Why is it that... | Syracusefan.com

Why is it that...

QManCuse

Walk On
of all the teams that have committed serious violations, for example, Louisville, N. Carolina, Kansas, UConn, Arizona, USC, Duke, etc., etc., why is it that the only measurable penalty from the NCAA was against us for a relatively minor infraction of a term paper and a couple innocent YMCA jobs. Our coach has had 101 wins taken off his resume while these other schools continuously delay proceedings until the issue is forgotten. I know this has been discussed before, but I really believe that our newspaper should editorialize this until some attention is brought and those wins are reinstated. The severity of the charges against these other institutions scream out for some sort of punishment and we just sit there and feel the lasting sting of our minor violations. Can't believe the national media has ignored our plight.

of all the teams that have committed serious violations, for example, Louisville, N. Carolina, Kansas, UConn, Arizona, USC, Duke, etc., etc., why is it that the only measurable penalty from the NCAA was against us for a relatively minor infraction of a term paper and a couple innocent YMCA jobs. Our coach has had 101 wins taken off his resume while these other schools continuously delay proceedings until the issue is forgotten. I know this has been discussed before, but I really believe that our newspaper should editorialize this until some attention is brought and those wins are reinstated. The severity of the charges against these other institutions scream out for some sort of punishment and we just sit there and feel the lasting sting of our minor violations. Can't believe the national media has ignored our plight.

The simple answer is that the NCAA is arbitrary and capricious, and the penalties they impose are not tied to precedent.

The more difficult angle is that the NCAA has ALWAYS selectively chosen who to go after, and how hard they penalize for even similar infractions.

We got raked over the coals, for a bunch of minor stuff [both times]. In both cases, the NCAA added up a bunch of fairly small stuff, and concluded that 1+1+1... = 13, and punished us accordingly. Agree with Brook03 above -- the object lesson is to never cooperate, and never disclose -- because the NCAA can't be trusted to be fair, nor to penalize similarly for similar orders of magnitude.

Now, if Lousiville, Kansas, Arizona, and others get off with a slap on the wrist, then it will be a sign that the NCAA is completely ineffectual as a governing body. The evidence already decidedly points to that conclusion anyway.

The fact JB got docked those wins is disgusting.

The Bernie absolute nonsense slander stuff didn’t help was in the middle of everything and right after pedo states egregious behavior broke. Even tho Bernie couldn’t have been more innocent of doing ‘that’ I think that’s why.

Sandusky did everything he was accused of Paterno knew. Bernie did zero which was pretty much proven. But once it makes the news. The powers that be dug deep on the Fine scandal.

Sucks

Speaking of scandals, as best I can tell Bernie Fine was fired because he is gay. Maybe I missed something but it seems like that was the extent of what was found in that whole mess.

Other thing is how hard the school is.

I took writing 105 very seriously because I sat with 2 really hot girls in that class. They are the most perfect humans you’ll ever meet creep professor only gave them B+. I got a C-

In high school there was a city wide creative writing contest that was mandatory. I came #2 out of 1000 or so entries. I had to read it at city hall plaza and then listen to the winners story be way worse. Mine was fire it was about a traveler through the Ural Mountains and every super competitive kid was in awe I got that silver medal reward. I tried hard in writing 105 for a C minus. 205 I transferred in from community college BC SU was so hard. I knew not to touch 205 with a 10 foot pole and do the CC thing.

And they warn every freshmen that class is tough and no joke but everyone has to take it.

Of course Fab Melo an ESL student needs his tutor you joking.

SU is really hard unless you cherry pick a weak major. And those professors loved to slam you with a terrible grade. They slammed athletes with Fs all the time. Who went and were there every day.

You know what courses at SU we’re also stupidly difficult hours of reading and crazy hard professors. 100 level AFAM studies. Not many athletes in it. ‘Uh I better drop this I’m looking at a D at best.’

But yeah this is not Clemson. The professors carry a grudge vs athletes more than you think.

Frankie I dont mean to stop your roll here but I’m pretty sure you are just describing the plot to Finding Forrester.

SU is very hard academically and didn’t give athletes the preferential pass you’d think they would get. From my experience. Mid 2000s things might have changed. But I knew them all asked what they got in the course after. No freebies.

If this is about why did we get slammed by the NCAA student athletes during my time there were held to the rigors of everyone else. Yea maybe they had a tutor so what they still had to do the work. Just trying to add many we’re teetering and from my experience they were in clsss and cared and still got whacked with bad grades.

Last edited:
Also those guys worked a full time job 30 hours of practice traveling to games. There was no no shows they were there in class every day. I knew a lot of them there was none of that nonsense.

SU is a great education toughens you up but I sure as hell wasnt working a full time job like them during it.

Seriously though every student athlete I was in class with took it seriously any idea that they just played hoops and chilled is absolute nonsense.

Last edited:
I mean honestly I was there for 4 years. I didn’t see one example of a student athlete getting it easy. Or special accommodations.

None. Pretty much everyone went through the same thing everyone else did.

They also didn’t come through a social economical background like me from a top MA public school and all that.

I mean I was thrilled HS prepared me for that cause it was way harder. They didn’t have that.

Add on the job of being an athlete.

Sucks professors gave them no breaks from my first hand knowledge of fellow students and their grades. GPAs wouldn’t have been good.

Meanwhile at UNC...

Sorry for the long winded posts but trust me when UNC was sticking Sean May in fake classes we were a 180 degree polar opposite. To answer the OP. That’s a huge reason why.

And back to Penn St.

Paterno ran that state he was mob connected and more powerful than their governor. He honestly was. And he let sandusky do that.

JB is barely top 10 influential faculty at SU.

He just coaches basketball.

The truth in life is that when you are accused of something fight back. SU turtle shelled and allowed themselves to be beat down, and I'm sorry but knowing some folks that taught there and knowing parents who have had kids play there - SU helps the athletes. Not to the extent that UNC and others do, but let's not put too many coats of ivory on our tower.

Players get paid by boosters, sneaker companies, etc. Maybe some "players" at the NCAA also get paid to look the other way or reduce the scope of their "wheelhouse".

In my opinion we were hit so hard because we deliberately cheated to ensure a top player was going to play. Shoe companies paying players ... that's so easy to deny having knowledge of for the program/coach.

I believe our punishment was too severe of course because we did self report but there's no way we weren't getting penalized for that.

As sleazy as it is - we should never have reported and took our chances.

And back to Penn St.

Paterno ran that state he was mob connected and more powerful than their governor. He honestly was. And he let sandusky do that.

JB is barely top 10 influential faculty at SU.

He just coaches basketball.
It's sickening how much power Paterno had and like I said before I hope he is rotting in hell right now but jb is more influential than your making him out to be. No way there is none more people at su with more influence.

A lot of these schools (UNC especially) looked at how the NCAA approached the Syracuse case and tailored their defenses to prevent the same results.

Syracuse was the precedent. Everyone adapted accordingly.

Genius move by UNC really. Offer BS classes to every student and you have no issue for your players

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom