Who Plays Third Attack Spot? | Syracusefan.com

Who Plays Third Attack Spot?

What Is Best Option For The Third Attack Spot?

• Griffin Cook

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • Brendan Curry

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Tucker Dordevic

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Owen Seebold/Other

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Powellfan

All American
Since Chase Scanlan has decided to transfer to Syracuse, the lineup at attack has solidified quite a bit. But there is still an open spot, and it will be really fascinating to see who grabs it. We've discussed the many options in other threads, but I was curious what it might like look in a poll. I tried to think of the top three options and include an "other" option. I tried to lay out the positives/minus to each option below.

Cook - saw a lot of time last year on the second midfield and I don't think Desko would give him that much PT without expecting him to have a larger role in 2020. He certainly had both good and bad moments last year. He's a shifty natural goal scorer but is quite small. I would perhaps feel better about him starting if he had played more like Rhefuss did his freshmen year, who was un-guardable by short sticks. On the other hand, Cook does deserve a lot of credit for playing out of position at midfield, and it's almost impossible to tell if he's right or left handed.

Dordevic - Coming off an injury, there are a lot of questions about where the sophomore fits in best. Strong and fast, I think he has some of the highest upside of the offensive players on the team. But will he be the same player he was his freshman year, or will injury hold him back? David Lipka replaced him on the first line and the junior had a very solid season - will Desko want to break up that unit, or is it easier for all involved to bump Dordevic to attack? Will he be less injury prone playing attack, not having to play defense?

Curry - Fast and mobile with a dangerous shot, Curry had a breakout sophomore year for the Orange last year. His speed and passing ability could work really well on attack, and would help next year when Rhefuss leaves. Most of the other guys on the team could be considered dodgers or finishers, not really QBs. Personally I think Curry work better at midfield where he can start from the midfield line and run by people, but speed is speed. He had a rough end to the season last year, but he could put up huge numbers next year wherever he plays. He played some attack as a freshman. As with Dordevic, you could slide Lipka or Buttermore into the starting lineup and not have much of a downgrade.

Seebold/Other - I picked Seebold as leader of the "next" group since he has gotten the most playing time. Seebold is a former Under Armor All American and has good size, but has only one goal in two years. Things might click this offseason, but so far it's been hard to see it. There are plenty of other unproven options as well - Basil Aburn, Sean Donnely, Jake Nelson, Jack Wood, Mikey Berkman, etc. There's a chance one of them comes back from summer vacation and blows the coaches away, but right now there isn't a lot to go on. None come in as a super high recruit, but that doesn't mean they can't be good.

Would love to know what the coaches were thinking right now regarding who they favored. Since we are factoring in midfielders, it also might come down to the coaches wanting to get the Kims/Magnan/Fiorini more playing time, and moving Dordevic or Curry would make that easier. Anyway, I made the poll open for two weeks, very interested to see where people stand. So vote and make your case as to who should be the third starter on attack. I've changed my mind at least a half dozen times already.

This is a tough one. Of course, SU will probably play 4 guys regularly. I voted for Cook, because I think he's a natural attackman, plays well within the team structure and I'm predicting Dordevic isn't quite as dynamic as he once was and the coaches prefer Curry at middie for the reasons everyone has mentioned, ie his speed.

I'm expecting Cook to break out. Let's hope opposing defenses try to double pole our mids...Cook will destroy shorties on the dodge.

Since Chase Scanlan has decided to transfer to Syracuse, the lineup at attack has solidified quite a bit. But there is still an open spot, and it will be really fascinating to see who grabs it. We've discussed the many options in other threads, but I was curious what it might like look in a poll. I tried to think of the top three options and include an "other" option. I tried to lay out the positives/minus to each option below.

Cook - saw a lot of time last year on the second midfield and I don't think Desko would give him that much PT without expecting him to have a larger role in 2020. He certainly had both good and bad moments last year. He's a shifty natural goal scorer but is quite small. I would perhaps feel better about him starting if he had played more like Rhefuss did his freshmen year, who was un-guardable by short sticks. On the other hand, Cook does deserve a lot of credit for playing out of position at midfield, and it's almost impossible to tell if he's right or left handed.

Dordevic - Coming off an injury, there are a lot of questions about where the sophomore fits in best. Strong and fast, I think he has some of the highest upside of the offensive players on the team. But will he be the same player he was his freshman year, or will injury hold him back? David Lipka replaced him on the first line and the junior had a very solid season - will Desko want to break up that unit, or is it easier for all involved to bump Dordevic to attack? Will he be less injury prone playing attack, not having to play defense?

Curry - Fast and mobile with a dangerous shot, Curry had a breakout sophomore year for the Orange last year. His speed and passing ability could work really well on attack, and would help next year when Rhefuss leaves. Most of the other guys on the team could be considered dodgers or finishers, not really QBs. Personally I think Curry work better at midfield where he can start from the midfield line and run by people, but speed is speed. He had a rough end to the season last year, but he could put up huge numbers next year wherever he plays. He played some attack as a freshman. As with Dordevic, you could slide Lipka or Buttermore into the starting lineup and not have much of a downgrade.

Seebold/Other - I picked Seebold as leader of the "next" group since he has gotten the most playing time. Seebold is a former Under Armor All American and has good size, but has only one goal in two years. Things might click this offseason, but so far it's been hard to see it. There are plenty of other unproven options as well - Basil Aburn, Sean Donnely, Jake Nelson, Jack Wood, Mikey Berkman, etc. There's a chance one of them comes back from summer vacation and blows the coaches away, but right now there isn't a lot to go on. None come in as a super high recruit, but that doesn't mean they can't be good.

Would love to know what the coaches were thinking right now regarding who they favored. Since we are factoring in midfielders, it also might come down to the coaches wanting to get the Kims/Magnan/Fiorini more playing time, and moving Dordevic or Curry would make that easier. Anyway, I made the poll open for two weeks, very interested to see where people stand. So vote and make your case as to who should be the third starter on attack. I've changed my mind at least a half dozen times already.

Good post.

From what I know Cook has been moved to attack full time and will be given every opportunity and the first shot to win the 3rd attack spot. Cook was clearly playing out of position at midfield (despite seeing some limited time there in HS) and by the end of the year did not look comfortable at all. I suspect we will see a different version of Cook next season as he gets back to his attack roots. I have been high on Cook from the get go but he has to be more aggressive right from the stat of fall ball. To many times last year he had a step on his man or an alley to make a move and he either rolled back into his defender or peeled off from attacking. That said I expect big things out of him next year and that when push comes to shove he will be starting at attack.

I would not be surprised if the staff gives Dordevic some run at attack so they can throw some different matchups against defenses on occassion, sort of a reverse Mariano. Imagine a lineup of Scanlan/Dordevic/Rehfuss or Cook with Trimbo/Curry/Buttermore at the midfield. Good luck short-sticking two of those 6.

I can't see Curry at attack personally. Curry's biggest asset is his ability to alley dodge with a head of steam. He hasn't looked real comfortable the few times he has played around the crease and I am not sure you want to move a threat like him from the midfield that you know defenses are forced to game plan against. I will say that based on Curry's shooting accuracy struggles at times, getting him closer to the goal wouldn't be a bad thing. Toward the end of the season I was having flashbacks to Hakeem Lecky with some of his shots missing the cage by a mile.

I have already shared my thoughts on Seebold previously so I won't get in depth here but I don't see him being the answer. Hopefully he can prove me way wrong. Wood is a very interesting option as he plays as a QB type of attackmen who can also score. Tough to ask a Frosh to come in an make an impact right away but its possible. Donnelly has gotten some good pub and has some good video from his time at IMG. However, he's more a crease guy and with Scanlan in the fold now I am not sure thats what the staff is looking for. Could see him maybe getting that 4th spot or pushing for man up time if he really comes out strong in the fall/pre-season. Other then that hard to see anyone else with a realistic version of grabbing that third spot save for maybe Berkman but he would have to really break out.

With all the names listed, I would not be surprised to see a transfer out.

Hard to disagree. Bigger question is probably who is the 4th attacker.
A: Rehfuss, Scanlan, Cook
M: Curry, Trimbo, Dorevic, Lipka, Buttmore, Quinn, New guys.

I like Cook in the 3rd spot. With the attention that Rehfuss and Scanlan will get, i think things will open up for him off ball. I liked his finish against Hopkins.

Berkman as the 4th attackmen. I like Seebold, good stick skills, but he was very timid at times. whiffed on some catch and finishes

... I would not be surprised if the staff gives Dordevic some run at attack so they can throw some different matchups against defenses on occassion, sort of a reverse Mariano. Imagine a lineup of Scanlan/Dordevic/Rehfuss or Cook with Trimbo/Curry/Buttermore at the midfield. Good luck short-sticking two of those 6. ...

I'm no expert, but I have seen virtually every SU lax game over the last two years. Dordevic showed a lot more than Cook did when both were freshmen, and he played attack in HS. If healthy, I think Dordevic would be the better option as the third attackman. Playing Dordevic at attack would allow last year's most productive midfield combination (Trimboli/Curry/Buttermore) to stay together. I know I'm in the minority on this so far, and I know that Cook has great potential, but if he's healthy, I'm guessing that Dordevic winds up as the third attackman.

I'm no expert, but I have seen virtually every SU lax game over the last two years. Dordevic showed a lot more than Cook did when both were freshmen, and he played attack in HS. If healthy, I think Dordevic would be the better option as the third attackman. Playing Dordevic at attack would allow last year's most productive midfield combination (Trimboli/Curry/Buttermore) to stay together. I know I'm in the minority on this so far, and I know that Cook has great potential, but if he's healthy, I'm guessing that Dordevic winds up as the third attackman.

I hear what your saying but keep in mind that Dordevic was playing his more natural position of midfield for his entire Frosh season while Cook was shuttling between attack and midfield and ended up playing mostly midfield, a position he only played sparingly as a Sr in HS when he ran through the box for matchup purposes. Also as good as Dordevic was his Frosh year, he definitely slowed down in the second half of the season as more footage of him was available for opponents to game plan against and he started getting polled regularly. Dordevic definitely had the better overall frosh campaign and like everyone else I can't wait to get him back on the field but its hard to compare his 1st year to Cook's because its not an even comparison based on the circumstances.

Problably Cook but plenty of good options including Dordevic. Ill add incoming Sean Connelly to list of candidates based solely on his highlight tapes. Good size , hands and mobility, in/out game , shoots and passes with both hands, has played with Scanlan.

I am going with Nelson as a dark horse. He has one year left and is a good dodger.

As of 3 weeks ago, Dordevic was fully preparing to move to attack. He was told to come back in the Fall fully focused on that role. However, that was pre-Scanlan and that changes things. I like Cook but not fully sold yet that he can make it happen at attack . I like Dordevic in that slot as the third man - he’s had same foot injury now twice and I think he’s too dynamic to risk another injury ..keep the first mid group together and rotate cook in as the 4th guy and mix him in to some runs up top given he’s now gotten some runs there too. I think our strength is the element of surprise and options to keep opposing teams off center

I think Cook will most likely be the 3rd attackman to start week 1. I think Desko will probably play 4 attackmen. The real question is who is the 4th attackman, I don't think we'll know until after the fall/pre-season. Anyone could emerge after a solid summer of work. For all we know Seebold could return a new man this fall.

I would like to see Desko consistently run 2 midfield lines and I think that keeping the core 5 midfielders allows him to do just that.

Is it clear that Dordevic is in fact back / clear to play ? Expected for fall ball ?

Hes expected to be full go by January as far as I know. As for fall ball I think that's unclear. Think its highly likely he sits out any fall scrimmages.

Problably Cook but plenty of good options including Dordevic. Ill add incoming Sean Connelly to list of candidates based solely on his highlight tapes. Good size , hands and mobility, in/out game , shoots and passes with both hands, has played with Scanlan.
I like Donnelly too I think hes a dark horse potentially to be the 3rd or 4th attacker. We can just compromise and call him Sean Connery.

I like Donnelly too I think hes a dark horse potentially to be the 3rd or 4th attacker. We can just compromise and call him Sean Connery.

Could be the 4th guy as a pure finisher ala Voigt or Keogh as the other guys are more all around attackmen

As of 3 weeks ago, Dordevic was fully preparing to move to attack. He was told to come back in the Fall fully focused on that role. However, that was pre-Scanlan and that changes things. I like Cook but not fully sold yet that he can make it happen at attack . I like Dordevic in that slot as the third man - he’s had same foot injury now twice and I think he’s too dynamic to risk another injury ..keep the first mid group together and rotate cook in as the 4th guy and mix him in to some runs up top given he’s now gotten some runs there too. I think our strength is the element of surprise and options to keep opposing teams off center

Had heard essentially the same, team was prepared to move him to attack based on the overload at midfield. Now however, with Scanlan in the fold I think that changes the calculation barring an unforeseen transfer or injury. Cook is being moved back full time to attack and I believe Dordevic being moved was for the 3rd spot now taken by Scanlan. I suspect SU will cross train Tucker at both spots once hes cleared ala Mariano but I now expect him to start on the 1st mid line barring injury issues. Cooks days of playing middie are essentially over, staff want him at attack full time.

Last edited:
Had heard essentially the same, team was prepared to move him to attack based on the overload at midfield. Now however, with Scanlan in the fold I think that changes the calculation barring an unforeseen transfer or injury. Cook is being moved back full time to attack and I believe Dordevic being moved was for the 3rd spot now taken by Scanlan. I suspect SU will cross train Tucker at both spots once hes cleared ala Mariano but I now expect him to start on the 1st mid line barring injury issues. Cooks days of playing middie are essentially over, staff want him at attack full time.

I have zero clue. But.

It’s so nice to have options, and to actually have this be a discussion in July.

Gotta be Dordevic to start. He’s a more talented player than Cook. He gets the first shot to see if he can play attack. If he can’t, move him back up. To me it’s simple Dordevic is a better player than Cook. Elite freshman don’t only score 5 points. I remember Desko yelling at him “you have to take him” or something like that to Cook when he had a shorty and he didn’t beat him. Kid had heart but not any where near the lacrosse skill Dordo has. I believe he easily slides in in 2021 and will be a good attackman by then. Side note I think that the new 22 is gonna be the finisher of the group. While also dodging secondarily. The midfield gets the first dodge when that first line is out there.

Great discussion. A little surprised that Cook is running away with things right now, but it's encouraging so many are on the same page. I voted for Cook myself, given that he played so much last year, and his skill set I think matches up with the other two attackmen. Hopefully he comes back and shows a little more Kevin Rice in his game.

Given the large roster right now, especially at attack - I think starting with Cook could give Desko an excuse to play a rotation of two players at the spot (think Billy Ward and freshman Dylan Donahue in '13). And with so many players, Desko might be feeling pressure to keep guys happy. Sometimes I think Desko can actually play *too many* guys and I hope he doesn't get carried away with mixing and matching.

That said, I'm still intrigued by the thought of Dordevic at attack. It could be that the coaches play a "crunch time" lineup and have Dordevic slide down to attack, and replace him with Buttermore or Lipka at midfield. I think Dordevic's strength (see his one-handed goal against ND two years ago) could really make him a very good attackman. The one worry I guess would be he is predominately right handed, and that spot on attack will be filled by Scanlan. I think you'd need someone who is comfortable playing behind the goal, and I'm not saying he couldn't, we just haven't seen him do it a lot.

The other reason I could see Dordevic on attack is I just think Buttermore is too talented to keep on the second line. Even if Scanlan did not transfer in, I thought he should replace Lipka on the first line (with Dordevic moving to attack). Now, of course having a really good second midfield is not something to take for granted, and I think he and Lipka really complement each other, but the guy can score and I just can't shake the feeling he should be starting.

Having so much offenseive talent is a great problem to have, and I think this should be the best offense 'Cuse has had since the Rice/Donahue/Staats days, but it's certainly going to be tough to keep everyone happy. Desko and Donahue really have their work cut out for themselves.

Great discussion. A little surprised that Cook is running away with things right now, but it's encouraging so many are on the same page. I voted for Cook myself, given that he played so much last year, and his skill set I think matches up with the other two attackmen. Hopefully he comes back and shows a little more Kevin Rice in his game.

Given the large roster right now, especially at attack - I think starting with Cook could give Desko an excuse to play a rotation of two players at the spot (think Billy Ward and freshman Dylan Donahue in '13). And with so many players, Desko might be feeling pressure to keep guys happy. Sometimes I think Desko can actually play *too many* guys and I hope he doesn't get carried away with mixing and matching.

That said, I'm still intrigued by the thought of Dordevic at attack. It could be that the coaches play a "crunch time" lineup and have Dordevic slide down to attack, and replace him with Buttermore or Lipka at midfield. I think Dordevic's strength (see his one-handed goal against ND two years ago) could really make him a very good attackman. The one worry I guess would be he is predominately right handed, and that spot on attack will be filled by Scanlan. I think you'd need someone who is comfortable playing behind the goal, and I'm not saying he couldn't, we just haven't seen him do it a lot.

The other reason I could see Dordevic on attack is I just think Buttermore is too talented to keep on the second line. Even if Scanlan did not transfer in, I thought he should replace Lipka on the first line (with Dordevic moving to attack). Now, of course having a really good second midfield is not something to take for granted, and I think he and Lipka really complement each other, but the guy can score and I just can't shake the feeling he should be starting.

Having so much offenseive talent is a great problem to have, and I think this should be the best offense 'Cuse has had since the Rice/Donahue/Staats days, but it's certainly going to be tough to keep everyone happy. Desko and Donahue really have their work cut out for themselves.

It'll be interesting to see how Chase transitions to attack and takes on a larger offensive role.

I didn't watch most of Loyola's last season but what I did see showed Chase finishing a lot of what Pat Spencer started. I know he created his own opportunities but it's easier to do consistently when a defense is primarily focused on your teammate.

What he can do, as the focal point of this offense, will determine what skill set is needed at that third spot. If he's a dodging force capable of creating slides and opportunities for others then that third spot will likely go to the best finisher among those mentioned.

If that player can also dodge effectively then the offense will take a pretty big leap from last season as Chase has proven a superb off-ball finisher.

Many great options and possible combinations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom