Why did Boeheim call off the press? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why did Boeheim call off the press?

Boeheim is in the Hall of Fame and I'm just a random fan, but I still think the decision to get passive absolutely sucked in that specific moment in time.
were you hoping for something better than a stop and getting the ball back?

Maybe a turnover and an easy bucket? Silly, I know, as the half court offense was running so smoothly with Gillon running the show.

Yes. I think the chances of getting another turnover in that situation were quite high. They were having tons of trouble inbounding the ball.

We only play good on the road when we're making the game crazy. I wish we had the depth to press more...who am I kidding? We wouldn't get after it like that unless we were desperate even if we had 12 good players.

It would have been a risk.

Risk of what? Losing again? We lose all the time now. WGAF? Get after it. Whatever it takes to get these guys going. They played like defeated wimps for 18 minutes of the second half. Way too long.

hey we're too thin to press all half. but when you ask yourself how did we get the lead down to just 2 that answer is clear. the press. no question. so when people ask why we suddenly abandon the tactic that brought us back from certain defeat i feel those concerns hold some merit.

Even if it's token pressure on the inbounder and everyone except the C is pressuring, that's fantastic. Just don't go for the triple team corner trap we do at times so the court isn't too unbalanced.

I'm assuming we've coached the team up enough to have some options with the press.

Keep Lydon or Thompson back to ensure against the deep pass/quick break. Make that guy come up as the safety valve - but make them make that pass. Make them execute something. They were struggling just to get it over half court at times. As long as you have someone back for protection, do it up. Ga Tech was feeling the heat and falling apart, why let your foot off the gas all the way?

At the game, it felt like 100% the wrong move to drop back in the zone. Tech was clearly rattled and the crowd was electric.

I don't see anyway Tech makes it past half court without us having a chance or two to steal it.

For those that believe in "feel". It absolutely felt like we should've stayed in press, at that moment, in that arena.

It worked. Didn't bother me.

The last two games we let our shortest guy try to win the game, that drives me nuts. It feels that JB was just hoping he'd get fouled in both.

Gillon has been the guy for us this year at end of games. Even in the past two losses, he hit big (onions) threes to make them interesting. Obviously NC State game. He is our only guy whose quickness can create off a dribble and being able to draw contact is an added plus. Doesn't miss free throws. I am guessing these might be reasons why John has the ball in these situations.

Last edited:
Can you imagine if JB had kept the press on, and GT had run out with a dunk on the other end?

Yeah, there would have been what, 40-45 seconds left? Still plenty of time.

Two people summed it up well: GT was relieved we didn't press, and the "feel," in the arena was to keep pressing. Those two things are kind of the same, it's not some random gut feeling, it's instincts from watching lots of hoops and from watching how GT was handling it... Maybe they would have gotten the runout, but more likely they would have struggled to get set up and at least had less time on the shot clock to work with. If they want to try the Hail Mary/home run pass, let them... Not many college kids can throw it well enough to execute it... But even if they do, 'Cuse has time to get another possession then trap/foul.

Gillon has been the guy for us this year at end of games. Even in the past two losses, he hit big (onions) threes to make them interesting. Obviously NC State game. He is our only guy whose quickness can create off a dribble and being able to draw contact is an added plus. Doesn't miss free throws. I am guessing these might be reasons why John has the ball in these situations.

It was clear at least at UL we were looking to get a foul. Last night it seemed there was an extra pass to be made. Guy makes me uncomfortable when he drives.

It was clear at least at UL we were looking to get a foul. Last night it seemed there was an extra pass to be made. Guy makes me uncomfortable when he drives.
I'm pretty sure the play was Roberson pick, Gillon penetrate with the intentions of kicking it out for a 3. That being said, I'm just about done with Gillon initiating offense in the final seconds. Battle is unstoppable one on one but that apparently seems too easy?..

I'm pretty sure the play was Roberson pick, Gillon penetrate with the intentions of kicking it out for a 3. That being said, I'm just about done with Gillon initiating offense in the final seconds. Battle is unstoppable one on one but that apparently seems too easy?..

Honestly I'd feel more comfortable with a high screen and shot.

Battle is unstoppable. Even by his own body. Thus, he would make that pass, but end up running right through a defender picking up an obvious charge call, negating any shot attempt.

Gillon can't make shots in the paint. His only goal when driving is to get a foul whistled. If teams just play soft D against him, he throws up junky shots and mostly misses. Battle and White should be the drivers on offense. But White is often the focus on defense and this team can't set a proper pick to save their lives, so Gillon can't kick to him cutting him off of a screen.

After Lydon made that second free throw to cut the lead to two, why did we dial back the pressure?

I hated that decision. We had them rattled and on their heels -- Rick Pitino would have gone for the jugular there.
Cuse had the ball down two with plenty of time to score. I think the decision was a good one and did when he called it off. The press was effective but when broke, GT scored with relative ease which would have killed.

Calling off the press was REALLY bad, but somehow only maybe Jimmy's 4th worst decision last night. And I am usually one for calling off the press. But last night was just a perfect opportunity for it. First of all it had been working. Their ball handlers are worse than ours somehow. Second, even if they beat it they were not gonna go in for a layup, they wanted to use clock, so they would have pulled it out after beating the press anyway. So might as well try to get a turnover, since it costs us basically nothing.

illegal pick aside. gillon had only 6 assists on 5 turnovers. no telling what chaos might have happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom