC schools be split up. I don't see the rest of the league changing their stance on that.

Not bad. Would rather have a cross-over that's sexier than Wake but with that brutal division schedule we need a crossover we can win. Text it off to Swofford.

I like either of these setups even though the 1st probably isn't realistic with Miami and Florida State in 1 division:

(A)Miami------------------------------------------Virginia Tech
Florida State----------------------------------Georgia Tech
Duke------------------------------------------North Carolina
Wake Forest----------------------------------NC State
Boston College-------------------------------Virginia
Louisville-------------------------------------Clemson
Syracuse-------------------------------------Pittsburgh

(B)Florida State------------------------------Miami
Clemson----------------------------------Virginia
Georgia Tech-----------------------------Virginia Tech
Duke--------------------------------------North Carolina
NC State----------------------------------Wake Forest
Pittsburgh--------------------------------Louisville
Syracuse----------------------------------Boston College

CROSS OVER ACROSS FROM EACH OTHER IN DIVISIONAL STRUCTURE.

I like either of these setups even though the 1st probably isn't realistic with Miami and Florida State in 1 division:

Wake Forest------------------------------Duke
NC State----------------------------------North Carolina

Florida State has to play Clemson, Miami(Fl) in any arrangement
Clemson has to play NC State, Georgia Tech, Florida State in any arrangement
North Carolina has to play Virginia, NC State, Duke in any arrangement
NC State has to play North Carolina, Clemson in any arrangement
Virginia has to play Virginia Tech and North Carolina in any arrangement
Virginia Tech has to play Virginia, Miami(Fl)
Georgia Tech has to play Duke, Clemson in any arrangement.
Duke has to play Virginia, North Carolina
Miami(Fl) has to play Florida State, Virginia Tech
Wake needs to play NC schools
Louisville, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Boston College have no power to demand anything.

BTW I didn't realize Georgia Tech-Duke was important until talking with Georgia Tech fans, but it matters.

My sources are telling me the ACC office is trying to get Georgia Tech with Florida State without changing Louisville for Georgia Tech. When you realignment divisions your own way remember these games above must be preserved.

Wake Forest------------------------------Duke
NC State----------------------------------North Carolina

Tech-Duke has been played for 80 straight seasons (1933-2012). Unless they're in ther same division, they'll be crossover opponents.

VPI and Clemson will ask to be each other's permanent crossover opponent.

In the short term, I am betting that the divisions will stay as they are. UVA probably isn't real thrilled about Louisville being their crossover game, but, I think they'd come around. Especially if UL beats them in Charlottesville a couple of times.

Louisville, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Boston College have no power to demand anything.

BTW I didn't realize Georgia Tech-Duke was important until talking with Georgia Tech fans, but it matters.

My sources are telling me the ACC office is trying to get Georgia Tech with Florida State without changing Louisville for Georgia Tech. When you realignment divisions your own way remember these games above must be preserved.

florida state would rather play Georgia tech yearly than Clemson if they had to choose. and I did have most of them preserved especially in option b

Tech-Duke has been played for 80 straight seasons (1933-2012). Unless they're in ther same division, they'll be crossover opponents.

VPI and Clemson will ask to be each other's permanent crossover opponent.

In the short term, I am betting that the divisions will stay as they are. UVA probably isn't real thrilled about Louisville being their crossover game, but, I think they'd come around. Especially if UL beats them in Charlottesville a couple of times.

most Virginia tech fans I see on the net would rather player Georgia tech yearly over clemson

what id expect for divisional changes is Pittsburgh and Georgia tech for boston college and someone else

florida state would rather play Georgia tech yearly than Clemson if they had to choose. and I did have most of them preserved especially in option b
Your B was good, but I am just reporting what I know about ACC rivalries. FSU has more history with Clemson than Georgia Tech. Tech is a lot closer for FSU fans and Atlanta has tons of FSU alums, but go back to the Deion Sanders days at FSU they have played Clemson, and Florida State-Clemson is probably the best current ACC game in the conference. You did a good job with the Louisville for Georgia Tech swap, but need to have Duke-Georgia Tech. I didn't realize Tech values that game as much as they do. I just think the 4 NC schools 2 VA schools and Miami is by far the best job the ACC can do.

Preserving those rivalries/traditions is important to the ACC. Always has been. Being able to schedule fellow league members as OOC games would help resolve some of the concerns they all have about scheduling other league members more, a la Tech-FSU, UNC-Wake, State-Duke, Clemson-VPI.

Funny how no one has to play Wake Forest. They've been in the ACC forever, and they have no ironclad rival?

most Virginia tech fans I see on the net would rather player Georgia tech yearly over clemson

Thats a bit surprising. I'd always heard Clemson would be their choice as a crossover. But, I am assuming thats if the current divisions hold together.

That alignment might work, but, for one thing...one of the demands from the 2003 expansion was that the four NC schools be split up. I don't see the rest of the league changing their stance on that.

The main reason for that is that the non-NC schools don't want to be in a division with four NC teams. UVa and VT would probably be OK with it, but to answer the original question:

Miami

Swapping GT for NC State could work though. The protected rivalries would presumably become:

Clemson-NCSt
Duke-GT
UNC-Wake

Funny how no one has to play Wake Forest. They've been in the ACC forever, and they have no ironclad rival?

For those not from NC, or, who don't live here...

NCSU-Wake used to be a bitter rivalry, until Wake Forest University moved from the town of Wake Forest, to Winston-Salem, in 1956. Wake Forest is a small town in Wake County, of which Raleigh is the county seat (and state capital). Rivalries are driven by proximity and familiarity, and, those two being in the same county made it pretty intense.

WFU moving two hours away to the Triad area, from the Triangle, has hurt them more than many imagined. They're basically an outlier to Carolina, State, and, Duke, now.

Just a little history surrounding Wake-NCSU...when I was growing up, NC observed Easter Monday as its official state Easter holiday, as opposed to Good Friday. And, that was because Wake and State used to play a baseball game on that day, and, the state gave its employees the day off, so they could attend it.

I think the divisions stay as they are. FSU may want GATech but it's hard to find a GATech official that wants FSU over what they have now. Sure, they'd like to add FSU to their current mix, but FSU is not a priority for GATech and they aren't willing to give up one of their prime choices for FSU.

Many FSU fans will pretend there is a rivalry with GATech, but it wasn't much of a rivalry. Their best argument is that they are close to each other.

I'd like to see BC and Pitt switch but from a balance between the divisions perspective, the change should not happen, especially with Louisville coming in for Maryland.

One way to make the GATech switch balance the power would be to switch with Louisville, but then you run into the issues listed above.

The one word I think of when I think of Wake Forest is "sedate". I was on their campus a year ago and I would describe it with the same adjective. Nice. Sedate.

When I moved to RTP (many a moon ago) and looked at some houses in Wake Forest, I was shocked to find out that Wake Forest wasn't in Wake Forest.

I think the divisions stay as they are. FSU may want GATech but it's hard to find a GATech official that wants FSU over what they have now. Sure, they'd like to add FSU to their current mix, but FSU is not a priority for GATech and they aren't willing to give up one of their prime choices for FSU.

Many FSU fans will pretend there is a rivalry with GATech, but it wasn't much of a rivalry. Their best argument is that they are close to each other.
Who's says that they'd have to give up "one of their prime choices.

I suspect that Clemson, FSU & GA Tech want to be in the same division. Couple FSU with Miami, GA Tech with Duke and Clemson with whichever remaining school they'd like, and that's where it ends. Once Louisville joins, that's the way it is until/unless ND goes all-in.

For those not from NC, or, who don't live here...

NCSU-Wake used to be a bitter rivalry, until Wake Forest University moved from the town of Wake Forest, to Winston-Salem, in 1956.

Whoa, I never knew that a major school moved 2 hours away as recently as that.

Syracuse to Manhattan is just 250 miles. Hmmmm...

;)

Division 1
Duke
Miami
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Division 2
Boston College
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Syracuse

Crossovers
UVA-Pitt
VPI-BC
Wake-SU
Ga.Tech-Duke
UNC-Louisville
Miami-FSU
NCSU-Clemson

It would get FSU, Clemson, Tech ALL TOGETHER each year. Protect cross-division rivalries with the other division for each FSU-Miami, Ga. Tech-Duke, Clemson-NCSU. It would guarantee the four NC schools playing a true robin against each other every year.

The ACC will never have divisions, however they seem to be drawn, that replicate the great imbalance that was the Big 12, with the South being much more sexy and filled with talent to recruit than the North.

Your Division 1 is restricted to 3 states, with FL being shared and Miami having impact in only a fraction of the state. Your Division 2 has the 2 largest football fan bases and 5 of the 6 schools with the most football history, one of which is GT, and GA produces far more talent than NC and VA combined.

Those divisions would lead to internal resentments that would explode eventually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom