Why do SU fans fear HCDB will perform like past coaches? | Syracusefan.com

Why do SU fans fear HCDB will perform like past coaches?

HtownOrange

Living Legend
Serious questions:

What in HCDB's history makes fans believe he will choke in the early season?

What in HCDB's history makes fans think he will fail to plan for games?

What in HCDB's history makes fans think he will have What The &^% games? (Be real with this one, every coach will have one at least every now and then, just use fair analysis)

Do you mean Middle Tennessee State?

If so, provide your analysis. As noted, there will always be a mistake. You should be able to back up your argument with several games as HCDB has 7 years as HC at the D1 level, three at the P5 level. You offer one example from a pool of more than 85 games.

I am not justifying the performance, but cherry picking a game without analysis and placing unsubstantiated fears based on a very finite sample seems illogical.

Do you mean Middle Tennessee State?

If so, provide your analysis. As noted, there will always be a mistake. You should be able to back up your argument with several games as HCDB has 7 years as HC at the D1 level, three at the P5 level. You offer one example from a pool of more than 85 games.

I am not justifying the performance, but cherry picking a game without analysis and placing unsubstantiated fears based on a very finite sample seems illogical.

MTSU really is the only one. Maybe the Wake game in 2016, but the monsoon conditions and year 1 really take the edge off that.

Even MTSU had the Shafer factor so I can’t hold that against him.

The way he’s talking about the team makes me think that he thinks we’re going to be really good, barring injuries.

coach can only control how the team is prepared.. cant control dropping a punt.

still i dont think the talent gap is that large vs liberty , we play well we win, we dont its gets dicey

So I don't know the board members who have voiced concerns about choking early season. I would say I am confident HCDFB will have a good season but being a realistic sport fan, any team can be susceptible to a freak loss early in the season, in any division and it doesn't require specific historical evidence to have occurred with the coach. Is it a choke job? Maybe...maybe not. I can say it happens every year. All it takes is the ball hitting the ground a few times, a bad injury, young guys having just a bad game...a bad sack(s)...an oline not ready/gelled yet for protection, etc. That said I think Cuse "should " win their first few games (I am firm on 2-0 going into Clemson) but can sheeeet happen? Yeah and that is sports.

Maybe the Wake game in 2016, but the monsoon conditions and year 1 really take the edge off that.

Monsoon? How bout hurricane? We were there.

Who are these “fans” that you speak of?
I think your question implies a scenario that simply doesn’t exist, except for the negatoids who always expect the worst, and then gleefully tell us why they were right all along.
Can we lose? Sure. But I’d rather be the team that’s targeted, since that usually means we’re very good. JMHO

I think Babers is a great coach, especially for SU. He's the right guy at the right time. And I would be very surprised if he isn't successful in the intermediate term. He already has the ship going in the right direction.

But, to me there's just a little too much optimism about the upcoming season. And optimism is fine, except when things don't work out and people start expressing their extreme disappointment as if they were promised the outcome they had believed was going to happen. I get the sense that there are those on here that think 10-2 is the floor on their 2019 expectations.

SU won two overtime games last year, one in double overtime. Both those games, Pitt and UNC. could have gone the other way and we could have been 4-4 in the conference and not 6-2.

If anyone was thinking "We had it all along" at the end of the UNC game, I wonder about their being grounded in reality.

We have a fan base laden with negatoids and self-proclaimed coaching experts all dying for the opportunity to say, "Yeah. I told you so." and "I would have kicked the field goal and put the points on the board instead of going for it."

Sure as Hell, SU is going to get upset occasionally. It's a certainty that we aren't going to play well some games. Sometimes guys on other teams are going to have career games against SU. It just happens.

Could we go 9-2 again in the regular season? Absolutely. Is it possible we go 7-4. Yup! How about 6-5? Impossible?

Just to be clear, I am pretty sure OP is extrapolating based on my comment in the schedule thread about Maryland game that I am somehow worried about choking. Im not.

The question was "what is the most important game". I didnt even say Maryland was. What I said though was that this game is "up there". Not because i think we will lose, but just because it is a road power 5 game, which are rarely "easy", and it comes the week before what we are all hoping (and at this point counting on) being the largest on campus game in decades.

That being said, I dont expect us to lose. But I also dont think we are good enough yet to assume any road power 5 game is a slam dunk rollover (and I think HCDB is good enough and smart enough not to).

I think Babers is a great coach, especially for SU. He's the right guy at the right time. And I would be very surprised if he isn't successful in the intermediate term. He already has the ship going in the right direction.

But, to me there's just a little too much optimism about the upcoming season. And optimism is fine, except when things don't work out and people start expressing their extreme disappointment as if they were promised the outcome they had believed was going to happen. I get the sense that there are those on here that think 10-2 is the floor on their 2019 expectations.

SU won two overtime games last year, one in double overtime. Both those games, Pitt and UNC. could have gone the other way and we could have been 4-4 in the conference and not 6-2.

If anyone was thinking "We had it all along" at the end of the UNC game, I wonder about their being grounded in reality.

We have a fan base laden with negatoids and self-proclaimed coaching experts all dying for the opportunity to say, "Yeah. I told you so." and "I would have kicked the field goal and put the points on the board instead of going for it."

Sure as Hell, SU is going to get upset occasionally. It's a certainty that we aren't going to play well some games. Sometimes guys on other teams are going to have career games against SU. It just happens.

Could we go 9-2 again in the regular season? Absolutely. Is it possible we go 7-4. Yup! How about 6-5? Impossible?
Only won 1 OT game, we lost to Pitt

Not to nitpick, but we lost to Pitt...

We lost the PItt game but you make some valid points.

From what I've seen on here most of the fans are actually grounded and understand that the "floor" is not 10 wins and the expectation is around 8 wins.
Will most fans be disappointed or upset if we don't reach 8 wins, yes they should be.
We have the system in place and it's finally being fully supported to get to bowl games each year and sniff championship games from time to time.
Going to be fun ride but we might see some small bumps in the road.

Good post. If we stay healthy i can clearly see a 7 or greater win season. For the first time in a very long time i believe that we have a solid chance to beat every team we play this year. Teams like Louisville, Maryland, NCS, Pittsburgh, BC, Wake also have the talent to beat us if we dont bring our A game. 10-2 would be phenomenal but its going to take everything these guys have got including a few good bounces.

I think the problem is that we are snake bit. This goes back to Paul Paqualoni. Every year he had at least one and maybe two What games under him. Rutgers in 1999 is a great example. If memory serves me after we blew out a good Wisconsin team in the Kickoff Classic, didn't we lose back to back games? We should never have lost to Ohio State in the Dome and certainly never to East Carolina.

We finaly have a good coach who I believe prepares his team and seems to be a pretty good game day coach. With that said, we can still have a What game as with Middle Tennessee State. Of course, maybe it wasn't, as they had some pretty good talent at the time.

coach can only control how the team is prepared.. cant control dropping a punt.

still i dont think the talent gap is that large vs liberty , we play well we win, we dont its gets dicey
Liberty can't "win" the game. They can't do enough positive things to win the game on their own, even at home. The real question to consider is whether SU can do enough negative things to lose.

What in HCDB's history makes fans think he will have What The &^% games? (Be real with this one, every coach will have one at least every now and then, just use fair analysis)

I think you just answered your own question.

Question: "What in HCDB's history makes fans think he will have a What the !@#$ game?"
Answer: "Every coach has one every now and then."

Dino falls under the umbrella of "every coach" therefore he is capable of having a What the !@#$ game.

Just to be clear, I am pretty sure OP is extrapolating based on my comment in the schedule thread about Maryland game that I am somehow worried about choking.

To be sure, your comment was one of several along the lines of concern about the season. We are all Orange fans and each has a right to their opinion and on the sire are free to express their opinion. (Hat tip to the excellent mods that keep this site sane while having diverse opinions, and hat tip to the posters that generally keep things respectable, far more than we can say about many other sports fan sites!)

The OP is more about justifying their position, not simply anecdotal, cherry picking, blind side shots at the program. I get that everyone has been burned before. I have been a fan since my dad introduced me to SU sports back in the 1970's, I, too, have been burned. What specifically makes the skeptics skeptic about HCDB and this team?

To be sure, your comment was one of several along the lines of concern about the season. We are all Orange fans and each has a right to their opinion and on the sire are free to express their opinion. (Hat tip to the excellent mods that keep this site sane while having diverse opinions, and hat tip to the posters that generally keep things respectable, far more than we can say about many other sports fan sites!)

The OP is more about justifying their position, not simply anecdotal, cherry picking, blind side shots at the program. I get that everyone has been burned before. I have been a fan since my dad introduced me to SU sports back in the 1970's, I, too, have been burned. What specifically makes the skeptics skeptic about HCDB and this team?

He has a losing record as head coach here.