Who is applying for new analytics position? | Syracusefan.com

Who is applying for new analytics position?

Matt Edwards has spent the past two seasons as Virginia’s director of football analytics, working on the same staff as SU’s new offensive coordinator (Robert Anae) and quarterbacks coach (Jason Beck).

Edwards, reached Thursday, said he applied for the job.

“We’re far from a done deal,” he said.

Oooh! Ooooh! Me! Me!

gettyimages-200449839-001-612x612.jpg

Matt Edwards has spent the past two seasons as Virginia’s director of football analytics, working on the same staff as SU’s new offensive coordinator (Robert Anae) and quarterbacks coach (Jason Beck).

Edwards, reached Thursday, said he applied for the job.

“We’re far from a done deal,” he said.
To repeat, Edwards is the grandson of Lavell Edwards. Yes, that Lavell Edwards…..

To repeat, Edwards is the grandson of Lavell Edwards. Yes, that Lavell Edwards…..

Talk about Bloodlines! I knew BYU always had a good program, but I never really had a sense of Lavell Edwards' accomplishments:

With 257 career victories, he ranks as one of the most successful college football coaches of all time. Among his many notable accomplishments, Edwards guided BYU to a national championship in 1984 and coached Heisman Trophy winner Ty Detmer in 1990.

Edwards coached prominent quarterbacks such as Steve Young, Jim McMahon, Ty Detmer, Marc Wilson, Robbie Bosco, Gary Scheide, Gifford Nielsen and Steve Sarkisian.[1][3][5]

LaVell Edwards Stadium at Brigham Young University

Awards won by his players include a Heisman Trophy, a Doak Walker Award, a Maxwell Award, two Outland Trophies, four Davey O'Brien Awards, seven Sammy Baugh Awards,[8] 34 All-America citations (including 10 consensus All-Americans), 11 conference player of the year and 24 Academic All-America player citations.[5]

In 1984, he was named National Coach of the Year after BYU finished the season 13–0 and won the National Championship.[1][6] Edwards retired after the 2000 season with a 257–101–3 record.[1][3][5][6]

SIGN ME UP!!!!

I'm hoping a graduate from the Sports Analytics program in Falk college at SU gets a chance. I do know a couple who are already associated with the athletic department who are interested in applying.

I'm sure Matt Edwards is qualified, but Anae and Beck can show someone new what they want. I'm confident a Sport Analytics graduate from SU can run the same programs and produce the same data. The difference is someone new to Anae and Beck may see something different and bring new information to the table. And all else being equal, why not help one of our graduates?

Last edited:
I'm hoping a graduate from the Sports Analytics program in Falk college at SU gets a chance. I do know a couple who are already associated with the athletic department who are interested in applying.

I'm sure Matt Edwards is qualified, but Anae and Beck can show someone new what they want. I'm confident a Sport Analytics graduate from SU can run the same programs and produce the same data. The difference is someone new to Anae and Beck may see something different and bring new information to the table. And all else being equal, why not help one of our graduates?
I'm sure they want someone with a few years experience. So if there is a Falk grad with a couple years experience they should get considered.

That’s a pretty extensive job description for a job that is projected to be an 8 to 5 job.

I know there is a really strong relationship already between SUAD and the sports analytics people at Falk. A bunch of the students work for SUAD during their studies here.

I am sure any SU grads in that area of study that apply will be looked at very seriously.

I know there is a really strong relationship already between SUAD and the sports analytics people at Falk. A bunch of the students work for SUAD during their studies here.

That's correct.

Well, yeah, except his grandfather produced some of the greatest quarterbacks in history, and Matt currently works for a couple very highly regarded offensive minds. So, sure, if the SU kid is as good. But Edwards has more going for him, just growing up around great QB play, and great offenses like BYU always seemed to have.

The job description clearly states you need nfl or ncaa football experience. Doubt a new grad has a chance.

If it were me, I’d hire the UVA guy to accelerate the acclimation as he already knows how Anae/Beck like to look at things. Can’t understate the importance of shaving weeks of training and development off the roadmap.

Then create an internship and bring on several students from Falk to support the effort. Creates a great pipeline, bandwidth and opportunities for SU students.

It really needs to be about getting the best person for the job. At this point with so much on the line it can’t be about doing favors.

If it were me, I’d hire the UVA guy to accelerate the acclimation as he already knows how Anae/Beck like to look at things. Can’t understate the importance of shaving weeks of training and development off the roadmap.

Then create an internship and bring on several students from Falk to support the effort. Creates a great pipeline, bandwidth and opportunities for SU students.
The person is already familiar with what Anae/Beck want so make the transition easy, bring him in. We want to make the transition of the new staff as easy as possible.

The stats porition of of this job doesn't seem too hard - it's tendency tracking, so the stats wouldn't be all that formula-driven or cutting-edge. The hard part is knowing football well enough to log really nuanced football stuff - 1st read, RPO reactions, % showing blitz versus % executing - and doing so quickly, efficiently, AND correctly.

The stats porition of of this job doesn't seem too hard - it's tendency tracking, so the stats wouldn't be all that formula-driven or cutting-edge. The hard part is knowing football well enough to log really nuanced football stuff - 1st read, RPO reactions, % showing blitz versus % executing - and doing so quickly, efficiently, AND correctly.

Run-Run-Pass-Punt was such a simpler time.

I would apply but I'd probably just end up giving Dino smart ass remarks about how he should already know, every time he asked me for data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom