Why is he picking on Griffin??? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Why is he picking on Griffin???

LOL!! Looking at this commercial all these years later, what the hell did Mr. Wipple think he was squeezing?? Looks like a straight up creep!

We can debate on Bras and Jesse...Im more than happy to see both ways.

personally, I’m not on Kadary. The proof is in the pudding. The numbers are the numbers. The defense will slag off him nonsense. The spacing arguments.

He should have gotten the 2nd most mins on the team at the guard position.

is what it is. I’m thrilled we’re at where we are at now. hope the ride continues

Just wait until we lose.

The noobs will be coming out of the woodwork.
I don’t think we’re going too. I gotta feeling we’re going to be cutting down the nets!!! Crazy year and I like how we are playing!!!

I’ll preface this by saying I’ve never been a big Boeheim fan. Buddy...most definitely, Jim, definitely NOT. I always hear the other coaches talk about what a great guy Boeheim is. Ok, so why does this “great guy” berate his players on the sideline in front of everybody and embarrass them? It could easily be done in the LR and avoid the public humiliation.

But the main point of this post is to ask WHY IS HE PUNISHING and NOT PLAYING Alan Griffin? It’s astonishing. This is a guy who was second on the team in scoring, second in rebounding, first in blocks (by a wide margin), and averaged 1.2 steals a game. He’s also the most athletic player on the team who can jump out of his sneakers every night he’s on the floor. Can someone please tell me why Griff isn’t being given a chance to get even warmed up before he unceremoniously gets pulled at around the 15:00-16:00 mark in each of the last 4 halves they’ve played?? This is a VERY GOOD basketball player. He doesn’t deserve this kind of crap treatment by the coach. He deserves a chance to play his minutes as a starting junior on this team. No player of Griffin’s caliber should be yanked that early. Boeheim seems to pick a player every game to unload on. It was Joe, frequently, during most of the season...and I guess it’s Griffin’s turn right now. I just don’t like to see a player that good get berated and have his minutes more than cut in half. Is he TRYING to get Griffin to transfer again? He’s doing a great job of possibly getting Griffin to want to leave in my opinion.
First, because he's the coach and your not and Griffin the player has done something or not done something that he's supposed to do and gets told what Jim wants and sits him. He's been doing the same thing for 45 years no matter who the player is and how much talent he has. You cannot be thin skinned playing college sports at this level. Griffin knows what he's going to get before he leaves the court and what Jim expects before he goes on. It's how you play the position and how you play the game to win that matters.

I’m curious if you ever played sports, not a knock to you but just curious. It’s not something that one day you’re not capable and a week later you take over the minutes for the first or second best scorer of your team.
D-1 caliber soccer player back in the day (recruited, and committed, to play for SU back when they were an NCAA tournament team - long story as to why I never played)
Also played lax in HS

Like I said above, I think Edwards is very hit or miss but may have progressed to the point where JB is willing to take a chance and see how he plays. However, I can see why JB may not have wanted to take a chance on playing him earlier.

Braswell/Griffin is harder. I am wondering if it is health-related rather than performance-related as, to me, unless there was some massive improvement in a short period of time, Braswell has been ready to play for some time. I think I remember JB saying something about Braswell having issues with his knees earlier in the season.

Since this thread exists, I'll chime in on a JB shortcoming that simply makes me shake my head. During the WVA post game presser, he made a comment again about how Jesse is "not ready" and really struggled with the physicality of the game/WVA's personnel. Even commenting how on a play he just got pushed right out the way, etc. Then goes right to complimenting MD and how "our offense runs through him." Okay, fine, different point, but how many times have we seen MD get push out of the way or simply abused down low by other opponent's quality bigs?

Jesse has obviously contributed during our late season push. Why is it so difficult for JB to say in this instance, Jesse struggled a bit, and he needs to keep working, get stronger, etc. so that he can help us on a more consistent basis? It's as if he's hell bent on being "right" about his "not ready" position from the fan base static, that he is very well aware of. Just ask the UNC bigs what they said about Jesse after we beat them in the Dome the last week of the season. A far cry in their opinion of being true, at least in that game. Again, consistency is what JB's focus should be...at least in his public pressers. Just my $.02.

Edit: Cuseregular, I was in the process of typing my post prior to seeing your post above. Similar trains of thought on Edwards. :)
reverse psychology for other teams scouting...he really wants to downplay jesse and kadary so they are as minimal as possible in the other teams' gameplans imo...but we ll know how big they are to this teams success

he comes across very transparent and direct but there is also a bit of gamesmanship in some of his comments...at least a bit more to it than it appears at times, imo

The Tyler Roberson situation alone is enough evidence that he isn’t a master.
not really - it's merely evidence that JB's method doesn't ALWAYS work
does the exception prove the rule?

D-1 caliber soccer player back in the day (recruited, and committed, to play for SU back when they were an NCAA tournament team - long story as to why I never played)
Also played lax in HS

Like I said above, I think Edwards is very hit or miss but may have progressed to the point where JB is willing to take a chance and see how he plays. However, I can see why JB may not have wanted to take a chance on playing him earlier.

Braswell/Griffin is harder. I am wondering if it is health-related rather than performance-related as, to me, unless there was some massive improvement in a short period of time, Braswell has been ready to play for some time. I think I remember JB saying something about Braswell having issues with his knees earlier in the season.
Yes, Braswell definitely had some health issues last season and earlier this season that likely hindered his development.

2nd post in 3 years - this must be quite the pressing matter for you
Benny Hill as a baby in a large playpen spits out a mouthful off pea soup. "This pea soup is TERRIBLE!", baby Bennie says. "Baby, Baby! you can talk!" gushes the parents. "Baby, baby you can talk...BIG DEAL" Says Benny. "But you've never talked before!" Says the parent. "Well, up to now the pea soups been pretty good."

Most coaches want you to challenge their decision not to play you by getting better. The worst thing a player can do is give his coach a reason not to play him. Most coaches make you chase...that's what JB means when he says a guy's not ready or he can do more. AG has given JB more than enough reasons not to play him. If he wants to play, it starts with being in the right place on D and rebounding, rebounding, rebounding. The team is getting plenty of offense without him. Ball movement is better without him. Defense is better without him. The best job he can do to help the team win is rebound. That will make it difficult for JB not to play him.

Last edited:
Oh, so you mean real life for a minuscule percentage of people on the planet. That’s real something
Sorry. I thought the discussion was about dealing with elite basketball players.

Sorry. I thought the discussion was about dealing with elite basketball players.
Yeah, I had deleted the post before I read your response. I’ll just reiterate, elite basketball ain’t real life like you stated in the post I responded to. The implication I got was something very different.

You’re both wrong.

How is one not ready one game then the next 7 games they saved the season?

The proof is in our record.
This is one of the big blind spots of Boeheim's most fevered critics (not saying yer one of em). There's a lot of learning that needs to take place, and no one needs the playing time more than the starting five you're going to depend on at the end of the season.

Sure, playing guys at the far end of the bench would be a good thing for them. But you can do that only by taking PT away from your starting 5-7, which is an insanely stupid thing to do when you have only so much PT to distribute over the course of a season and you know that your starters need more of it to become at all competitive vs the best of opponents in March.

This season, there was a big adjustment to make--as a team--with Sidibe gone. When in doubt, JB ALWAYS goes with experience because he's seen too many games lost in the past because he took a chance on playing the 7th or 8th guy who turned the ball over at a crucial time.

So whenever the game is at all in doubt, the bench guys are not going to play, unless one of them has shown him in practice that he'd be a good risk. That's something Jim decides based on what he's seen. (Unless someone fouls out and he has no choice.)

Now the 'moment' when he decides that the improvement he's seen in a developing player is enough to take a risk on is not an exact science, so what we have is the option of either trusting Boeheim's judgment on when that time is (which has produced the team we see today) or "guess" that his most critical fans are able to see something that Boeheim does not, which I see as laughably presumptuous and utterly without rational justification. That's my opinion.

This is one of the big blind spots of Boeheim's most fevered critics (not saying yer one of em). There's a lot of learning that needs to take place, and no one needs the playing time more than the starting five you're going to depend on at the end of the season.

Sure, playing guys at the far end of the bench would be a good thing for them. But you can do that only by taking PT away from your starting 5-7, which is an insanely stupid thing to do when you have only so much PT to distribute over the course of a season and you know that your starters need more of it to become at all competitive vs the best of opponents in March.

This season, there was a big adjustment to make--as a team--with Sidibe gone. When in doubt, JB ALWAYS goes with experience because he's seen too many games lost in the past because he took a chance on playing the 7th or 8th guy who turned the ball over at a crucial time.

So whenever the game is at all in doubt, the bench guys are not going to play, unless one of them has shown him in practice that he'd be a good risk. That's something Jim decides based on what he's seen. (Unless someone fouls out and he has no choice.)

Now the 'moment' when he decides that the improvement he's seen in a developing player is enough to take a risk on is not an exact science, so what we have is the option of either trusting Boeheim's judgment on when that time is (which has produced the team we see today) or "guess" that his most critical fans are able to see something that Boeheim does not, which I see as laughably presumptuous and utterly without rational justification. That's my opinion.
And many of us would argue he took needed time away from Braswell and Newton early in the year when he moved Buddy to the forward spot.

And many of us would argue he took needed time away from Braswell and Newton early in the year when he moved Buddy to the forward spot.
And was the game at all in doubt when he made that move? (I don't recall) That's the thing for Boeheim...if he thinks there's any chance of the other team mounting a comeback, he'll stick with experienced players. Each win is too precious to him...

I’ll preface this by saying I’ve never been a big Boeheim fan. Buddy...most definitely, Jim, definitely NOT. I always hear the other coaches talk about what a great guy Boeheim is. Ok, so why does this “great guy” berate his players on the sideline in front of everybody and embarrass them? It could easily be done in the LR and avoid the public humiliation.

But the main point of this post is to ask WHY IS HE PUNISHING and NOT PLAYING Alan Griffin? It’s astonishing. This is a guy who was second on the team in scoring, second in rebounding, first in blocks (by a wide margin), and averaged 1.2 steals a game. He’s also the most athletic player on the team who can jump out of his sneakers every night he’s on the floor. Can someone please tell me why Griff isn’t being given a chance to get even warmed up before he unceremoniously gets pulled at around the 15:00-16:00 mark in each of the last 4 halves they’ve played?? This is a VERY GOOD basketball player. He doesn’t deserve this kind of crap treatment by the coach. He deserves a chance to play his minutes as a starting junior on this team. No player of Griffin’s caliber should be yanked that early. Boeheim seems to pick a player every game to unload on. It was Joe, frequently, during most of the season...and I guess it’s Griffin’s turn right now. I just don’t like to see a player that good get berated and have his minutes more than cut in half. Is he TRYING to get Griffin to transfer again? He’s doing a great job of possibly getting Griffin to want to leave in my opinion.
Jim wants to win games. Alan wants NBA scouts to notice him.

It sounds like you haven't actually been watching the games.

What I've seen is Jim calmly talking to Alan on the sidelines explaining what he needs to do to improve his game within the team concept and Alan listening with an appreciative look on his face. The other indication that you haven't actually been watching the games is the number of times Alan drives into the lane only to get his shot blocked or make a bad pass.

Alan has some great basketball skills. He can be a great shooter with unlimited range. He's very athletic and has a high motor. But he's not helping the team in a way that's crucial at this time of the year on defense. IF Alan is shooting the lights out immediately, JB will tolerate his negatives, but if he's not making his shot, Jim's gonna put in Robert who is equally adept at hitting threes AND is solid in making the zone work. (the zone is a collective machine that works optimally when all the pieces are working together.)

Alan has a lot going for him, but there are some holes in his game that he needs to improve on in order to succeed on the next level. He's got to be able to drive into the paint without turning the ball over. When he figures that out, he'll not only secure his future, he'll also force Boeheim to play him a lot.

If you were actually paying attention, you'd notice that 1) Defense is SUPREMELY important in the NCAAT, and that 2) Jim Boeheim is such a fantastic coach, your bizarre perceptions of him are utterly unimportant to him and such fans as myself. If you really have a problem with Boeheim, you really should look for another team to be a fan of.

That's my opinion.
You might say that the OP’s sentiments are inconsequential. I know JB would.

And was the game at all in doubt when he made that move? (I don't recall) That's the thing for Boeheim...if he thinks there's any chance of the other team mounting a comeback, he'll stick with experienced players. Each win is too precious to him...
except in the ACC and NCAA tourney when it ACTUALLY matters?

This makes zero sense

theres a reason why Kadary and Bras were in at the end of the game vs WVU and not Joe and Alan and it had nothing to do with experience

except in the ACC and NCAA tourney when it ACTUALLY matters?

This makes zero sense

theres a reason why Kadary and Bras were in at the end of the game vs WVU and not Joe and Alan and it had nothing to do with experience
No. Check the post I was responding to. It specifically mentioned "early in the year."

If Alan is smart and mature enough he will realize this. Only one guy (BJ Johnson) transferred that actually made an okay decision basketball wise and maybe improved his stock. Most of the other guys that transferred just were not the high P5 basketball stars they thought they were ordained to be. That's ok, if you aren't good enough and don't want to be a career sub for the Cuse, then going to another school might be right for you.

I was happy to see Alan was a good teammate at the game on Sunday. So maybe he gets it.
Richard Manning? Keith Hughes? Eral Duncan? Bob Lazor? All of those guys improved their stock. Manning had a cup of coffee in the NBA. In the transfer in transfer out dept., we are big winners. But guys have left who did very well at their next stop.

Also played lax in HS

What year. I recommended a player to Shattuck that went to syracuse and is the single season all time scorer to this day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom