Wildhack Interview | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack Interview

Finwad32

Hall of Fame
On OrangeNation with Steve Infanti was solid. Infanti hit on a lot of topics...

When asked specifically about the potential of poaching Babers SHOULD we continue to ascend, JW was pretty clear that he’s always worked alongside with Babers and provides the resources he can. Left me feeling like solid about our AD’s relationship with the coach(s) throughout athletics.

I still think John was an absolute grand slam.

The following might touch more on salaries bs timing of contracts, but I have a better reason: the right coach can easily be worth 20-30 million, if not more.

Think of how much Baylor made under Briles vs before Briles. Think of how much A&M made in donations (alone) when they won a Heisman.

Paying a coach $6-7 million, plus another couple million for his staff is a steal if he can deliver. Locking the ‘right’ guy at a low rate is icing.

The above is that drives me nuts about SU. I think that we’re *finally* opening up the bank again to fund the football program. But we spent decades worrying about costs without ever considering revenue. In doing so, we missed out on a massive amount of profitability.

The following might touch more on salaries bs timing of contracts, but I have a better reason: the right coach can easily be worth 20-30 million, if not more.

Think of how much Baylor made under Briles vs before Briles. Think of how much A&M made in donations (alone) when they won a Heisman.

Paying a coach $6-7 million, plus another couple million for his staff is a steal if he can deliver. Locking the ‘right’ guy at a low rate is icing.

The above is that drives me nuts about SU. I think that we’re *finally* opening up the bank again to fund the football program. But we spent decades worrying about costs without ever considering revenue. In doing so, we missed out on a massive amount of profitability.

First of all you use examples of schools in Texas which is apples and oranges. Syracuse when it comes to football is now a sleepy private school in the Northeast whose fans are few and far between due to almost 20 years of solid losing. How did we lose out on a massive amount of profitability? We have stunk for 20 years? First you have to put a decent product on the field. You are saying that one should spend and then the wins and $$ will follow, not that easy. Syracuse has neither access to big state funds nor big donors, where do you want to the $$ to come from? The 10 years we were stuck in the Big East playing football?

Wildhack is doing fine and is doing his job. Babers staying or leaving will have everything to do with the jobs that he is actually offered and the money he can make there over here in the long term. There is no loyalty either way with universities or big coaches anymore, I don't think either side trusts the other much anymore regardless of what is said in public and nor should they. If Dino has true success I would fully expect him to leave for a much higher paying job. Those that stay are very few and far between.

I was sure I was going to read a "This guy gets it" somewhere in here.

I am done worrying about Babers leaving until he puts together a full season. Even 7-5. I would hate to see this forum if we actually starting really winning. We beat UCONN and I read " PAY THIS MAN HIS MONEY" Then we lose and it's Dino is fine but his assistants aren't very good. Funny actually

The flip side and I am not advocating one side versus the other, I have been one that says Dino needs 5-6 years as I don't think Syracuse can hire much better than Dino. The flip side is what if Dino goes 5-7?? People will be then calling for his head much like many were with Marrone after year 3. Then next year Dino goes 8-4 and he's gone.

I’m fine with extending him through ‘21 or ‘23.

That gives him 6 or 8 years and gets us through The Stadium renovation. You have to agree that his first 3 years have been better/more-entertaining than the previous 3 years.

First of all you use examples of schools in Texas which is apples and oranges. Syracuse when it comes to football is now a sleepy private school in the Northeast whose fans are few and far between due to almost 20 years of solid losing. How did we lose out on a massive amount of profitability? We have stunk for 20 years? First you have to put a decent product on the field. You are saying that one should spend and then the wins and $$ will follow, not that easy. Syracuse has neither access to big state funds nor big donors, where do you want to the $$ to come from? The 10 years we were stuck in the Big East playing football?

Wildhack is doing fine and is doing his job. Babers staying or leaving will have everything to do with the jobs that he is actually offered and the money he can make there over here in the long term. There is no loyalty either way with universities or big coaches anymore, I don't think either side trusts the other much anymore regardless of what is said in public and nor should they. If Dino has true success I would fully expect him to leave for a much higher paying job. Those that stay are very few and far between.

I am done worrying about Babers leaving until he puts together a full season. Even 7-5. I would hate to see this forum if we actually starting really winning. We beat UCONN and I read " PAY THIS MAN HIS MONEY" Then we lose and it's Dino is fine but his assistants aren't very good. Funny actually

The flip side and I am not advocating one side versus the other, I have been one that says Dino needs 5-6 years as I don't think Syracuse can hire much better than Dino. The flip side is what if Dino goes 5-7?? People will be then calling for his head much like many were with Marrone after year 3. Then next year Dino goes 8-4 and he's gone.

Interesting post. In response, one could make the argument we sucked for 20 years because we didnt spend. It is a bit chicken v the egg.

I am firmly on extending Dino long term no matter what our record is this year. To me, theres plenty of evidence to bet on him being the real deal v not.

We can't write the checks the bigger schools write. it's that simple. We don't have a big time donor underwriting the athletic department and the school isn't going to bankrupt itself for football. It's completely foolish to suggest it. And i'm happy with that as an alumni. I'd rather see Kent continue to make Syracuse a select school again and to move up the academic rankings. The prior regime destroyed the reputation of the academics at Syracuse.

Back to the football, If Dino gets a huge offer at a school he wants to coach at, so be it. I am numb to coaches moving to greener pastures. We have been blessed to have Boeheim and Pasqualoni because they were completely happy delivering big time results and not leveraging them into better opportunities. Those two coaches built sustainable programs (one longer than the other). It can happen at Syracuse with more restrictive budget constraints if you find the right people. It's a fantastic program, area if you find the right person. It's a lifetime job if you find the right person.

Let's hope Dino Babers. Is the right person. Don't lose sleep if he isn't. There are other guys out there who can deliver results too. I just like the one we have right now

IB: You realize Baylor was sleepy Texas private football program before Briles came? They played in an outdated HS like stadium about 2 miles from campus and drew crowds similar to Cuse. Looking at Briles from just the winning side he injected much money into the school and was the reason for a new 45k on-campus stadium.

The right coach absolutely brings in a net amount of cash. Dino has the it factor and we need to get ahead of the money thing and extend him this Fall.

IB: You realize Baylor was sleepy Texas private football program before Briles came? They played in an outdated HS like stadium about 2 miles from campus and drew crowds similar to Cuse. Looking at Briles from just the winning side he injected much money into the school and was the reason for a new 45k on-campus stadium.

The right coach absolutely brings in a net amount of cash. Dino has the it factor and we need to get ahead of the money thing and extend him this Fall.
Whose to say Dino would even take an extension???

If he knows he can get this team to 8 wins this year and he thinks schools will be interested in him, why would he take an extension that adds $ to his buyout and potentially turns off interested schools?

I want him to stay as much as the next guy but we all know nothing is getting done until the end of the season. At that point, any teams interested will either offer him or they won’t. If he stays, he will be extended. It’s in his best interest to wait until all chips are on table and taking the offer that is best for him and his family.

It sucks for Syracuse but there is no such thing as loyalty in this profession anymore.

While some of this might be true, and agreed Briles winning injected money, the fact is Baylor has stupid money. Baylor's biggest football donor is a billionaire and gave Baylor $200 million for that football stadium.

Baylor's also got a lot of oil money, something Syracuse will never have.

Last edited:

You don't think they haven't tried to extend him? I think it's a double edge sword. He's not looking to remove his leverage (with an increased buyout) if he isn't 100% bought into being here for 10 years. I think he's got his eyes on something like USC which may be a 2020 gig so he will be the one who will look to run out the string and hope like hell he gets the program to 9-10 wins so a program like USC can feel comfortable hiring him. They will look to a make a splash post Helton so Dino has to be the hot candidate.

I preface all this with "we don't know what Dino is thinking". He may be the second coming of Paul and wants to be here till 75.

It's still Texas. Not worth discussing. I am sure there was a list of Baylor alumni a mile long stepping up to the pump to pay for facilities, coaches, etc. That's not ever going to happen at Syracuse. I am sure many of those alumni live in Houston/ Dallas area and actually care about football. Not the same here, there is no use even comparing the two. As Phat said, there is no donor stepping up to the pump at Syracuse writing a 200 mil check, I just don't know why people even try to compare the two situations.

We also saw what Briles had to do to build a winner at Baylor as well

USC is interesting in that Helton has 1 won title and has a shot at winning the south again and will not be shocked if the beat ND. he may well just keep winning 9-10 for awhile

USC is interesting in that Helton has 1 won title and has a shot at winning the south again and will not be shocked if the beat ND. he may well just keep winning 9-10 for awhile

Agree 100%, be interesting to watch. Firing a coach with that many wins doesn't look great when trying to hire a new coach. Basically saying you need to be 12-0 or 11-1 every year or your fired. come on!!

but but but the players don't like him and they want more physical practices.. yeah until johnny from Corte madera has to miss the UCLA game with a concussion from practice and Kent a big donor from Newport Beach doesn't like it either

USC has those what the heck games like SU had with P that drive a fan base crazy.

Townie's post about Babers, his forte, etc. from a couple of weeks back or so should be pinned to the forum. It was so on point...simply perfect! Anyone on this forum who is concerned about Babers leaving should read it.

While some of this might be true, and agreed Briles winning injected money, the fact is Baylor has stupid money. Baylor's biggest football donor is a billionaire and gave Baylor $200 million for that football stadium.

Baylor's also got a lot of oil money, something Syracuse will never have.
But we have stupid Albany money ;)

I realize TX schools has lots of oil and gas money...but my point still stands the right coach brings in a ton of money. Cuse might be less...but 10k more season tickets and an increase in donations would really help. Also, Cuse student profile can increase as applications increase.

Don’t know what Dino is thinking. Don’t know what job he has is eye on or not. Don’t know what’s going to be open. Don’t know if we can afford to spend more. Don’t know what is said during his conversations with Wildhack.

Seems like a pattern.

I’m just going to enjoy having a smart, competent head coach for awhile.

Let’s not get dramatic. Baylor spent most of its football history as a joke. They went from something like 1991 until RG3 without winning a bowl. Calling them anything but a lightly followed sleepy backwater when they were bad is a little much.

But pick any school that you want that’s had success. Some professor somewhere calculated the value of Mason’s FF run, and the number was staggering. The school actually increased its academic ranking BECAUSE OF the PUBLICITY (alone) from the run.

Heck, look at the relative payouts of SU vs ACC/BE teams when we were good (‘01 ish). Again, our relative ranking was markedly higher than it is now.

And yes, the school should have invested sooner. It’s not like there aren’t massive (and obvious) pools of money that a school could tap into.

As for the rest of your post (after your first paragraph), I assume that it’s directed at the general audience vs me.