Why is he picking on Griffin??? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Why is he picking on Griffin???

D-1 caliber soccer player back in the day (recruited, and committed, to play for SU back when they were an NCAA tournament team - long story as to why I never played)
Also played lax in HS

Like I said above, I think Edwards is very hit or miss but may have progressed to the point where JB is willing to take a chance and see how he plays. However, I can see why JB may not have wanted to take a chance on playing him earlier.

Braswell/Griffin is harder. I am wondering if it is health-related rather than performance-related as, to me, unless there was some massive improvement in a short period of time, Braswell has been ready to play for some time. I think I remember JB saying something about Braswell having issues with his knees earlier in the season.
I know this thread is about AG, but when you commented on Jesse I remembered something. After he got elbowed in the mouth the other day and was being tended to, he looked pissed. Like he was ready to go out there and give some back. I'm thinking he might be more assertive on the court this next game.

Last edited:
Richard Manning? Keith Hughes? Eral Duncan? Bob Lazor? All of those guys improved their stock. Manning had a cup of coffee in the NBA. In the transfer in transfer out dept., we are big winners. But guys have left who did very well at their next stop.
Earl and Keith are a push at best. They were on track at SU to get drafted. Richard Manning and Bobby Lazor you might be able to say they improved their stock. The thing is all four were playing at SU...they weren't being "Boeheimed".

I’ve been working for 26 years professionally. I’ve never had a boss degrade me in a press conference or scream at me the way jb does to some of his players.

Not sure what real life you’re living
He is a COACH. Maybe not your boss. However, we are judged in life, sometimes very harshly, based upon our performance professionally and personally. Need proof? Look at the comments being made about Boeheim. He doesn’t care? His son does. We’re you in a ge military? Did you play competitive sports?

Earl and Keith are a push at best. They were on track at SU to get drafted. Richard Manning and Bobby Lazor you might be able to say they improved their stock. The thing is all four were playing at SU...they weren't being "Boeheimed".
Hughes was on track to get drafted out of Syracuse? He never even played. He became player of the year in the Atlantic conference. Earl would have helped us at Syracuse but we were recruiting over him and he didn't know we would not get Kenny Anderson. Manning and Lazor clearly improved their stock.

Hughes was on track to get drafted out of Syracuse? He never even played. He became player of the year in the Atlantic conference. Earl would have helped us at Syracuse but we were recruiting over him and he didn't know we would not get Kenny Anderson. Manning and Lazor clearly improved their stock.
Would’ve been interesting to see what Lazor would’ve done in 96-97 if he stayed. Winfred Walton must’ve scared him off, but we know how that went.

97 team probably makes the tourney with Lazor.

I’ve been working for 26 years professionally. I’ve never had a boss degrade me in a press conference or scream at me the way jb does to some of his players.

Not sure what real life you’re living
How many press conferences has your boss held in the last 26 years regarding your performance at work? :rolleyes:

I’ve seen JB defend and praise his players to the press. “Not ten games” - remember that? He told Melo he loved him. It’s not all negative with JB.

He says what is on his mind and I’m sure its consistent with what he says to players in private. In fact that seems to be what the OP is partly concerned about but being consistent and honest are critical leadership traits. We’re fortunate JB is this way, I couldn’t take it if he was like Dino in how he handled the press.

He is a COACH. Maybe not your boss. However, we are judged in life, sometimes very harshly, based upon our performance professionally and personally. Need proof? Look at the comments being made about Boeheim. He doesn’t care? His son does. We’re you in a ge military? Did you play competitive sports?
I really need dmdmd’s gif for this.

Since this thread exists, I'll chime in on a JB shortcoming that simply makes me shake my head. During the WVA post game presser, he made a comment again about how Jesse is "not ready" and really struggled with the physicality of the game/WVA's personnel. Even commenting how on a play he just got pushed right out the way, etc. Then goes right to complimenting MD and how "our offense runs through him." Okay, fine, different point, but how many times have we seen MD get push out of the way or simply abused down low by other opponent's quality bigs?

Jesse has obviously contributed during our late season push. Why is it so difficult for JB to say in this instance, Jesse struggled a bit, and he needs to keep working, get stronger, etc. so that he can help us on a more consistent basis? It's as if he's hell bent on being "right" about his "not ready" position from the fan base static, that he is very well aware of. Just ask the UNC bigs what they said about Jesse after we beat them in the Dome the last week of the season. A far cry in their opinion of being true, at least in that game. Again, consistency is what JB's focus should be...at least in his public pressers. Just my $.02.

Edit: Cuseregular, I was in the process of typing my post prior to seeing your post above. Similar trains of thought on Edwards. :)
As good a father as JB is he is terribly insecure. The more he tries to drive home a point the more obvious he becomes. Its not a strong suit of his.

I think Griffin has really hurt himself with some very stupid plays or lack of playmaking especially on D throughout these last 7-8 games or so but it is also hard knowing that one mistake and your are done for the half. This kid was an all league honorable mention and to keep advancing we are eventually going to need him. Braswell has been great overall and deserves the PT but there were a few times on Sunday where he was just totally exhausted (probably from not playing many minutes until the last 1/3 of the season) and I was hoping JB would put in Alan to give Braswell a break. I'd say he is showing him the door for next year but if roster turnover is what JB is suggesting for next year we will need a couple transfers with only one freshman coming in and if I was a kid looking to transfer I'd certainly look at Griffin and think if I go to SU that might be me next year. I hope we see more AG on Saturday (maybe 20 minutes each for Griffin and Braswell) as he can single handily win a game for us as he did a few times this season. Go SU!

What year. I recommended a player to Shattuck that went to syracuse and is the single season all time scorer to this day.
LOL...you introduced Vitale to Shattuck?

He was a senior my senior year of high school.

They had a really good team that year.

LOL...you introduced Vitale to Shattuck?

He was a senior my senior year of high school.

They had a really good team that year.
No. That was '83 with Vitale I believe. Greg Kolodziey set the single season goal mark in 1986. Koldoziey and Garrett and Pappas had the misfortune of playing for the guy that replaced Alden for two years.

Whenever there is a long, protracted discussion about how JB uses players, I always think of Michael Edwards, a jitterbug guard in the late 80s/early 90s who was going to be the next Sherman Douglas. (As if!) Edwards was a likable player as a fan, lots of energy and desire. But over his four year career he went from playing a lot as a Freshman, to less and less time as David Johnson and Adrian Autry and eventually Mike Hopkins developed and started over him.

I always felt bad for Edwards because he seemed to have so much potential, but the pieces never seemed to click in place. And if you saw Johnson or Autry or Hopkins you might understand the uphill battle Edwards faced. But JB stayed with him as long as he could, redefining his role, seemingly hoping to make it work, until it didn’t.

Interestingly enough, when I started to write this, I googled Edwards and found this article. Michael Edwards
In it he is asked “What would he have done differently?” His response is that he would have listened more to what his coach, Jim Boeheim was telling him. This is a kid who on the surface would have every reason to be bitter about how his career worked out at SU, yet he essentially praises JB for being the guy who was trying to help him. He was just too young or stubborn to listen.

I suspect JB knows what he’s doing. He sees the big picture. We as fans see games and snapshots. I think it’s fine to question whether JB is missing something or not. But in general, I would say he is ten miles down the road from where we view his team.

Whenever there is a long, protracted discussion about how JB uses players, I always think of Michael Edwards, a jitterbug guard in the late 80s/early 90s who was going to be the next Sherman Douglas. (As if!) Edwards was a likable player as a fan, lots of energy and desire. But over his four year career he went from playing a lot as a Freshman, to less and less time as David Johnson and Adrian Autry and eventually Mike Hopkins developed and started over him.

I always felt bad for Edwards because he seemed to have so much potential, but the pieces never seemed to click in place. And if you saw Johnson or Autry or Hopkins you might understand the uphill battle Edwards faced. But JB stayed with him as long as he could, redefining his role, seemingly hoping to make it work, until it didn’t.

Interestingly enough, when I started to write this, I googled Edwards and found this article. Michael Edwards
In it he is asked “What would he have done differently?” His response is that he would have listened more to what his coach, Jim Boeheim was telling him. This is a kid who on the surface would have every reason to be bitter about how his career worked out at SU, yet he essentially praises JB for being the guy who was trying to help him. He was just too young or stubborn to listen.

I suspect JB knows what he’s doing. He sees the big picture. We as fans see games and snapshots. I think it’s fine to question whether JB is missing something or not. But in general, I would say he is ten miles down the road from where we view his team.

problem with society is we want people to be open and unfiltered with their opinions. Boeheim is that. People then fault him for having an open opinion on these things. You can't have it both ways. He's not good with coach speak.

I think the sensitivity of society has really become a major issue. Bob Knight was similar to Boeheim where he spoke his mind. He was obviously a more abusive character who couldn't control his emotions at all but these guys come from a different time where they give their opinions and don't care what people think. Ultimately it's the players who benefit (or not) from what the coach is saying to them man 2 man (pun intended).

Interesting. My recollection (if it serves me correctly) was that we signed Edwards as a major Plan B after going all in and missing out on Kenny Anderson. Anderson was going to obviously start at the point his freshman year had he come to SU, and who knows where he would've led us, perhaps another FF was destined.

As a result of that monumental miss, Stevie Thompson ran the point initially that year (his senior year) and Edwards came off the bench until eventually JB came to terms that Stevie simply was not and could not be successfully converted to point guard. Adrian Autry came the following year and Edwards was moved to shooting guard, all 5'9" of him. Albeit quick as you mentioned, I think his struggles had more to do with his size and his inability (lack of skill set) to do any one thing extremely well. I never looked at him as a player that didn't live up to expectations or reach his full potential as much as I saw him having a limited ceiling. At least that's my recollection...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom