Who got 'pipped' under JB? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Who got 'pipped' under JB?

1995-96: Marius Janulis over Jason Cipolla, 25th game
I'm pretty sure it was Cipolla who pipped Janulis. I'm almost positive Cipolla was the starter for the end of season run. But my memory has failed me before.

I'm pretty sure it was Cipolla who pipped Janulis. I'm almost positive Cipolla was the starter for the end of season run. But my memory has failed me before.

I looked up the game by game stats in the following year's media guide and I'm inclined to agree. Cipolla did start 24 games and Janulis 14. their numbers vary from game to game but Cipolla was certainly playing more at the end of the season. I think Jim went with the hot hand but probably began starting Janulis and switched to Cipolla in the 15th game.

I looked up the game by game stats in the following year's media guide and I'm inclined to agree. Cipolla did start 24 games and Janulis 14. their numbers vary from game to game but Cipolla was certainly playing more at the end of the season. I think Jim went with the hot hand but probably began starting Janulis and switched to Cipolla in the 15th game.
Janulis was injured at the end of the year.

Janulis was injured at the end of the year.

He only missed one game:

Syracuse Basketball 1995-1996

"The beginning of the Big East season was harsh on the Orangemen, losing five of the first eight conference games (including all four road games). Jim Boeheim made some roster adjustments, moving Cipolla into the starting line up in place of Janulis to gain some extra size and defense, and having Cipolla and Burgan switch off between forward and guard."

"As a sophomore, Janulis would share playing time with junior college transfer Jason Cipolla. Both were strong three point shooting threats. Janulis was the better shooter, while Cipolla was a stronger defender and rebounder, but still a strong shooter. The two of them were instrumental in helping the Orangemen make their run for the national championship, coming up just short against Kentucky in the title game."

I'd forgotten about Conrad and Rob Johnson. He got some SU gear, including sneakers and tickets but later paid the money back.
and don't forget that he reportedly gave him a ride up to SU from Brooklyn

He only missed one game:

Syracuse Basketball 1995-1996

"The beginning of the Big East season was harsh on the Orangemen, losing five of the first eight conference games (including all four road games). Jim Boeheim made some roster adjustments, moving Cipolla into the starting line up in place of Janulis to gain some extra size and defense, and having Cipolla and Burgan switch off between forward and guard."

"As a sophomore, Janulis would share playing time with junior college transfer Jason Cipolla. Both were strong three point shooting threats. Janulis was the better shooter, while Cipolla was a stronger defender and rebounder, but still a strong shooter. The two of them were instrumental in helping the Orangemen make their run for the national championship, coming up just short against Kentucky in the title game."
I think Janulis was dinged up at the end of the season. He played only 7 minutes vs. UK and did not take a shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom