Why Paterno Was Morally & Ethically Right Not To Go Further | Syracusefan.com

Why Paterno Was Morally & Ethically Right Not To Go Further

I'm constantly astonished by watching people rationalize all of this. It's insane.

So many stupid people and this guy is suppose to be a lawyer?. OK, lets say he did the right thing and went to his boss in that ONE incident in 2002. That's not the point, the point is before and after that he allowed the guy around the program with little kids in tow blah blah blah the same things we have all said 100X. These idiots are trying to give him an out of jail card because in one specific incident he may have been LEGALLY right.

That place can't endure enough pain.

So many stupid people and this guy is suppose to be a lawyer?. OK, lets say he did the right thing and went to his boss in that ONE incident in 2002. That's not the point, the point is before and after that he allowed the guy around the program with little kids in tow blah blah blah the same things we have all said 100X. These idiots are trying to give him an out of jail card because in one specific incident he may have been LEGALLY right.

That place can't endure enough pain.

The other issue is that they keep using JoePa's nominal place in the hierarchy at PSU, rather than defining how much power he had.

The other issue is that they keep using JoePa's nominal place in the hierarchy at PSU, rather than defining how much power he had.

Very true. Like the guy that covers PSU said the very first day this came out, Paterno doesn't work for Curley or the others, they work for him.

he makes a valid argument, and it seems the media is running away with this side very one sided against paterno's actions

he makes a valid argument, and it seems the media is running away with this side very one sided against paterno's actions

So? He's the only one who hasn't been fired. Along with th GA.

...Paterno is wrong in so many areas...however; from a legal standpoint he actually did his duty. From a moral standpoint I wonder...why at 55 was a defensive coordinator retiring...when he was touted as Paterno's replacement. He retired within one year of an incident...hmmmmmm was that just coincidence. Did the school get him out because they knew...and then if so, why was he allowed use of school facilities. So much going on here...back to the church, back to Nixon, what was know by whom and when...only then can we determine the fate or actions of JoePa

There is a big difference between the media saying he was wrong in a moral sense versus a legal sense.

The guy is not just some guy. He is one of the most powerful college football coaches in the country, one of the most powerful people in PA, and one of the most powerful people at PSU.

Do you think how this situation was dealt with by those that have not been charged (yet) is ok? There is a lot of guilt to go around, but JoePa is PSU football. That is why it is such a big deal and getting so much attention.

He makes no point to the overall picture and the media is also running with the side that says how do you let this monster around your program for 15+ years when you knew he was a child molester/raper?

well the university either thinks he was right in the measures he took or they are willing to let him stay on until the end of the year...personally i think did as much as he could. was it his fault the police didn't do they're job in this situation?

how does pattern know he was a molester though? was he the one that walked in on it in the locker room? no! he was told by a grad assistant and did not witness anything, but i guess we should just believe everything we are told now right?

well the university either thinks he was right in the measures he took or they are willing to let him stay on until the end of the year...personally i think did as much as he could. was it his fault the police didn't do they're job in this situation?

I'm sure the boys that Jerry Sandusky raped after 1998 feel the same way.

JoePa can basically make anything happen at PSU outside of changing the weather.

If you think what he did was as much as he could, then you have a very bizarre version of JoePa's place at PSU.

how does pattern know he was a molester though? was he the one that walked in on it in the locker room? no! he was told by a grad assistant and did not witness anything, but i guess we should just believe everything we are told now right?

dude, you're an su student right? read the rest of the facts then and stop focusing on one incident.

Please tell me that you really aren't a Syracuse student? You truly think he did as much as he could? If so, you're a moron.

Very true. Like the guy that covers PSU said the very first day this came out, Paterno doesn't work for Curley or the others, they work for him.
not in the hierarchy of the legal system---but there will be much more to come

Based on his statement today, not even JoePa thinks he did everything he could. So I think you're probably wrong about that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

How anyone can defend thus guy is crazy to me. Paterno could have stopped it many many times and chose not to, bottom line.

This is just my opinion and gut feeling right now:
I believe after reading a lot of stuff that Paterno knew Sandusky was a pedophile in 98 (possibly even before that) and that's why he forced him to retire in 99. I don't think the 02 incident was shocking to Paterno or the two guys he reported it to because they probably already knew what Sandusky had been up to. "Don't bring kids on campus anymore" translated "Come on Jerry we warned you about this keep it away from the campus". I won't be surprised if we find out the Sandusky is not the only Pedophile connected with the second yard and/or Penn State. I feel we are just scratching the ice on this thing. IMO this will also lead to uncovering many other goings on at Penn State and in Happy Valley that are far from kosher.

Let's forget that this was a coach at a school. Let's pretend this was a teacher at your local school. A substitute teacher walks into the bathroom and catches a student raping another student. The substitute teacher goes and tells a "full-time" teacher. The full-time teacher then goes and tells a principal who does nothing about the situation. The teacher and substitute teacher do nothing else.

Cusestudent - your okay with this. Not a question really because you've already stated that this is okay.

Do you mean the police that weren't told?

Seems like you're taking the opposite position either just to be the guy that goes against the grain, or you're really a Penn State student, not a cuse student. Either way, I don't think you're doing a great job explaining your side. As for your other post, you know that the "grad assistant" is one of Paterno's most trusted assistants right now right? And his recruiting coordinator? You think he only listens to him about football, but is always dismissing his accounts of walking in on child rape in showers?

Anyone that thinks JoePa did everything he could clearly thinks that child molestation isn't that big of a deal.

I will chalk this up to cusestudent being young. The grad student, you know the one, the one that moved from a unpaid job to a paid job shortly after the rape, told Paterno what he saw. Do you know what he saw? Read the Grand Jury indictment. It's brutal. The thing you do is not so much tell the A.D., which you do, but you call the police. The real police. This was not a ncaa violation. This was a crime. The janitor at a later date also saw the same thing. And yet, just last week, Sandusky was in the Penn State weight room. And what is Joepa concerned about, whether he can coach against nebraska this week. Joepa did enough. In your eyes maybe. Not in all those victims eyes. And I hope, not in God's eyes.

Some hack, back-alley attorney trying to make a name for himself on the back of a terrible scandal. Nothing more, nothing less.

--------------------

Key quote from comment by
PSU Student said...

"Let me make one thing clear for you. This is a DIRECT quote from the Grand Jury Report that you say you read:

"Although Schultz oversaw the University Police as part of his position, he never reported
the 2002 incident to the University Police or other police agency, never sought or reviewed a
police report on the 1998 incident and never attempted to learn the identity of the child in the
shower in 2002. No one from the University did so. Schultz did not ask the graduate assistant for
specifics. No one ever did. Schultz expressed surprise upon learning that the l998 investigation
by University Police produced a police report. Schultz said there was never any
discussion between himself and Curley about turning the 2002 incident over to any police
agency. "

Shultz is a BUSINESS MAN charged with over seeing the business and finance decisions of ten University Departments, one of which is the University Police. He plays no role in the enforcement of the law or investigation. Check out this University Police org chart: http://www.police.psu.edu/documents/OrgChart Police & Public Safety.pdf

Where is Shultz in this chart? NO WHERE. Because he is simply oversight, two steps of above the actual director/Chief of Police, Tyrone Parham. This is no better than saying reporting to Spanier is like reporting to the police because he is three steps above the Chief of Police. Give me a break.

Also, contrary to your argument, this report states that, "The graduate assistant was never questioned by University Police and no other entity conducted an investigation until he testified in Grand Jury in December, 2010." This ALSO means that Paterno had NO REASON to believe an investigation was on going."

i am playing devil's advocate here as no one else in the country seems to be doing. i personally feel there is a lot of blame to go around in this situation, including the parents (what parent doesn't see a difference in their child after something like that occurs?). the youth need to be educated that they need to come forward and tell someone when something terrible like this happens or else this stuff will continue. i love joepa, he has been a true icon of this sport and i feel he has been attacked by the media...he looks even more like the villain than sandusky when you look at the espn coverage. yes, he didn't do all he could do in this case, but the media almost makes it seem like he was the one doing all the raping...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom