Who should have redshirted? | Syracusefan.com

Who should have redshirted?

PoppyHart

All American
If there was ONE player who should have redshirted his freshman year over the last 20 years, who would it have been?

I think we lost a lot as a program with Damone Brown not redshirting.

Sherman Douglas.

We needed a point guard in 1990 in the worst way.

Would we have been a Final Four team in 1987 if he had never played a minute prior to the season? I know he didn't play much as a frosh, but you never know.

I would have said Rautins, then remembered he got a medical redshirt.

I believe southerland did red shirt but the worst none red shirt in the jb era and it's not close is Dan Schayes. Hardly played at all as a frosh. Was great by his sr year and we had to play Hawkins in what would have been danny's sr year.

I believe southerland did red shirt but the worst none red shirt in the jb era and it's not close is Dan Schayes. Hardly played at all as a frosh. Was great by his sr year and we had to play Hawkins in what would have been danny's sr year.
I thought he did? Seemed like he was 25 when he left SU.

Okay--just out of curiosity...

Southerland originally was in the same recruiting class as Kris Joseph. Southerland didn't qualify academically, so he went to a prep school [I believe], which made him come the next year. Spacing him out one year from KJ.

Then, his true frosh season, he had an exhibition where he went something like 6-6 from three point range, which essentially put the kybosh on him redhsirting. That was the 09-10 season--Wes's one year in our program, and of course--JS didn't play. Hence, my viewpoint about him redshirting. So I don't think that he redshirted, I think he spent a year at a prep school after Cordozo.

Am I misremembering the details?

Rick Jackson, or was he redshirted?

Maybe CJ? :O

Southerland originally was in the same recruiting class as Kris Joseph. Southerland didn't qualify academically, so he went to a prep school [I believe], which made him come the next year. Spacing him out one year from KJ.

Then, his true frosh season, he had an exhibition where he went something like 6-6 from three point range, which essentially put the kybosh on him redhsirting. That was the 09-10 season--Wes's one year in our program, and of course--JS didn't play. Hence, my viewpoint about him redshirting.

I don't know. I just remember him red shirting. I'll find out for sure on Monday. If I am right, I'll let you know.

Demetris Nichols

I thought of him, but he actually contributed late in the 03-04 season and "lead" the team to the NIT as senior, whereas Brown at least brought his team to the 2nd round of the tourney. I suppose if you incorporated him into the Flynn, Green, Jackson, Jardine quartet he would have been a source of calm. With Brown playing in 01-02, I doubt we miss the tourney.

Southerland is a very good call. I also regret the non-shirts of Luke Jackson and, if he had stayed, Glenn Sekunda.

I don't know. I just remember him red shirting. I'll find out for sure on Monday. If I am right, I'll let you know.

I totally could have those details screwed up--just thought that he was in the same original class as KJ, but ended up being a year later eligibility wise due to having to go to prep school.

I totally could have those details screwed up--just thought that he was in the same original class as KJ, but ended up being a year later eligibility wise due to having to go to prep school.

I am pretty certain he did not redshirt

He is not pictured on the '08-'09 team and is not listed on the roster on suathletics

Last edited:
This. Schayes was buried behind Louie & Bouie. Went from 5PPG as a junior to 1st team all Big East as a Senior. Then went on to a 47 year career in the NBA. I think he's still playing in the league.

I'll nominate James Southerland.

I'm all about this, was ruing that 2009 decision at about this time last season. South rounded into an outstanding defender, a capable rebounder, and he probably could shoot ~42% from three as a fourth-year player (with an uninterrupted last year).

The one problem: where's he getting minutes on this year's team?

Then, his true frosh season, he had an exhibition where he went something like 6-6 from three point range, which essentially put the kybosh on him redhsirting. That was the 09-10 season--Wes's one year in our program, and of course--JS didn't play. Hence, my viewpoint about him redshirting. So I don't think that he redshirted, I think he spent a year at a prep school after Cardozo.

That's correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom