Who's qualified to talk about Politics?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Cusefan0307, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Cusefan0307

Cusefan0307 2017 Iggy Winner

1. The right B&Moans when famous people use their platforms to promote social issues.
    2. The left B&Moans when their ideas are challenged.

So I can only concluded one thing. Both sides hate each other because they can't stand differing opinions. So we are in an era where we can't really trust any information coming from news sources. My question for the board is who is qualified to talk about politics? Poor people? Rich people? Not famous people? I am foggy here. The rules seem to have changed.

2. cliftonparksufan

cliftonparksufan Iggy Award Magistrate

Don't they say that opinions are like buttholes so I guess everyone is qualified to talk politics. My take on Meryl Streep is that even though you are an absolute great actress, the best of our lifetime, there is a time and place for everything. That would be like interviewing the Super Bowl MVP. We want to hear him talk football, not about politics. Of course maybe people who watch the Golden Globes want that. I don't know, since I wasn't watching.

3. NineOneSeven

NineOneSeven Living Legend

Anyone can talk about politics. Doesn't mean I have to listen or care about what they say.

tipphill, Briancuse, tptcuse and 2 others like this.
  4. ssbriefcase

ssbriefcase All Conference

Right, no one has to listen to anyone. As far as the "celebrity" is concerned, if it's important enough to them, where's a better spot for them to say what they feel is a very important message, than with millions watching and listening? What they're saying either makes sense to you or it doesn't. They've been doing this since there was the wide platform to do so.

5. shandeezy7

shandeezy7 All American

In my opinion, it's ridiculous that people think they are the arbiters of who does and doesn't get to talk about politics; and they only say these things when someone is offering an opinion that they disagree with. A perfect example of this:

tipphill and CuseFaninVT like this.
  6. shandeezy7

shandeezy7 All American

7. shandeezy7

shandeezy7 All American

8. shandeezy7

shandeezy7 All American

9. shandeezy7

shandeezy7 All American

10. Cusefan0307

I mean the only reason Trump is president is because he was a celebrity. Seems like some are ok with conservative celebrity's and not ok with liberal celebrity's and vice versa. Partisans on each side are looking at this in a vaccuum IMO.

CuseFaninVT, JoeSU and ssbriefcase like this.
  11. Eric15

Eric15 Living Legend

The irony of this tweet is that the conservative demigod is former Hollywood actor Ronald Reagan who served in the "First Motion Picture Unit" of the Army in Culver City, CA during WW2.

NKR1978 and CuseFaninVT like this.
  12. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

Discourse is dead.
    If hate the elites and people with education you don't want to be lectured.
    If you hate Trump america then you are living in the past and can't stand them.
    Our country doesn't want to unite. It is both sides faults.
    Trump would have been stopped if the Democratic establishment said no to Hillary Clinton.
    She being the nominee made Trump winning possible.

13. rrlbees

rrlbees 2017 ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner Staff Member

I blame the GOP long before I blame the dems. He should not have ever been their candidate.

14. Cowtown

Cowtown Adult Study Hall Overseer

Which is completely incongruous, for you don't get elected is you don't have some degree of fame or popularity relative to your constituency. Trump himself is far more famous than politically competent. He demonstrates that on a daily basis.

15. Ozcuse

Ozcuse All Conference

I said 9 months ago that the Republicans/RNC should want to have superdelegates like the Dems. It would protect the Establishment candidates.

The other major problem for the R's was too many candidates. The only way to differentiate yourself from the pack was to be the loudest, d0uchiest candidate. Rubio looked and sounded the most Presidential early and he ended up getting labeled Little Marco by the third grade bully.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  16. cliftonparksufan

How about being the only candidate to speak to the American people. Trump spoke. People listened. They responded by voting for him. He played the game and won the game. 1000 years from now they will be still discussing this election.

It's a shame that the Dems are still in denial. Maybe if they step back they will see why they lost this election.

cmr27 and Shrmdougluvr like this.
  17. Cusefan0307

I don't disagree with any of this, HOWEVER Trump was a celebrity. If he never did the Apprentice he never would have been president. Reagan was a movie star and president. I don't get why people on the right want liberal celebrity's to shut up, but it's ok for conservative celebrity's speak their mind.

I have no opinion of Meryl Streep one way or another, but honestly why does the right care. Just shut the up and let people complain.

pfister1 and CuseFaninVT like this.
  18. shandeezy7

shandeezy7 All American

He spoke to the American people through half-truths, outright lies, bullying tactics and a lack of common decency. It's a sad statement on our society that the way to get through to the American people is to behave the way that Donald Trump did on the campaign trail.

NKR1978, CuseFaninVT and br801 like this.
  19. cliftonparksufan

True, and the show showed off all of his qualities. He's a bully but also a very smart businessman. The celebrity part is minimized. That would be saying Kim Kardashian is a celebrity so let's vote for her. The Apprentice was a great platform for DJT to show off. Sort of like Mark Cuban on Shark Tank. Coming into America's living room every week is a huge advantage.

20. Frozen

Frozen All American

A lot of conservatives would agree with you, but they'd have no problem with a game-winning quarterback bringing up Jesus when he's asked about football strategy in a post-game on-field interview.

21. cliftonparksufan

Go back to my last statement of my post. The Dems are still in denial. Unless they wake up they will be losing four years from now as well. They were ill prepared for DJT and didn't take him seriously.

22. Cusefan0307

I don't think the dems are in denial. I think they are finding ways to attack Trump just like GOP tried to attack Obama. That's just politics IMO.

23. shandeezy7

shandeezy7 All American

I don't disagree that the Dems were unprepared for him, but maybe it's because they thought there was no way that a man who was so crass and uneducated on the issues beyond screaming about jobs and immigrants stood a chance in garnering enough support from the American public.

CuseFaninVT likes this.
  24. cliftonparksufan

Or Colin Kaepernick. Let's defend freedom of speech and the right to protest. Do people agree with what Colin did or say that there is no room for protest in sports. No question that people (I'm sure myself included) speak from both sides of the their mouth. Defend the constitution but don't defend Colin or Meryl for what they did and/or when they did it.

25. Ozcuse

Ozcuse All Conference

There won't be another Donald Trump because he will either get impeached in office or thrown on his ass in 4 years. He was already the most unlikable candidate for President ever. I don't think his act will warm his detractors and many of his supporters will see through his BS soon enough. He won't have the opportunity of running against Clinton next time.