Why is Jesse continually fouling out? | Syracusefan.com

Why is Jesse continually fouling out?

M

Manleymen

Defense 101 - don’t reach - and go straight up when the guy you cover shoots. Especially with his height and length. He blocks a lot of shots which is great. You’re 7 feet tall they have to shoot over you. An altered shot without fouling is just as good as a block. Who is responsible for this improvement with Jesse? It should be a priority And easily correctable. More Jesse on the court = a higher possibility of SU winning.

It seems to me that his problem is that he THINKS he's going straight up, but oftentimes he'll move to guard the guy with the ball and bring his arms over the top anticipating a shot. When the guy jumps up there is contact and the refs call that every time.

It seems to me that his problem is that he THINKS he's going straight up, but oftentimes he'll move to guard the guy with the ball and bring his arms over the top anticipating a shot. When the guy jumps up there is contact and the refs call that every time.
Good point. Has to be a drill to fix that. Or sprints.

Defense 101 - don’t reach - and go straight up when the guy you cover shoots. Especially with his height and length. He blocks a lot of shots which is great. You’re 7 feet tall they have to shoot over you. An altered shot without fouling is just as good as a block. Who is responsible for this improvement with Jesse? It should be a priority And easily correctable. More Jesse on the court = a higher possibility of SU winning.
For two of his fouls last night, he did exactly that. He’s got a bit of a reputation I fear. Next year he’ll get the benefit of the doubt.

He learned the game in Europe...
They don't have the 6'10" 230 lb guys bulling their way to the basket.
Everybody is pulling up for jumpers.
Marek was the same way...
Then he should stand his ground for a charge or two. I would take that over the reaching fouls. Brings up another point about working on his footwork.

Still a little awkward. We should have a better backup anyways a player like Edwards should be expected to pick up 4-5 fouls over 30 minutes of play. There is a reason you don't get 2 free throws in 20 mins of basketball until the team commits 10 fouls.

He’s still learning the game.

That and our other starters not named Cole are some of the worst defenders this programs ever granted considerable minutes too.

I give Jesse a pass, its not laziness. He just needs to learn to be smart rather than act on instinct.

Because no one else is good on defense is the main reason

Yeah and to expand on it, it's because he's guarding a zone, and not a man, he generally has to react to where the ball is coming from and that results in lot of reaching or moving towards the offensive player. Also he's supposed to block shots. If he misses on a swat, he's going to get an arm or a face or shoulder.

Jesse is far from the most foul-prone center at SU. Chukwu, Sidibe, Rak (non-senior year), Coleman, BMK among others were similar or worse.

Rule #1 conflicts with Rule #2: Don't think, react.

It'll take time to fix his natural reaction.

Young centers are notoriously picking up bad fouls. If JB would have given him more then a couple minutes a game last year (like he should have) he would be smarter about it this year.

I agree most of it is on Jesse, but it also seems to me he now has the rep of fouling guys and that at least one or two borderline calls go against him every game.

I'm reminded of Leo Rautins who picked up a couple fouls a game by draping his arms over the offensive player. He was always incredulous that it was called and seemed absolutely sure he had his arms straight up. He should have watched some film because he almost never defended with his arms straight up.

I think his fourth foul had absolutely no contact between the two players (I think it was #4). Ref anticipation is a factor in maybe 10-20% of his fouls.
40% (that's 2 fouls for non-math people :) ) of his fouls on Sat. against Wake resulted from no contact as well.

I think his fourth foul had absolutely no contact between the two players (I think it was #4). Ref anticipation is a factor in maybe 10-20% of his fouls.
I think the zone handicaps us with fouls. If you watched Pitt play man, they had hands on SU players all game and pushed and poked SU players without a foul being called. Both Buddy and Swider were almost shoved out of bounds at the baseline multiple times with no fouls called. But SU plays D off the ball and when they rush to the offensive player, any contact or potential contact is called a foul.

Noticed this on a small sample size early in the season, he's been extremely foul prone. Hard to keep him on the floor for the duration the team needs his presence IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom