Why Syracuse will win | Syracusefan.com

Why Syracuse will win

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Having reviewed the roster in my annual preview, I actually think we are bursting with talent at nearly every position- except offensive line and I think, when fully healthy, we will have a decent starting line-up there, (Pat Davis definitely belongs ahead of Elmore). I think lost year was a “Murphy’s law year and that it will be the anomaly year, not 2018, (discount the first two years, aside from the Va Tech and Clemson upsets).

- Loved the way Dino talked about our linebackers on his show this week, even without Tyrell Richards. He thinks they will be a dynamic group, even if they will have a lot to learn. That position should be a significant upgrade over the last couple of seasons.

- The 3-3-5 is supposed to be an aggressive defense and I like that. It should enable us to cover passes very well but also to make big plays on defense. I hate “read and cover”. The good teams don’t wait for things to happen. They make them happen. And we’ve got the athletes on defense to do it.

- UNC was special on offense last season but not on defense. They were 109th against the run, 110 against the pass and 115 overall. There are only 130 teams in FBS. We can do business against these guys. I still remember that 49-47 game…

- Adams and Howard are about to be Pipped by Jawhar Jordan, who could have a Joe Morris-like career here. I’m also looking forward to Courtney Jackson in the slot. Johnson & Johnson better be on their toes.

- Dino clearly thinks Taj Harris is due for a big year after a disappointing sophomore season. That’s what the single digit numbers are about.

- Tommy DeVito owns these guys - 3TDs in the fourth quarter and OT, baby!

- If it comes down to a field goal, we’ve got Andre Szmyt and they don’t.

0-0 and 11(?) to go!

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

Last edited:
So, if Pat Davis definitely belongs in front of Elmore in your opinion, then what? You know more about how our kids practice than our offensive line coach, OC, and Dino?

So, if Pat Davis definitely belongs in front of Elmore in your opinion, then what? You know more about how our kids practice than our offensive line coach, OC, and Dino?

I know Pat has played the position well before and helped solidify our line late last year. Elmore has been a lead blocker in short yardage. Guard is a far more complicated position. The switch was made in the fall. I seriously wonder if putting Chris ahead of Pat was some kind of deception on Dino's part to throw UNC off. We'll find out tomorrow.

I know Pat has played the position well before and helped solidify our line late last year. Elmore has been a lead blocker in short yardage. Guard is a far more complicated position. The switch was made in the fall. I seriously wonder if putting Chris ahead of Pat was some kind of deception on Dino's part to throw UNC off. We'll find out tomorrow.
Nah Dino doesn’t need to do that with a backup guard. He even said so on one of his interviews.

I’ve been wondering this myself. Was there even one game last year where the depth chart was accurate? Why bother now?

Yes, we will see. I think you are mistaken about Patrick Davis. Late in the year, we still had Dakota Davis and Adams at the guard spots. Patrick played mainly on special teams. Elmore has played lead blocker as a true frosh, also TE, some DT - he is a versatile, tough kid, who has more mobility than an average lineman. His deficit, to some, is being shorter than ideal.
How much deception can you accomplish playing with the OG spot?

Yes, we will see. I think you are mistaken about Patrick Davis. Late in the year, we still had Dakota Davis and Adams at the guard spots. Patrick played mainly on special teams. Elmore has played lead blocker as a true frosh, also TE, some DT - he is a versatile, tough kid, who has more mobility than an average lineman. His deficit, to some, is being shorter than ideal.
This is a why Syracuse will win thread

This is a why Syracuse will win thread
Knew that. I think Elmore helps the OL (the OP says otherwise). To win, it comes down to Devito making major improvements, Jordan being the real deal, one or more WRs being a surprise upgrade (Queeley?). And positive outcomes on turnovers.

1aabeatNCx687TIwMXru0.gif

2019 Stats: Davis played in nine games last season. He was part of the FG/PAT blocking unit and also saw time for 68 offensive snaps playing both guard and tackle. Davis had five knockdown blocks last year.

2019 Stats: Davis played in nine games last season. He was part of the FG/PAT blocking unit and also saw time for 68 offensive snaps playing both guard and tackle. Davis had five knockdown blocks last year.
Yes - he played mostly with the second unit in mop up time. Look, at guard he is behind Tisdale, Elmore & (when he returns) Dakota Davis. At tackle, he is behind the starters, Petry and probably Red. Not likely to be a factor other than in specials. We can hope he is serviceable in case of injuries. I give the coaches credit for moving Elmore in to fill the open spot.

Yes - he played mostly with the second unit in mop up time. Look, at guard he is behind Tisdale, Elmore & (when he returns) Dakota Davis. At tackle, he is behind the starters, Petry and probably Red. Not likely to be a factor other than in specials. We can hope he is serviceable in case of injuries. I give the coaches credit for moving Elmore in to fill the open spot.

He absolutely did not just play in "mop up time". He was part of the reorganization of the defensive line at the end of the season and played extensively in our final games. he was one of the plays credited with our improved line play. The last two were 34-56 and 39-30. There was no "mop-up time".

He absolutely did not just play in "mop up time". He was part of the reorganization of the defensive line at the end of the season and played extensively in our final games. he was one of the plays credited with our improved line play. The last two were 34-56 and 39-30. There was no "mop-up time".
Improvement in last game (Wake) was mostly due to Welch providing a running threat. Improvement in line was mostly due to Bergeron at R-OT. So, Elmore played every snap on offense in the 1st Half. Maybe Dino is saving Pat Davis? Some kind of second half surprise?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom