Wildhack / Sala Presser | Sept 8 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack / Sala Presser | Sept 8

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Stephen Bailey:

Wildhack isn’t taking questions yet. Turns it over to Pete Sala for Carrier Dome renovation questions. “It’s time to let our fans back in the building.”

Sala talking about entry protocols concerning Covid-19. Reiterates fans 5+ need proof of vaccination or negative test result ahead of the game. Asks individuals to bring electronic copies. Individuals need ID to match vax card/test result.

Sala said Syracuse will have five pre-screening tents set up on Saturday in hopes of getting fans in the Dome quickly. Encourages people to show up early. “We know it’s going to be a struggle.”

Sala said there may be one or two cash stands set up, but for the most part the Dome will be cashless this year. Another thing fans need to prepare for ahead of the Rutgers game.

Sala reiterated that fans must wear a mask when not eating or drinking. Feels good about air flow considering the fans set up in the Dome. On mask enforcement: Sala said SU won’t in parking lots for tailgates. Folks in Dome will make “soft push.” “We want people to have fun.”

Sala said ushers and ticket-takers held signs at commencement about mask enforcement, but SU didn’t feel good about how that went. Basically, it sounds like Syracuse doesn’t intend to enforce its mask policy. Said they don’t want to be “mask police.”

Sala on folks who don’t have proof of vaccination: “There’s going to be people that we’re just not going to be able to let in. That’s a fact.”

Sala on the notion of turning away children 5+ who don’t have a negative Covid-19 test. “That’s what the rule is and that’s going to be a very, very difficult conversation.”

Wildhack back on. Said football players asked him all offseason whether fans would be back this fall. “I think the impact that our fans can have on this team… can be even more impactful than normal after going last year with no fans.”

Last edited:
so really they want a safe place but they dont want the heat of enforcing the rules.
Playing mask police would not be fun and probably well below the ushers pay grade. I always feel bad for grocery store employees when they ask a customer to put on a mask. Some comply while others get overly aggressive and threatening.

Stephen Bailey:

Wildhack isn’t taking questions yet. Turns it over to Pete Sala for Carrier Dome renovation questions. “It’s time to let our fans back in the building.”

Sala talking about entry protocols concerning Covid-19. Reiterates fans 5+ need proof of vaccination or negative test result ahead of the game. Asks individuals to bring electronic copies. Individuals need ID to match vax card/test result.

Sala said Syracuse will have five pre-screening tents set up on Saturday in hopes of getting fans in the Dome quickly. Encourages people to show up early. “We know it’s going to be a struggle.”

Sala said there may be one or two cash stands set up, but for the most part the Dome will be cashless this year. Another thing fans need to prepare for ahead of the Rutgers game.

Sala reiterated that fans must wear a mask when not eating or drinking. Feels good about air flow considering the fans set up in the Dome. On mask enforcement: Sala said SU won’t in parking lots for tailgates. Folks in Dome will make “soft push.” “We want people to have fun.”

Sala said ushers and ticket-takers held signs at commencement about mask enforcement, but SU didn’t feel good about how that went. Basically, it sounds like Syracuse doesn’t intend to enforce its mask policy. Said they don’t want to be “mask police.”

Sala on folks who don’t have proof of vaccination: “There’s going to be people that we’re just not going to be able to let in. That’s a fact.”

Sala on the notion of turning away children 5+ who don’t have a negative Covid-19 test. “That’s what the rule is and that’s going to be a very, very difficult conversation.”

Wildhack back on. Said football players asked him all offseason whether fans would be back this fall. “I think the impact that our fans can have on this team… can be even more impactful than normal after going last year with no fans.”

Well there's your answer on the mask issue. Going to be some really happy fans and some not thrilled at all.

1631115450778.png

Sala reiterated that fans must wear a mask when not eating or drinking.

Playing mask police would not be fun and probably well below the ushers pay grade. I always feel bad for grocery store employees when they ask a customer to put on a mask. Some comply while others get overly aggressive and threatening.
thats why they have campus police.. No its not fun and you will have the same issues you had when people got too drunk.

if people think that wearing a mask is too hard to do most of the game dont come.. The people working in the dome will be wearing masks the whole time.

thats why they have campus police.. No its not fun and you will have the same issues you had when people got too drunk.

if people think that wearing a mask is too hard to do most of the game dont come.. The people working in the dome will be wearing masks the whole time.

Campus PD isn't usually in the Dome, its usually Syracuse PD with security sprinkled in. I can guarantee you they won't be getting involved in mask enforcement. SU was never going to be able to enforce a mask mandate for 20K+ people, there just getting out in front of it now by essentially saying its the rule but were not gonna enforce it.

Campus PD isn't usually in the Dome, its usually Syracuse PD with security sprinkled in. I can guarantee you they won't be getting involved in mask enforcement. SU was never going to be able to enforce a mask mandate for 20K+ people, there just getting out in front of it now by essentially saying its the rule but were not gonna enforce it.
I agree.. But I wouldnt come out and say it. You hope to get 50/50 people following the rules.. Saying it implies yea we know we should but we wont and now you get 20/80 following the rules. And for what real gain.

I agree.. But I wouldnt come out and say it. You hope to get 50/50 people following the rules.. Saying it implies yea we know we should but we wont and now you get 20/80 following the rules. And for what real gain.

Ya I can see your point on that. I would assume SU was likely getting pushback about the mask mandate and they wanted to give a wink and nod about the enforcement or lack there of.

in the seating bowl you will probably be able to spread out, the most likely spot you would catch the virus would be in the concourses/pee troughs

Ya I can see your point on that. I would assume SU was likely getting pushback about the mask mandate and they wanted to give a wink and nod about the enforcement or lack there of.

... all of which is why I wouldn't attend a game in the Dome.

I've got a huge flatscreen TV, and won't have tens of thousands without masks screaming and watching with me.

Props to all who are going, stay safe.

... all of which is why I wouldn't attend a game in the Dome.

I've got a huge flatscreen TV, and won't have tens of thousands without masks screaming and watching with me.

Props to all who are going, stay safe.

Ya its not a no-brainer call to attend. If I wasn't vaccinated I would not go I know that.

I think it all sounds good, let people go and have fun. Ushers shouldn't be asked to be enforcers, and having a stadium crawling with campus police enforcing mask mandates isn't a very good idea.

If people are uncomfortable with it, they shouldn't go.

We haven't had big crowds in years (at least not for a game like this), so what's the difference.

Ya its not a no-brainer call to attend. If I wasn't vaccinated I would not go I know that.
To be honest, if they really wanted to be safe, they would just require testing for everyone since vaccinated people can still spread (though less likely). Of course, requiring testing for everyone would really hurt attendance so I get why they won't. Testing for non vaccinated makes it more of an incentive to get vaccinated (I'd hope).

I'm vaccinated and going -- I'll keep my N95 mask on because I have younger kids who can't get vaccinated yet. I'd rather be safe when it comes to my kids, regardless of the statistics. I've done plenty during the pandemic (including Sweet 16 in Indy) but have always been safe and yet to get sick. Masks are easy way to protect yourself (and others).

Question how are children under 16 supposed to produce ID? Is that for the adults only?

Yep, calculated risk, I’m vaccinated and I know if I get it the chances of critical illness are extremely low. My wife is immunocompromised and I would only attend if she had vax plus booster. She got booster at CVS two weeks ago. I will follow the masking rules, sadly I know many will not.

Question how are children under 16 supposed to produce ID? Is that for the adults only?
My understanding is that if an adult has the proper id and the name of the adult matches the name of the child, that is going to be sufficient proof of identify for the child. That was the plan last I heard anyway.

I think it all sounds good, let people go and have fun. Ushers shouldn't be asked to be enforcers, and having a stadium crawling with campus police enforcing mask mandates isn't a very good idea.

If people are uncomfortable with it, they shouldn't go.

We haven't had big crowds in years (at least not for a game like this), so what's the difference.

then don’t have a mask mandate. They need to get off the fence. Either have a mask mandate or don’t. You can’t say everyone has to wear a mask and give a false sense of security to people and then say psyche. I am sure there will be people who go because they feel safe based upon the stated and documented protocols only to get there and find they are reality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom