Who is the best athlete from your county? | Syracusefan.com

Who is the best athlete from your county?

From my county, I would say Troy Murphy, saw him a couple times play in person, he was a beast.

Pat Riley for Oneida County? Born in Rome but not raised. Could have gone with better options. Robert Esche, Will Smith, Mark Lemke, Erin Hamlin, Andy Van Slyke.

Thought it was kind of weak giving Kings County Michael Jordan, too. Thought it was a fun read, thank you for sharing that Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pat Riley for Oneida County? Born in Rome but not raised. Could have gone with better options. Robert Esche, Will Smith, Mark Lemke, Erin Hamlin, Andy Van Slyke.

Thought it was kind of weak giving Kings County Michael Jordan, too. Thought it was a fun read, thank you for sharing that Steve.
A couple others from Oneida County:
  • Three-time All-Star second baseman Dave Cash (Utica)
  • 1954 U.S. Open champion Ed Furgol (New York Mills)

A couple others from Oneida County:
  • Three-time All-Star second baseman Dave Cash (Utica)
  • 1954 U.S. Open champion Ed Furgol (New York Mills)

Can't believe I forgot Cash. Good catch. Wasn't familiar with Furgol but I'm not a huge golf guy. Speaking of golf, was going to add Wayne Levi to my original list but saw he was already listed for Herkimer County. Always thought he was a New Hartford guy, but apparently he is a Little Falls native.

Can't believe I forgot Cash. Good catch. Wasn't familiar with Furgol but I'm not a huge golf guy. Speaking of golf, was going to add Wayne Levi to my original list but saw he was already listed for Herkimer County. Always thought he was a New Hartford guy, but apparently he is a Little Falls native.
I was surprised about Levi, too. Furgol's story is fascinating and worth checking out. Ted Kroll from New Hartford was another very accomplished golfer and a contemporary of Furgol. Those guys really held their own against the likes of Hogan, Snead, Palmer and the other great players of that era.

I grew up in a town in Montgomery County. Don't agree with that pick. One guy in my town who went to High School with my dad played baseball and basketball at Syracuse with JB and played for the Mets in the minors. Another one of my parents friends pitched for the tigers. I think there were better choices.

Makes no sense. Riley went to high school with my mother in Schenectady.

Makes no sense. Riley went to high school with my mother in Schenectady.
He did live his early years in Rome where his father managed a minor league baseball team, but I believe they left the area before he was a teenager.

He did live his early years in Rome where his father managed a minor league baseball team, but I believe they left the area before he was a teenager.

Correct. I'm going to have to try and dig up some photos.

Nancy Liebermann the best athletes from Queens? Really?

Should have given the Cayuga county award to Mel Hall instead of the NASCAR racer. Every school in the old OHSL south has a how far Mel Hall hit the ball story.

Jimmy Howard, Rick Carlisle, Ike Bogosian. Zach Bogosian, Hal Cohen, Pete Gogolak, Charlie Gogolak

Small county so I picked them all

Tough choice for Nassau between Dr. J and Jim Brown. And that even leaves Howard Davis, who won an Olympic boxing Gold Medal, out of consideration.