Why can't Carey play through one mistake? | Syracusefan.com

Why can't Carey play through one mistake?

Eric15

Living Legend
Why can't JB just let Carey get comfortable and play through his mistake? He mishandled the ball once, which may very well have been due to a wet spot on the floor that affected multiple other players.

I know I have zero career wins, but if it was me I would tell Jalen "listen, go out there and just relax, and play your game. If you turn the ball over once, it's fine, I'm not taking you out." And who knows, maybe it would result in him getting his mojo back and blowing by his defender for some easy layups which we all know he's capable of.

But instead, he's more mentally broken than he was prior to the game.

Why can't JB just let Carey get comfortable and play through his mistake? He mishandled the ball once, which may very well have been due to a wet spot on the floor that affected multiple other players.

I know I have zero career wins, but if it was me I would tell Jalen "listen, go out there and just relax, and play your game. If you turn the ball over once, it's fine, I'm not taking you out." And who knows, maybe it would result in him getting his mojo back and blowing by his defender for some easy layups which we all know he's capable of.

Kind of agree with you.

So we lose by 25 instead of 18?
He hasn’t displayed the ability to do, literally, anything in ACC play.

I’m interested to see him next year, and I get on JB about a lot, but not this... you don’t get to play through a mistake when you’re a freshman and keep making them at breakneck speed as soon as you get in.

...because he’ll make 10 more.

Maybe but Boeheim is not exactly the best in the biz at building players' confidence, either on the court or in a public forum. I listened to an interview Boeheim gave to Michael Kay a few years back. He was talking about what he admires most in Coach K. He said it was K's ability to get his kids up and their minds right for every game. This is an area where Boeheim has definitely struggled from time to time, by his own admission.

I've been following SU hoops pre JB's HC tenure. There nearly always has been a guy off the bench that gets yanked over one mistake. Maddening but absolutely a JB thing.

I've been following SU hoops pre JB's HC tenure. There nearly always has been a guy off the bench that gets yanked over one mistake. Maddening but absolutely a JB thing.

It's almost like people expecting JB to suddenly quit the zone.

He hasn’t displayed the ability to do, literally, anything in ACC play.

I’m interested to see him next year, and I get on JB about a lot, but not this... you don’t get to play through a mistake when you’re a freshman and keep making them at breakneck speed as soon as you get in.

Buddy had a long stretch where he couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn, but he was given opportunities and then it just clicked and now he’s good. Couldn’t the same happen to Carey?

Jalen is an asset for us that isn’t being utilized enough. He’s an elite athlete who can attack the basket, he just has zero confidence right now.

Carey played so good in NYC at MSG. Even though those were loses. Now he 's just a wreck probably because he has been broken mentally by the coaching criticism.

I’d say because he’s been a turnover machine and Boeheim doesn’t have confidence in him.

Sure it was one turnover today, but the human coaching mind can’t forget that he’s been turning it over every time he’s in there for a long time. And who knows how practice is going.

Jalen’s gotta be mentally tough and get through this and turn it around.

Last edited:
Yep young players need to play through their mistakes. They're going to make them but that's how you get better.

Worked wonders for Buddy who couldn't hit a barn from a a field or something.

Young players often need to accept they’ve got a lot of work to do and get better and earn minutes, moreso than they need their coach to keep playing them when they’re sucking. IMO.

He’s not the first guard to have a rocky freshman year.

One thing I have noticed about boehiem u have a couple bad games get ready for a verbal kick in the nuts and every player reacts to that kind of thing differently and I'm sure it does affect the way some players play after hearing that over and over. JB is definitely not a player's coach. I don't know might not be a big deal but listening to his postgame kind of frustrates me sometimes

Maybe it’s me but Buddy has had a pretty massive leash lately. If he’s making shots I get it but he was 0/6 from 3 tonight and while he’s a solid passer he can’t create for others and can’t do much off the dribble. I feel if Buddy isn’t making shots then it should be Frank or Jalen in.

One thing I have noticed about boehiem u have a couple bad games get ready for a verbal kick in the nuts and every player reacts to that kind of thing differently and I'm sure it does affect the way some players play after hearing that over and over. JB is definitely not a player's coach. I don't know might not be a big deal but listening to his postgame kind of frustrates me sometimes

At least JB hasnt been pulling a Roberson...I think he's been relatively mild in the pressers.

You have wins on here, my friend. More than me, lol.

He had 7 turnovers against UConn and like 3 against Duke in two minutes. It’s not just one mistake. He’s been awful.

I hear you, but those games were a long time ago. I just think JB has to be able to hit the mental reset button more often. I mean we recruited this guy for a reason.

Maybe it’s me but Buddy has had a pretty massive leash lately. If he’s making shots I get it but he was 0/6 from 3 tonight and while he’s a solid passer he can’t create for others and can’t do much off the dribble. I feel if Buddy isn’t making shots then it should be Frank or Jalen in.

Buddy’s been shooting the lights out lately.

Tonight was the first game that he didn’t shoot well in awhile.

Who knows, maybe after tonight JB does change the strategy. Over the years he's found ways to surprise me, and he gets the job done more often than not. He doesn't like losing, so I still have faith in him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom